2/3

Roommate

Youngjae woke up with an awful pounding on his head. He had been unconscious the whole night and fall asleep on the kitchen floor where he had faint the night before. He tried to remember what happened, but before he could think of anything, he heard a slurping noise from the living room. He grunted as he got up slowly from his laying position. He rubbed his forehead and massaged his temple as he walked towards the living room.

He stopped his pace. His breath hung in the air. He could feel his heart racing, beating against his ribcage, as if they’re about to burst. He remembered what happened last night. What he saw, who he saw, was sitting leisurely on his plain white sofa with a cup of instant noodle in his hand, slurping away the noodles like a vacuum cleaner. On the coffee table, two other empty cup of that same instant noodle which he probably vacuumed out earlier were laid out messily and a half empty bottle of milk stood very dangerously close to the edge of the table.

Youngjae’s eyes widened when the unwelcomed guest turned his head towards him, smiling sheepishly before gulping another forkful of noodle. Youngjae raised his hand to his mouth and shook his head in disbelief. What was going on in his lifeless apartment in this not so average morning? “Wha-what are you do-doing in my apartment?” He managed to ask between stutter. The other gulped down the soup before in satisfaction. He put down the now empty cup on the coffee table and rubbed his full belly. “You brought me home last night.” He answered with a shrug.

Youngjae shook his head once again, unable to interpret what was going on. He didn’t bring anyone home last night, and from what he remembered, that guest look exactly like the corpse he found that terrifying night. He subconsciously took a step back, “Who are you?” He voiced out that lingering question he’s been meaning to ask since the night in the kitchen before everything went blank.

“I’m Daehyun.” Daehyun said as he got up, walking his way to the other.

“Don’t come close!” Youngjae yelled out! His hands shaking uncontrollably as he took another step back. “Don’t come close or I’ll kill you.”

Daehyun paused for a moment before letting out a gleeful laughter. “You can’t kill me, I’m already dead.”

“Ahhhhh!!! Get away get away get away!!!” Youngjae screamed. He felt it again, the feeling of unable to stay conscious, he was going to faint again. His eyes rolled to the back but he forced himself to stay strong. “God, please make him go away!!” He prayed, only causing the other to laugh. Daehyun walked back towards the sofa and sit himself at the same spot he did and patted the empty spot next to him motioning for Youngjae to come over.

But there was no stopping Youngjae from screaming. So Daehyun had to walked over to him again and personally shut him up with his hand forcefully covering his mouth while his other hand dragging Youngjae towards the sofa. Youngjae yelped into his palm, body rebelliously squirming away from the other’s grip.

“Shushh. Quiet Youngjae.” He shushed the younger boy, causing the other to widen his eyes at the mention of his name. Youngjae eventually managed to touch his ice cold hand to remove them from his mouth. “How do you know my name?” He asked breathily.

“I heard. You told the cops last night.”

And as expected from the coward, Youngjae screamed, his throat hurts from the sudden morning exercise. Daehyun covered his ears with both hands. “Ahhh!! You’re so loud!! What do I do to shut you up?”

Youngjae wanted to run away from his apartment, to get away from the ghost but Daehyun held him down just as he made a slight move to stand. Youngjae shut his eyes tightly hoping that it’ll make the ghost disappear. Then, when he felt two hands cupping his face, he opened his eyes, and in quick seconds, he felt lips crashing against his. He didn’t realize that he was finally calmed down until he saw Daehyun chuckled, “I found a way to shut you up.”

. . .

Youngjae studied his face in the mirror, it was strange. There was an unfamiliar smile on his face. He caressed that huge smile surfacing across his face, he haven’t seen them in such a long time. He looked over his shoulder towards the sleeping boy on his bed, the one responsible for that smile. It felt weird to wake up next to someone. But he was certain that this is a good kind of weird, a feeling that he never wanted to lose.

“Daehyun..” He whispered softly more to himself, with no intention to wake the other up. He stared into the mirror, reaching out to touch his own reflection. He no longer had to talk to himself, he has someone for that now. Youngjae is not alone anymore. He has a roommate.

“Mmm..” He heard Daehyun moaned. Youngjae watched as the other stretched about in his bed, rubbing his eyes with both hands before sitting up, back arched forward. His hair was a sleepy mess and Youngjae found it cute. His eyes were still close but he smiled and said with a hoarse voice, “Good morning, Youngjae.”

Youngjae’s smile widened, he got up from his seat and moved towards the bed. He shifted closer to Daehyun, moving to sit on top of him, straddling him. Daehyun wrapped his arms around the smaller boy, pulling him closer to his chest. “Did you sleep well?” Youngjae asked just above a whisper.

“I did.” Daehyun replied with a sleepy voice. He leaned back slightly so he could face the other boy, and he reached out to caress his pinkish cheek with his thumb. Youngjae leaned into the touch. Daehyun’s hand was cold, but it felt warm. Youngjae wondered how great it would be if he’d met Daehyun the day before the accident, to see him breathing and living. Or maybe an hour before the accident, maybe he could have stopped it from happening. Maybe.

But it didn’t matter anymore. Whatever happened, happened. And for all he knows, he liked it, anyway.

Everything happened so fast. Just the previous morning he was scared out of his wits of the other guy but now all he want to do is to cuddle with him, to get clingy, to be with him all the time.

After the kiss yesterday, Youngjae remained calm. Everything felt right, as if he’s supposed to get that kiss, from that person, at that time. As if, if Daehyun was still alive, they’d still meet, they’d still kiss, in that same morning. Youngjae knew it felt right, so he smiled and pulled the unwelcomed guest for another kiss, and it was magic. Their kiss deepened and something in their hearts sparked. The longing was greatly felt, like it was meant to be. They were meant to be.

And what followed after was his usual routine, the coffee, the toast, the walk down the apartment, the shower and so on. The difference was that someone was there to finish his coffee and his toast, someone was there to walk down the apartment with him, and he wasn’t in the shower alone. It was sweet, and Youngjae acknowledged the strange and wonderful way his heart beat for the other guy.

They talked, Daehyun told him that he lived in a crappy, shared apartment, his parents were long gone, work was stressful, his pays were barely enough for his rent, and he was on the verge of breaking down. Youngjae learned that life was hard on Daehyun and that maybe, just maybe, it wasn’t an accident. That taking his life was the only option left. But he won’t ask.

All Youngjae could do was to hug him as Daehyun told him the story of his unpleasant and lonely life. Youngjae was lonely, too. But it wasn’t that bad. He wondered how bad it has been for Daehyun.

“Youngjae, want to do something fun tonight?” Daehyun asked, patting Youngjae’s soft brown hair.

“Like what?” Youngjae moved away from Daehyun, helping him to get up.

“Now that I’m a ghost…” Daehyun scratched the back of his neck before hesitantly added, “I kinda want to go around scaring people.”

Youngjae let out a giggle then quickly covered his mouth. A blush made its way to Daehyun’s cheek. It’s cute how embarrassed he looked.

“…Never mind. Forget it.” He cleared his throat.

Youngjae burst into laughter into his palms, eyes squeezed. “Sounds fun, Daehyun. But only after I finish writing down my entry.”

Daehyun jumped in excitement, joy all over his face.