Fall

Under the Sakura Tree

2018. 04. 21. 

"Falling leaves... like a scene in a romance movie. When the girl puts her head on the guy's lap and they watch the sky together." Byulyi said as she sat down under a huge sakura tree. "But why didn't you put yours on mine..." 

2008. 04. 21. 

Byulyi was seating under the sakura tree with her notebook, pushing up her glasses before scribbling more lyrics on the pages. Looking up into the sky, she hums a few notes before looking down and scribbling again. The irony of her tranquillity amongst the crowd of the school was laughable but she was your outcast, not that she minded. She moved to Korea from America and the only thing she liked was the sakura trees, which she honestly thought only grew in Japan. 

Byulyi sighed and leaned against the tree. "Let us enter neverland..." She mutters before her book was pulled out of her hands. Her eyes widen and she looked up, staring straight into the eyes of the queen bee, Kim. Yong. Sun. 

"What's this?" Yongsun asked, flipping through the pages. Surprisingly, her swarm of bees ain't around her. 

"Nothing, give it back." 

"If it's nothing, I could keep it." 

"It's something, it's mine. Hand it over." 

"I hate myself in the mi-" Byulyi snatches her notebook back. "You could have just asked for it back." 

"I literally just did and you ignored it." Byulyi stuffs the notebook in her bag and starts walking off. Yongsun catches up with her. 

"You're Byulyi, right?" 

"No, I'm nobody." 

"So Byulyi, were you writing songs?" 

"Can you please leave me alone?" Byulyi pulls her hoodie on, cautious of the stares she's getting for the first time. It's no surprise, she's standing next to Yongsun.

"I heard you singing, was it neverland? Do you like Peter Pan? I love Wendy..." Byulyi sighs as she tries to ignore Yongsun and takes the step into the saferoom. 

"Leave," Byulyi said as she stopped and slammed the door in Yongsun's face, quickly locking the door before she could enter. Sighing yet again, she drops her bag and walks over to the piano in her safe room, the band room. The band room was abandoned after the club disbanded last year but not having a new club to take over the room, they left everything as it is. Looking at the clock which literally spells "You're late by an hour." She ignores it and starts playing the piano. 


It's been beautiful
I don't wanna love you
I became wavered
It became tears that I couldn't erase
It's too late to be hurt
I don't want to go back

My never forget love
I hate myself in the mirror
I hate myself in the mirror

My heart that freezes tonight

Will I have to wipe my tears again?

 

2008. 08. 16.  

"Whatcha doing?" 

"Seriously, why are you pestering me?" Byulyi throws her bag towards Yongsun and Yongsun catches it. 

"Cause I want to." Yongsun hums, she plumps herself down next to Byulyi and places her bag next to her. 

"You're annoying." 

"And you're mean." 

Byulyi turns and faces her back towards Yongsun. Yongsun pouts but peeks over her shoulder, "What are you writing today?" 

"In my room." 

"In my room huh..." Yongsun rests her head on Byulyi's shoulder and looks at her face. "This is the first time you told me." 

Byulyi looks at Yongsun and quickly retracts back, coughing, "Y-yeah, so what?" 

"Are we friends now?" Yongsun smiled so wide that Byulyi wonders if her cheeks are going to cramp. 

"Yeah, whatever," Yongsun screams and hugs Byulyi, which Byulyi reacts by trying to push her off but you know... the company didn't hurt. 

2008. 12. 24. 

"Don't you have a party to go to or something." Byulyi was under the sakura tree that lost its leaves and flowers and the grass is white. Yongsun's a few steps away, playing around with the snow. 

"I've gone to many." 

"Then why stay around here? Aren't you like, the queen bee." Yongsun turns around and squints her eyes, she stands up and walks closer to Byulyi. Byulyi's eyes widen. "W-what?" 

Yongsun squats right in front of her and stares into her eyes. "You call me... queen bee?" Byulyi gulps and nods. "That's... kinda cute but I'm not. Plus, I like hanging out with you over parties." She chuckles and sits next to Byulyi. "So, why do you come to school even though it's the break." 

Byulyi looks up at the branches of the trees. "I like this tree." 

"That's all?" 

"Yep." 

"Then..." Yongsun rests her head on Byulyi's shoulder. Byulyi raises an eyebrow. "I like you." 

"W-what?" Byulyi's cheeks were a bright red.

"You're a good friend and you have a comfy shoulder." Yongsun chuckles. "That's why I wanna stay here with you." 

In My Room

Everyday... I see you smile. 

2010. 04. 15. 

The sakura tree is in full bloom, it's pink petals flying down and painting the green canvas pink. Byulyi is yet again under the tree and Yongsun was next to her. 

"It's pretty..." Yongsun smiles as she looks up. Byulyi watches her for a while before standing up. She tiptoes and reaches for the lowest branch, pulling off a sakura and sitting back down. 

"Come closer," Byulyi says as she puts the flower in Yongsun's hair. She leans back a little and smile. "Now you're the pretty one." 

Yongsun starts laughing and hitting Byulyi. "You're so cheesy, this is weird!" Byulyi laughs as well. 

"Rest on my lap, you can get a good view," Byulyi says as she pats her leg. Yongsun stares at her for a while and for the first time, Byulyi couldn't read her expression. 

"That's okay." Yongsun smiles but something was off. "I need to go to my class now." 

