Eleven: Memory Found

Be Somebody
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was three in the morning and Hyunji was sitting up in bed. She had her bed sheets up to her waist and was staring blankly at the wall. She had been asleep for a few hours since she got home. Jaebum had walked her like usual and shared a chaste kiss before going their separate ways.

She enjoyed her time with Haru, Jackson, Mark, Yugyeom and Jaebum. She laughed so much especially when they went to the Karaoke place. Jackson went a bit wild singing along to the song Up and Down by EXID and Yugyeom joined in.

Mark on the other hand was only laughing but left the room when he had his phone in his hand. It had to be Mara calling in. Jaebum only watched his friends goof off. Haru only watched and told Hyunji, she has to remember why she loves Jackson.

Everyone was just having a good time until it was time to leave. Mark and Yugyeom ended up going back to their place to see if Youngjae and BamBam were there. Jackson took Haru home and was planning to spend the night.

Hyunji wanted to take her time to get home along with Jaebum. She had told him about Jackson's idea to help Haru and she wanted to try it. If it did, she wanted to treat not only Haru but Jackson too since it was his idea and it could be helpful.

At first, Jaebum was a bit annoyed to the idea but he was willing to support whatever was possible. If it was to make her get better he was willing to accept her choice.

Hyunji got up from her bed and went to her brother's room. Every night before she went to bed, she went to his room sit on his bed and just stay there for a while and then say goodnight. It was somehow comforting. One night she was laying on his bed and had fallen asleep.

She looked around the room everything still in place and untouched just like at the condo in Jeju Island. She sat on the bed bring her knees to her chest and holding them. She the lamp that was next to the bed.

The was room still and the only thing that could be heard was her dad snoring in the next room. That's how the house was designed. It was the master bedroom, Jihun's room and then her room next to the bathroom.

Wanting to get more comfortable on the bed, she moved back against the head board and grabbed one of his pillows. Sure enough, even though he was gone, it had his scent. It smelled like a strong rich cologne that he would use all the time when he was ready to go out with his friends.

She closed her eyes taking in the scent let her mind relax hoping to find one happy moment back in Jeju Island so her nightmares would stop.

- - -

Hyunji Age Nine:

Just like every summer, Hyunji and her family were spending it at the condo. For at least a month they would have it to themselves and in the next month, Jaebum, Jinyoung and Haru would be coming over.

It was always fun to be near the beach seeing the beautiful blue green water, making sand castles and just enjoying the loving weather. But there was one thing that Hyunji hadn't done and she wanted to learn but she needed help of course.

Jihun was smiling as he was holding onto his sister by her waist. "You're doing fine Hyunji."

"What are you talking about? I'm drowning!" she yelled splashing around. She had already swallowed water about five times and saltiness in was making her more thirsty than she already was.

"You're the one making it difficult silly, just flow with the water." Jihun held onto her and helped her try again.

Another few minutes later, Hyunji had given up and wanted to go back to shore. She sat on the wet sand as the water would come to the shore and go back into the water. She let out a groan feeling annoyed at herself not being able to swim.

She wanted to learn before Jaebum, Jinyoung and Haru came by. They already knew how since last summer and she hadn't. She didn't want to be laughed at. Originally, her father was suppose to teach her but he got called for work for two weeks and her mother wasn't much of a getting into the water as before.

So Jihun had decided he would be the one to help his sister. But every time she was doing fine, she would lose focus and get scared and soon she didn't want to learn anymore.

"You were doing fine Hyunji. You just let your fear get in the way and you start to panic." Jihun spoke as he sat next to her. "Besides, even if you don't learn by the time they come over its ok. They won't laugh at you. Everyone learns at a different age."

Hyunji shook her head. "No I need to learn. What if they want to go further into the water and I can't go because I'll drown."

Jihun sighed and knew learning how to swim was a big deal for her. He wanted her to learn as well but it takes time. He looked over at her and saw a tear slid down her cheek. He stood up and held out his hand. "Come on, I'll show you how to doggy paddle and then to float and soon to swim. We have two weeks left."

Hyunji looked up at him and grabbed his hand going back into the water. She didn't want to doggy paddle, instead she wanted to learn to float on her back first and her brother helped. He held onto her a few minutes holding her arm out and making sure her waist was up.

She could feel herself going down but she managed to push her waist up by herself and Jihun slowly let go of her arm as she was floating. He smiled at the sight and grabbed her arm again before she panicked.

She did it a few more times and smiled as she felt content at herself doing good without being a baby.

Hyunji and Jihun went back to shore to take a break and drank some water to stay hydrated and then went back into the water to start doggy paddling. It was hard for her to keep her head up but she kept at it and smiled when she started going on her own.

Jihun smiled as he saw his little sister try her best. He knew she is headstrong and didn't want to give up when she wants to accomplish something. He cheered her on and they continued to practice.

The day was coming to an end and they headed home washing up and relaxing after a long day. They told their mother about their day and she was happy at how her daughter was working hard.

The next day came and Hyunji was sore from all over but it was worth it. She had seen a sticky note from Jihun saying he would be out for a while and to wait until he got back but being stubborn, she wanted to finish what she started.

She didn't wait.

She got dressed in her swimsuit and went back to the beach with sunscreen on, carrying her towel and a water bottle. She placed her things down on the sand and went to shore where the water was slowly tumbling over each other getting her feet wet. She went in a bit further and got her body wet.

After relaxing and doing a few exercises, she decided to try swimming and remembered what Jihun had told her. She brought each of her arms one by the other into the water as she pushed herself and her back legs were kicking.

She swam back to the shore and her lungs were burning like fire as she needed to catch her breath. She was happy with a smile on her face as she pushed herself up from the shore and drank some water.

As she was looking around she saw the dock where the water was deeper and smiled. She wanted to challenge herself.

Was she crazy at the age of nine? Probably.

But she wanted to learn to swim and despite that she might be desperate, she wanted to do it now.

She is indeed very stubborn.

Hyunji slowly walked her way to the front of the dock and as soon as she saw how far she was. She felt her heart pounding out of nerves and wondered maybe this was a bad idea after all. She didn't think she was ready. She turned around and started walking back to her things.

I'll wait for Jihun...

But she stopped again and did the unthinkable. She started running back to the front of the dock and jumped into the water.

Face your fear!

She felt water going into her ears clogging them up and having a hard time to breath. She pushed herself up kicking her legs and using her arms to move up. When her head was above the water. She gasped for air as it went into her lungs.

Hyunji slowly started dog paddling an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter