one

Maybe you

Jinki stared, mesmerized,  as a tiny snowflake gently landed on Jonghyun's eyelash. The younger blinked a few times and fully tilted his head to face the evening sky, white cotton slowly but surely starting to flutter down around them.

"Oh my gosh, Jinki! The first snow of the year!"

This was it. This was totally it. Jinki ped his coat enough to reach in his hidden pocket to grab the small velvety box he had been carrying around for a month now, his heartbeat a loud noise in his ears. Jonghyun was still facing upwards, snow mingling in the soft silver of his hair, giggling in happiness and hanging onto Jinki’s shoulder with both hands.

There was no nervousness, only pure excitement. He knew he wanted to marry Jonghyun by the end of their first date, and that was six years ago; the only thing he was in need of was a little magic,  which is why he always had the ring on him. Thankfully, the stars had aligned in their favor once again.

"I hope it snows all night, everything is going to look so pretty tomorrow morning- Jinki? What are you-" Jonghyun teared his gaze away from the few twinkling stars visible when he felt the solid presence of his boyfriend slide from under his fingers, only to find him kneeling on the ground. He instinctively put both hands on his shoulders, always seeking contact.

"What's wr- oh."

Jinki felt the ground shake beneath him when those beautiful eyes immediately turned misty and the fingers on his shoulders tightened their grip, so he lowered his other leg too, both knees on the slightly wet grass of the park right in front of their building. He felt like jelly; his arms felt like jelly when he held up the box to Jonghyun and opened it.

"Jonghyun-ah."

Jonghyun had tears rolling down his face like the snowflakes that were falling in earnest by now, his cheeks puffing out a little as he started to take big breaths in to try and not start sobbing.

Jinki couldn't stop smiling. "Jonghyun-ah, you are the love of my life. The absolute love of my life. I've known I wanted to marry you ever since you got on your tiptoes to kiss my cheek goodnight after our first date."

Jonghyun let out a whimper and threw himself down to be eye-level with Jinki, scooting closer until their knees were touching and the box was a little squashed between them, Jinki still holding it open.

"You bring me joy. Love. There's nothing more I want than to hear you sing first thing in the morning for the rest of my life. Kim Jonghyun, will you marry me?"

Jonghyun squeezed his eyes shut, giving in to the full crashing wave of emotion filling his heart.

"Yes- I will! oh my god I love you so- so much."

"Yeah?" Jinki breathed, sure that his smile was about to rip his face in half.

"Yeah!"

Jonghyun watched as Jinki took the simple silver band from the box, took his right hand from his shoulder into his, and slid the ring up his finger. They both started laughing, Jonghyun latching his arms around Jinki's neck to bring him down with him, the both of them landing on the grass, laughing their hearts out. Jinki had tears in eyes too and as he cupped Jonghyun's cheek to bring them into their first kiss as an engaged couple, snow falling to frame their forms just for those few moments, he thought  that life couldn't get better than this.

They were getting married.


“Come on, just tell us now, we all know Taemin’s going to finish at midnight.” Kibum said, waving his wine glass in Taemin’s general direction, the last one to still be eating the steak.

“You were the ones who wanted to know about my audition today, excuse me for neglecting my food in order to entertain you all with my tale of unicorn onesies and modern jazz.” Taemin scoffed, shoving another piece of steak in his mouth.

Minho howled with laughter again at the mention. “God, I would have paid to see that.” He brushed a fake tear from his cheek, rolling his eyes when he turned to face Jonghyun and found him sitting on Jinki’s lap. “Come on lovebirds, share already. Must be pretty huge if you got us all together for dinner in the middle of the week.”

Jonghyun and Jinki looked at each other. They had kept the engagement for themselves for a day, just basking in the happiness of it all, and the next morning they had taken both their families out to lunch to share the news. Much to their surprise it was Jinki’s father who had cried the most,  hugging them both and huffing out an “I’m proud of you two” before letting them go, while their mothers hugged each other and toasted to the impending nuptials of their sons. Sodam, Jonghyun’s sister, was abroad for work so they had skyped with her that afternoon to tell her and now they were telling their best friends, called over for dinner on a Wednesday night with the excuse of a spontaneous get-together.

Minho had knitted his eyebrows suspiciously five minutes into the evening; there was just something different between Jinki and Jonghyun, and by the way Kibum eyed them while sipping wine, he knew he had caught on too. After a shared glance, they silently agreed to let the evening go with the flow; but curiosity was killing them at this point.

“Taeminnie, is it okay if we tell you now? We can wait a little longer.”

Taemin nodded, signaling them to go ahead with the hand holding his fork.

Jinki kissed Jonghyun’s temple while the younger of the two took a deep breath and started talking. “Okay so, Monday evening we had dinner at the new restaurant downtown, right? And when we got back we decided to walk around the park a bit since it was such a nice night despite the cold. While we were almost at the fountain it started snowing-“

“Of course it did.” Kibum clicked his tongue, shaking his head at them.

“Your entire lives are a Disney movie.”

“First snow of the year, too” Taemin added, mouth full.

“Anyway-“ Jonghyun continued loudly, smacking a laughing Jinki. “Anyway, I was holding onto Jinki but I suddenly felt him slip away, and when I turned around, he was kneeling in front of me. Holding a jewelry box.”  Kibum clutched his chest.