"See you later?" Yongsun didn't reply. 

2011. 09. 25.

Red leaves fall and Byulyi wipes off the blood from the corner of her lips. She looks up at the sky. 

"Yongsun! Why aren't you talking to me?"

"You should leave me alone."

"Then why do you stay when I wanted to be left alone?"

"Byulyi, please..."

"Dude, is she disturbing you?" A buff guy came and wrapped his arm around Yongsun. "Didn't you hear her, scram!"

Byulyi looked at Yongsun and Yongsun looked away. "Answer me... please..." Byulyi begged.

"S-she's disturbing me..." Yongsun mutters and the guy smirks. "Teach her a lesson boys, let's go, babe." He says as he brings Yongsun away and other guys come towards Byulyi.

This is why she hates getting attached. Byulyi runs towards the danger instead of away because the danger is where Yongsun is at.

"Why am I like this..."

2011. 12. 12.

It's graduation day for Yongsun and she was surrounded by all her bees again. Byulyi sighed as she watched from afar. She took out her notebook and continued scribbling until a ring falls out of the book. She stares at it for a while before picking it up and looking at the inscription, "BYUL 4 WITH SUN". She picks it up and throws it far away and continues scribbling... then she stood up and picked up the ring again, stuffing it in her back pocket. Taking one last look at Yongsun, she turns and walks away.  

2014. 06. 19.

Confetti pops and everyone cheers. A banner hangs, "Congratulations on debuting, Moonbyul!" 

"Moonbyul, you should celebr-" Wheein says and turns to see no one. 

Byulyi walks down the same road and turns, facing the sakura tree. She looks around for a stone before heading to the tree and carving out a small hole. She pulls out the ring and stuffs it in. 

"I'm letting you go," Byulyi wipes her tears, "though I wish I knew what happened."

Should I stay up all night again?

When I miss you I can't meet you

But I can see you

2016. 08. 20.

Byulyi spins the pen between her fingers skilfully until her album was placed in front of her and she pulls the cap off with her teeth. 

"Have you been well?" A familiar voice rang and Byulyi froze. She looked up and those brown eyes looked back at her. Those brown eyes used to shine but it lost its light. 

"Yongsun." Yongsun smiles, the same kind she gave when Byulyi told her to lie down on her lap. 

"I'm sorry, I couldn't-" 

"It's over already. I don't need to know." Byulyi quickly signs and hands her the album. "Thank you for supporting me." 

Yongsun opens but closes it again, she turns away and walks off and Byulyi just watches her back as she leaves. 

"Moonbyul oppa! Marry me!" The next fan brought Byulyi back to reality and Byulyi smiles, it's over... right? 

2018. 04. 21. 

Byulyi rubs her eyes and stretches her hand over to answer her ringing phone. 

"... is this Byulyi?" 

"Is this another sasaeng?" Byulyi groans and almost ends the call.

"Wait! It's Yongsun!" Byulyi paused.

"You're not her." Byulyi knows her voice too well. 

"I'm her sister, I just had to do what Yongsun left me to do." 

"Left you to do?" 

"Yongsun... she killed herself a year ago, I found a note from cleaning her room and it was for you..." 

"Wait... what?" Byulyi couldn't process it, Yongsun... was dead? That's not true, right? 

"... she... it's not her fault, Byulyi." 

"Can we meet up, I want that note." Byulyi bites her lips, trying to stop the tears threatening to come out. 

Byulyi held onto the note, under the sakura tree. 

There are a lot of things I wanted to say to you, Byulyi... but when you moved on I realise I was the only one standing still. 
I liked you, no, I loved you. 
But it's weird, girls liking girls? 
The way I felt with you... it was like I'm drowning and you pulled me back up. 
I tried, coming to terms with my feelings for you. 
I wanted to tell you until I heard the rumours, they were calling you bad things just because they think you're... gay. 
I didn't need you to hurt for me. 

I'm sorry I can't do this anymore. 
Everyone knows and they keep screaming. 
Calling me cursed or something just because I like a girl? 
Everything's wrong... 
I should have told you so I wouldn't have regrets. 
I love you, Moon Byul Yi. 
You were the stars that led me out. 

Byulyi punched the tree and the tears kept rolling down her cheeks. "You stupid fool, I love you too..." 

She reached into the hole she made and pulled out the ring and slid it on her own finger. 

Byulyi sat down under the tree and Yongsun smiles at her. She smiles back and Yongsun lies down and rests her head on Byulyi's lap. 

"We could have ended up like a fairytale." Byulyi whispers, tears fall from her eyes and Yongsun wipes them off with her thumb, she shakes her head and pulls Byulyi in. Sitting up, she plants her lips on Byulyi's and Byulyi opens her eyes. She's gone. 

Today

"Since when were you married..." Wheein asks, playing with Ggomo. 

"Since 2008," Byulyi replies as she put on her suit. "I'm going to visit her." 

"You were 16 then." 

"Bye, Wheein." Byulyi shuts the door before Wheein could ask more.

Byulyi stands in front of a grave that reads "Kim Yong Sun", she sighs and places her bouquet of rose. She looks up as the sakura leaves fall. 

Let us go to Neverland
Where they can't reach us
You can be you
and I could be me
We  could be whoever we want to be
Take my hand and fly with me 
To a place, we'd forever be 
Right next to each other 
Against the world 
Forever, under our sakura tree.