THE FIRST

Colors

No one ever forgets the first.

 

I can still perfectly remember every detail of that moment when I first saw you. How could I not?

 

You were there sitting at the dimmest seat side of the cafeteria -- on a one-seater table. The same usual table of mine whenever I come in here because I never intend to share a cup of coffee with anyone. Because coffee time means alone time which I celebrate every afternoon of my existence. I had been a regular here ever since I moved into town a year ago and people never took that seat because it probably leaked off my possessive scent. That is the first theory. Second is that people never came in alone unlike me. And third, people who come in alone never really want to be alone in their own space. They are constantly in pursuit of warm company besides their coffee. After all, we all crave for affection.

 

But you were alone like me and it made me think if alone people match well with alone people or do they clash?

 

I studied you closely but not obviously. You had long hair that looked better than any girl’s salon hair. I imagined my hands running through it and facing you inches away. Far enough to avoid spontaneous moments of kissing but close enough that you could take my breath away. And I can take yours.

 

You were looking outside with your chin perched atop your hand like you were studying every single drop of rain. Your other hand was holding a pencil and on the table was a draft of something I could not make of. And a cup of coffee was sitting quietly on the far side of the table.

 

You gently put down the pencil you were holding and sipped the coffee without taking your eyes off outside. And gods, you were beautiful.  

 

“Hyung. Here’s your coffee.” Someone called for me at the counter and I snapped from my romantic study of human anatomy. “Hey, do you know him?” I asked, gesturing towards the young man occupying my favorite seat.

 

“No. He just came in a couple of hours ago.” He looked at me and pointed towards the coffee served on the counter and went back to his work. This cafe was popular among locals as well as travelers because they always serve good coffee and the one who serves the coffee also looks good. That is why there is always a fairly long line of people especially during the dead hours of the afternoon when no one wants to do real work.

 

I studied him even more closely now. I became more attentive to this young man who stole more than just my seat. My heart was beating rapidly like I just came from a long and exhausting walk.

I noticed now that he was wearing a polo, with the two topmost buttons open wide revealing a peek of his collarbone. It was folded three-fourths up matched with fitting pants and docs.

 

“He would be the perfect character inspiration for my next novel.” I muttered, quite surprised I actually said it out loud.

 

“So are you going to enjoy the coffee or the scenery?” The barista chuckled and shook his head at me. I did not know I was holding my coffee ready to take a sip.

 

I chuckled back. “Mingyu-ya.”

 

“Hmm? Don’t ask me to come there and make him go just because that is your usual seat. Besides I’m too busy.” He smirked at me. Ah, this kid. I looked at him and made a face. His brows creased. “Ah hyung. Don’t make that face. Aren’t you too old for that?” Then proceeded to make the same face that I just did. I sighed.

 

“I am never too old for anything. Also, that wasn’t what I was going to ask you.” I sighed again. “Don’t you think he is the perfect protagonist for my next novel?” I told him as I silently sipped in my coffee that was now cold because I was too busy staring.

 

He glanced up at me once and glanced next to the young man I was referring too. “Probably. If he would make your next novel a hit. Why not?”

 

“You mean if it would not make hyung’s novel a flop just like his two previous works. Then why not?” A voice butted in the conversation. Of course, that would be Wonwoo. Mingyu’s complicated relationship. He’s also a regular and a bookworm who also happened to be my editor. He had been gracious enough to read my works underpaid. He is a gentle kid but he could be a total savage commenter at times. I read through too much of those comments in my works that I actually did not want to go through revisions.

 

“You’re too mean, Wonwoo hyung.” Mingyu said in my defense. “Cut Cheol hyung some slack. Here’s your frappe.”

 

Wonwoo did not say anything back and just ordered an extra muffin. Then proceeded to his usual seat and silently read a book. Everyday, he goes in with a different book at hand. Everyday, he orders the same things that Mingyu had him memorized. These two have something special going on between them but I consider it a special but complicated relationship. Wonwoo is the king of all tsunderes while Mingyu is the king of affection. Two very different personalities like two different worlds trying to merge together. They are both gentle kids whom I love and I’m worried that they are opening themselves into a heartbreak. Nevertheless, I cannot meddle in and I wouldn’t want to. If they want to give it a go then get hurt in the process, it would be the risk that they should decide if they want to take.

 

“Should I make you another cup? That one’s too cold already.” Mingyu offered.

 

“No need to. But thanks. I have other plans today.”

 

“You mean enjoying the scenery?” He laughed lightly. “You seem to really like that guy. And for once, an afternoon not devoted to yourself alone.” I had been far away from home for too long and Mingyu is the closest thing to family. His words had a slight pinch to my heart. It was meant out of tease and concern but it had a bitter undertone. I know he looks up to me as more than just a neighborhood hyung but I have always liked my alone time. I looked at him and I just smiled. “You know I care for you more than you think I do. Thanks again for the coffee.” And then I finally made my way to my usual seat.

 

A/N: (From a fansign, I think... if you're curious. Just saw this so I did not rget it right in the story haha) SCoup's favorite drink at a cafe is latte. Jeonghan likes americano and vanilla latte. Wonwoo, on the other hand, likes green grape juice. And Mingyu loves Americano.