Supermoon

Supermoon

“So what was the point of this again?” You asked, leaning back in the car seat, placing your feet on the dashboard and taking a bite into a particularly large sized chip.

 

“I told you, there’s a supermoon tonight.” Sunggyu responded, a small laugh escaping his lips as he watched you get comfortable. You hadn’t been driving long, and in all honesty you weren’t sure where it was that you were going. All you knew was that Sunggyu had texted you to dress warm, bring blankets and pillows, and prepare to see something amazing.

 

“A supermoon.” You repeated. You were approaching the outskirts of the city, so you weren’t sure if the extra bright moon following you along the dark road was this so called ‘amazing’ thing he wanted to show you. It seemed a little bit silly to you, to drive an hour outside of town just to stare at a full moon, as if that didn’t happen very often. You did however enjoy the idea of a night drive with Sunggyu.

 

“I promise,” he said reaching across to your and entwining his fingers with yours, the other hand on the steering wheel, “It’ll look so much better once we’re outside the city.”

 

You nodded, squeezing his hand and smiling to reassure him. You knew this was Sunggyu’s attempt at romance, and how could you possibly dislike that?

 

Sunggyu held your hand the rest of the way, gently rubbing his thumb against the back of it. The action left a tingling sensation on your skin, filling you with a sense of warmth as you settled into the seat and enjoyed the calm of night as you drove through the darkness. Being with him made you feel warm and safe, things you didn’t usually say out loud to him because it would only inflate his ego more. Soon enough you arrived at a small parking lot at the top of a mountain, and you scowled internally because your mini road trip was over.

 

“We’re here.” Sunggyu smiled, parking the car and getting out. You sighed, not wanting to get out of the car to sit in the cold, but you figured you owed it to Sunggyu to go along with his date night plan. You got out of the car and walked around the the trunk, where Sunggyu was pulling out your jackets and the blankets and pillows. He handed you your jacket, helping you slip it on, making sure it was zipped up before pulling on his own. It was fall, so there wasn’t any snow yet, but the temperatures had begun to plummet. The air tonight was cool and crisp, the puffs of your breaths visible. The air out here was delicious you thought to yourself, taking a deep breath and feeling your lungs fill.

 

“Come on.” Sunggyu said, drawing your attention back to him. He had a backpack slung over his shoulders, and carried a stack of pillows and blankets in his hands. The pile was so tall you could barely see his head behind it. It made him look shorter and a little bit childish, making him all the more adorable.

 

“Let me help.” You said, a laugh bubbling out of your lips. Sunggyu chuckled and handed you the pillows, which you slipped under an arm.

 

“Lead the way.” You waved with your free hand, following him down the dirt path along the mountain. Not wanting to get lost in the darkness, you reached out and finding his arm, looped yours around his, bringing your bodies as close together as you could while walking.

 

“So explain to me again why this is so cool?” You asked, a slight teasing tone in your voice. You couldn’t see his face very well but if you had to guess, you would say he was rolling his eyes at you.

 

“It’s a supermoon. So the moon is closer to the Earth and it looks bigger and brighter than it usually does.”

 

“Uh huh,” you said, leaning your head against his shoulder, “and why do we have to drive an hour outside the city?”

 

“Don’t complain, you like night drives.”

 

“I do, but I think the drive would be better than wandering down a dark path in the cold.” You whined, squeezing his arm.

 

“I’ll keep you warm.” He laughed again, turning to press a kiss against your temple. It was your turn to roll your eyes, but before you could say something sassy about his cheesy comment, the two of you rounded a corner and the view stopped you in your tracks. The mountain overlooked the city, far enough away to make the illuminated buildings look like tiny, colorful lights. The sky above you was filled with stars, more than you had ever seen before, and you were sure this was some sort of trick because there was no way that many stars existed in this universe. But the biggest surprise was the moon, sitting in its shining glory in between the city sprawled beneath you and the stars decorating the night sky. It shone impossibly bright, filling the entire space around you in a magical glow and leaving you utterly speechless.

 

Sunggyu watched you in amusement, enraptured more by your reaction to the view than the view itself. The glow of the moonlight wrapped you in a halo of light that made him swear if angels existed they would look something like you.