“I asked him to marry me. And he said yes.” Jinki finished, holding Jonghyun a little tighter.

“We’re getting married!” They chorused, Jonghyun rolling up the long sleeve of his sweater to show them the ring on his finger. There was a beat of silence.

And then Kibum screamed, launching himself at Jonghyun; Taemin choked a little bit, immediately wiping his mouth and standing up to get at them, Minho beating him to the punch and hugging Jinki tight.

“Oh my god!”

“Congratulations! Guys, this is the best news ever!”

“Finally! You two took long enough!”

Jinki was sandwiched between Minho and Taemin, the three of them watching Kibum and Jonghyun roll on the floor, clutching each other, both of them crying.

“Jonghyunah- my best friend- getting married- oh my god” Kibum suddenly sat up straight, wiping his cheeks with his sleeves and then wiping at Jonghyun’s face too.

 “I can’t believe you hid your ring with sweater paws, Kim Jonghyun. Let me see.” Jonghyun took off his ring and held it out to Kibum, breath still hitching a little. “It has our names engraved inside.”

Kibum studied it. “Simple and elegant. It suits you perfectly,” he squinted his eyes against a few fresh  tears still escaping and handed it back, both of them finally standing up so that Minho and Taemin could hug Jonghyun too. They all moved to the living room, Jinki and Jonghyun just starting at their friends as they fired question after question.

“Who else knows?”

“When’s it gonna be?”

“I’m your best man, of course.”

“And I’m totally yours, Jinki hyung.”

“Hey! What am I going to do?”

“I don’t know Minho, ring bearer suits you.”

“Kim Kibum-“

“What about the reception? Honeymoon?”

“Okay, Okay! Calm down” Jonghyun laughed, "we honestly don't know anything yet, we got engaged literally a day ago."

"But" Jinki added, "we do agree on the best men thing. I mean, I want Taemin to be mine and Jonghyun wants Kibum." Said best men high-fived over the coffee table, while Minho leaned back on the armchair, pouting. Jonghyun patted his knee.

"That doesn't mean you're not going to be in the wedding, Minnie. We just don't know all the- the, you know, roles there are to cover."

"Wait."

Everyone turned to Minho, who snapped his fingers.

"I could officiate the wedding."

"What?" Jinki asked, leaning forward with  his elbows on his thighs.

"I could get ordained and like, perform the ceremony!" He jumped up, excited. "Holy ! I could actually marry you two off!"

"That's...actually a really cool idea." 

"It really is!"

"Hell yeah!" Minho beamed, squashing Jinki and Jonghyun back against the sofa.

 

"Minister Choi Minho" Taemin sang, smirking. 

"Are you sure Minnie? If it's going to inconvenience you in any way just tell us." Jonghyun worried, hanging for dear life on Minho's back as he abruptly leaned back and took both of them with him. "Are you kidding, Jonghyunnie? This is the best.  It's not going to be a problem at all." 

"Thank you, Minho." Jinki clapped him on the back, a slight tremble of emotion in his voice.

Minho was just letting them go to sit on the coffee table behind him when Kibum added, "Well then, I could plan the wedding."

"What?" this time is was Taemin who asked, eyeing the glint in Kibum's eyes wearily.

"It makes sense. Jonghyunnie you said it yourself, you don't know about all the roles and such, and organizing a wedding is quite difficult. I could take over for you guys in addition to my best man duties of course, and no charge whatsoever. Consider it my wedding gift." In the middle of his speech he had taken both their hands in his, smiling beatifically at them.

"Kibum-ah, that's a really generous offer. But  also time-consuming, we wouldn't want-"

Kibum waved his hand at Jinki. "Please, I'm editor in chief, I make the rules. It wouldn't be a problem for me either. Organizing my best friends' wedding? It would only make me happy."

Jonghyun squeezed his hand a little, turning to Jinki. "It would help us out a lot, no doubt about It." Jinki nodded, facing Kibum again. "All right, Bummie. You're officially our wedding planner."

"Yay!" Kibum squealed, clapping his hands.

"Yeah, I'm just gonna stick to best man. Sorry guys, but I'm already dreading my speech, I couldn't handle also throwing cherry blossom petals down the aisle."  Taemin whined, sprawling further down the couch. They all laughed, Minho slapping Taemin's knee. A collective sigh was let out, the excitement finally settling down a little.

"I can't believe we got engaged on Monday and come Wednesday we already have a wedding planner, an officiant and best men." Jinki said, getting up. "The only thing left is a toast!"

They all immediately started chanting toast toast toast, clapping along; Minho intercepted Jinki to take the bottle from him, while glasses were passed around.

"All right, ready?" Minho sent the cork flying, raising the bottle slightly while champagne poured out of it. "To Jinki and Jonghyun!"

"To Jinki and Jonghyun!"

As Taemin leaned onto Jinki trying to get his glass near the bottle and Kibum and Minho were fumbling to fill them all, Jinki nuzzled Jonghyun’s cheek, leaning his forehead against his when he turned around. They both smiled at each other, closing their eyes to take in all the love and warmth surrounding them.

Soon, they thought.