Yeri: Furioso

Of Cadences And Chrysanthemums

 

Yeri wants to do nothing more than to kiss away the tears of the woman in front of her, but she knows better than to take advantage of the situation and do something that she may regret in the future. Instead, she takes Joy into her arms and cradles her gently, patting her back in slow, fluid motions, consoling as the brunette breathes erratically through her sobs. Yeri sighs inwardly; she should have noticed this before, when all the girls were together in the room, and perhaps Seulgi would think twice before blowing up at Joy.

 

But now is not the time to think of 'if's. As Yeri feels Joy’s breathing lighten and slow down, she realises that the older woman has dozed off. Probably exhausted from crying, she thinks, and gingerly rises from the couch to retrieve some water for the both of them, laying Joy’s head down on a cushion in the process. She makes her way to the kitchen, her feet softly padding on the carpet floor, and pours warm water into two separate red-coloured mugs, listening to the steady trickle of water like a drizzle of raindrops on an autumn day. Yeri laughs; is being poetic her coping mechanism when under stress? Maybe.

 

The doorbell rings then, a rapid three jabs. Yeri, still armed with her mug, looks through the peephole, already half annoyed by this stranger who didn't know how to ring the doorbell just once and wait patiently. “What the…?” Her eyes widen as they meet Seulong’s through the tiny circular glass, and she flinches when he bangs fists on the door.

 

Joy stirs from her nap, the repetitive piercing noise ringing in her ears. “Ugh… who is it?”

 

“Joy?” At the sound of her name in that deep, guttural voice, Joy is instantly wide awake and back-pedals on the couch, hugging her pillow to her chest. “Joy, I know you're in there!”

 

The two girls stare at each other, terrified, and have a telepathic conversation lest Seulong hears their voices. How did he find this address? Yeri asks.

 

I don't know, but what do we do now? He's here! Just on the other side of the door. Joy is visibly panicked, and the scars on her body tingle, her nerves enhanced by the proximity of the man who caused them.

 

Yeri points to their phones lying on the coffee table next to Joy. Call the unnies. Then she gestures to  the bedrooms and mouthed hide. Joy nods and shakily makes her way to a bedroom, her legs threatening to give out under her as she struggles to move without sound. Once Yeri is certain that the other woman is safely out of sight, she in a breath and pulls the door open. “Can I help-”

 

Her question is interrupted by Seulong, who pushes her aside and stomps into the apartment. “Joy?” His voice is searching, almost pleading, as he calls her name repeatedly. “Joy, I’m sorry, I was drunk. Please forgive me…” Yeri grows increasingly annoyed as he continuously apologises profusely, knowing very well that this type of man is not the type to mean any of it.

 

He spots a closed door then, shadows of feet peeking out from the gap between the door and the floor, and starts to make his way towards them. Yeri jumps in front of him, arms akimbo and eyes fiercely glaring up at the tall, short-haired brunette. “You’re not welcome here,” she snaps, gathering all the fury in her tiny body.

 

“Oh?” Seulong glances down at Yeri and raises his eyebrows. “Who are you?” He peers at her with a frown on his face, and she stares back with fire in her eyes. “You’re hiding her, aren’t you?” He shoves her aside roughly with a hand, but she bounces back with greater determination to protect the brunette.

 

“You have to get past me first.” Her words hold not a single trace of fear in them, although if her mind had been a bit clearer she might have hesitated, considering the significant difference in size — and certainly strength — between her and Seulong. But to heck with common sense and fear, she thinks to herself as she balls up her fists and raises them in a boxing stance. Yeri is more than prepared to do anything to stop him from gaining any more distance towards Joy, her protective instincts greatly heightened, and she braces for the impact.

 

The impact of Seulong’s entire body against hers catches her totally by surprise as he slams into her with all his weight, and Yeri goes flying down the corridor. The back of her head crashes into a wall, making a very definitive resounding crack as she sinks to the floor. Through the haze that clouds her eyes she barely make out the man’s imposing figure and though her limbs feel heavy she launches herself out with all her strength and latches onto his leg.

 

“ing , get off me!” He tries to shake her off, but Yeri is gripping at his calf with all the might of a koala bear, and bites him through his jeans for good measure, making him howl with frustration and pain. He shoves her away with a palm to her head and a well-timed kick, sending her sliding across the tiles until she hits the bedroom door.

 

Yeri gets up still, using the doorframe as support, her chest heaving and one eye blinded by a sticky substance that trickles down her forehead and cheek. She prepares for her final attack, and hurls herself at him, the momentum bringing them both down. Seulong pushes her off him and gets on his feet, ready to battle it out, and even though Yeri does whatever she can to stand up she has already lost all her energy.

 

The bedroom door bursts open just then, Joy leaping out to catch her as Yeri’s knees begin to buckle from underneath her. Seulong stands there, angry and shocked, and is about to grab Joy when the trio hear a voice behind them from the living room.

 

“Mr Im Seulong, you’re under arrest. Please put your hands up and move away from the girls.” At those words, Yeri exhales with relief and blacks out as small droplets of ruby-red drip onto the floor.