 

“I told you.” He laughed again, a light, happy sound. You turned to face him and he leaned in, kissing you with such tenderness you forgot what it was you were going to say. Your body filled with warmth, spreading from your chest out to your fingertips. He pulled away, a smile spread across his face, and you took a second to steady yourself, watching as he laid out the blankets and pulled the pillows out of your grasp to place them on top. He sat down, pulling off his backpack and patting the space next to him for you to sit. You complied, still at a loss for what to say. He had far exceeded your expectations for tonight.

 

“Here.” He handed you a paper cup, filled with a dark liquid.

 

“Where-”

“I come prepared,” He grinned, motioning toward his backpack, “Be careful, it’s hot.”

 

You took a tentative sip, groaning in satisfaction when the warm liquid filled your mouth. Hot chocolate was one of your favorite things about the cold weather, and it felt amazing to drink it now, sitting in the cold night air. Sunggyu took a sip of his own drink, letting out a satisfied sigh before settling comfortably against the pillows and gazing out at the view.

 

“You were right, this is amazing.” You said quietly, a smile spreading across your face. You’ve never seen a view quite like this, and sitting here with Sunggyu you feel incredibly lucky.

 

“Wait say that again, but let me record you this time.” He joked, causing you to shove him lightly.

 

“Seriously,” You turned to face him, “thank you for sharing this with me.”

 

Sunggyu looked back at you a smile still settled on his face. He had been nervous about bringing you out here just to look at the moon, but he figured this was a once in a lifetime chance, and he wanted to share it with you. He nodded, unable to find the right words to express his gratitude for having you in his life, instead, leaning forward and kissing you eagerly again.

 

When you finally pulled away, you settled your head on his shoulder gazing out at the shining moon.

 

“So tell me something, anything.” He said, resting his head on yours.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Mmm...tell me a secret.”

 

“A secret?” You laughed, trying to find something you haven’t shared with him already, and said “Okay, before our first date I spent two days rehearsing possible conversations with my best friend.”

 

“What?” He laughed loudly, and you felt a blush creep across your cheeks.

 

“I was really nervous, and I was scared I wouldn’t know what to say to you and end up looking like an idiot. It didn’t matter anyway because the second you showed up I had forgotten everything we had practiced.”

 

Sunggyu laughed, shaking his head in amusement. He couldn’t be surprised, it did sound like something you would do, and it was pretty adorable that you had gone to such great lengths to prepare for their first date.

 

“Okay then, you tell me a secret now.” You said, feigning annoyance. Sunggyu continued to laugh, his broad smile shining extra brightly in the moonlight.

 

“Okay,” He said after a few seconds when his laughter had subsided, “The first time I saw you, I told Woohyun I was going to marry you one day.”

 

“What?” You replied, awkwardly chuckling.

 

He turned to look at you, putting down his hot chocolate and taking your hand.

 

“I knew the day I first saw you that you were the girl of my dreams. I love you, more than I’ve ever loved anyone.”

 

The honesty in his eyes as he said those words left you dumbstruck. What was he saying? You could tell from the way he looked at you he was being sincere, and yet you didn’t know how to react, because you loved him too, but surely no one, especially not you, could be lucky enough to feel this.

 

“Oh my God, you’re not planning on proposing are you?” You said before you could think, spitting out the first ridiculous thing that came to mind to deflect the intensity of what you were feeling.

 

“What? No! Not tonight,” he laughed incredulously, “That would way too much for tonight.”

 

You laughed too, feeling your face warm again in embarrassment. You buried your face in his neck to try and hide your embarrassment.

 

“Hey,” said Sunggyu, pulling you up to look at him, “I mean it though.”

 

You looked down at your hands, still intertwined together and feel the fullness of your emotions take over your body. Suddenly sitting there with Sunggyu you realized you couldn’t feel the cold anymore. Even the beauty of the moonlight paled in comparison to the incredible sense of happiness you got from sitting there, hands laced together, knowing there was no one in the world you could possibly love more than you loved him.

 

You moved closer to him, pressing your forehead against his, feeling your heart swell, and whispering, “I love you too.”

 

Your lips connected again, his warmth and the taste of chocolate on his lips filling your senses. And you decided as he kissed you tenderly in the light of the supermoon, that magic had to exist, because it was the only possible explanation for what you were feeling in that moment.