hopeless, breathless, how careless of me

head over heels in the moment

 

head over heels in the moment
Daehyun/Youngjae

 

 

Over the past few days, it has become a frequent occurrence for Youngjae to look up and come face to face with a thousand-watt smile. The tacky shade of tungsten lights and the gaussian blur of neon composes the backdrop to a man with wrinkles down his cheeksone who stands by the lamppost at seven in the evening along fifth avenue. There is always that constant tempo of brewing rain, what with the monsoon season here and November closing in.

Jung Daehyun is his name, and he wears a pair of broad, fluorescent smiles and thick eyebrows. He works as the bank teller across the street and knocks off exactly at six. Youngjae has seen him wandering about several times while on his own short breaks before he clocks out, Daehyun peeking through the post office's windows and bashfully turning away when Youngjae notices him.

It is a common cliche, really, scooped right out of the romance novels packed in the shelves by the newspaper stand. Daehyun claims to have fallen head over heels in love with the man upon seeing him on a rainy day, greyish skylines and the chilly humidity cementing their unofficial, first meeting. Youngjae had been standing by the post office's door, waiting for the downpour to let up. Daehyun maintains that he could not forget about Youngjae ever since then, and had decided to approach him upon finding out Youngjae worked just a short walk away from his own office.

Youngjae doesn't know whether to believe it, though the initial surprise and embarrassment has seeped away into unadulterated amusement. The clock in the office chimes and he lets out a short breath, stacking up the paperwork in his hands and shelving them for tomorrow. Out of habit, he lifts his gaze, and as expected, he catches sight of a figure by the doorway. Daehyun is leaning against the wall by the door frame, glimpse of half his back enough to make Youngjae deliquesce into a bubble of chuckles and tingles down to his metacarpals.

Daehyun checks his watch and tugs himself off the wall, spinning around and peeking into the office. He meets Youngjae's eyes and Youngjae feels just a bit dizzy as the bristling city lights drench Daehyun's hair. Daehyun seems to lose himself for that moment as well, but a glint flickers in his irises after a moment and he melts into a smile. In his hand is the usual takeaway, since he insists on getting dinner every single weekday for Youngjae.

Daehyun's smile is really quite dazzling against the throng of the five-to-nine and rushes of convertibles and radio trails along the road. For a moment, Youngjae feels a bit breathless, so he churns out a small smile and keeps his laughter to himself.

 


i posted this on my plot bunny box but i decided to post it up since i wasn't continuing it >< thank you for reading!