Knew It Was Coming

Persephone's Heir

“There,” she said, but Leo was already on his way over, taking the edges of the petals gently in his hands. Risa stood back and watched, wishing she could close her eyes and make the headache go away.

“You’ve done it.” Leo said after inspecting it for a moment. Maybe it was just her unclear mind, but he didn’t sound particularly happy, as though he was hoping she would fail, or expecting her to. “The flower will die naturally.” He said it as if it was a good thing, but Risa just wanted to go lay down and forget that all of this had happened.

“I see.” Leo looked back to her at the sound of her voice and gave a slow nod, mostly to himself.

“I think that’s enough for today.” He intoned, voiced stable in its usual gentle quality. “Why don’t you go inside and relax?”

Risa nodded and, with the chance of escape, nearly ran from the fields. She left Leo behind and flew to her rooms, walking as quickly as she could without tripping or doing anything equally stupid. She closed the door behind her.

***********

The next few days were a blur. Risa stayed in her room for the most part, ready for a break from the world— underworld— outside. She didn’t feel well, her head constantly aching and her body lethargic. Ravi came by a few times, checking up on her, but mostly left her alone. She assumed that he thought she was just distressed about him leaving; it was partially true.

Leo came to see her regularly. He would sit in the chair near her bed, much as  he had the first day, and sit quietly. He had brought her some books as well, so she would read while he sat. He never said much, only speaking here or there. It was unsaid but acknowledged between them that her sudden sickness was due to the pomegranate seeds, the source of all of her problems.

She was recuperating, coming back to herself. She had no idea how long she had been in the underworld anymore. The thought of death rattled her, wormed it’s way into her heart, but she tried to build a wall and not to show it. Just as she had accepted the seeds for the sake of the village, she would accept her fate here if it was necessary as well. She could tell Leo was getting tense, hoping she would return to the flowers in the field with her little time remaining.

“Why do I need to release the spirits?” She thoughtlessly asked once while he came to sit with her. It was a selfish question, and Leo looked shocked by the thought.

“Would you rather leave them there forever, unable to find peace?”

She hadn’t questioned again.

It was only a few days later that Leo entered, mouth set in a grim line. She knew he wouldn’t be bearing good news, and Risa’s heart seized at the possibilies. She was going to die now? She would have to eat the seeds? Ravi was sick? She couldn’t even comprehend her own thoughts, and then Leo sat down and spoke.

“Ravi needs to go back.”

Risa felt her anxiety leave her like a rush of air, relief taking its place. “I knew that already.” She replied, voice a little hollow.

“He needs to go back now.”

Risa snapped up, suddenly feeling more awake than she had in days. “Now?” She questioned, and Leo nodded.

“I’ve waited as long as I can, but any more will be too difficult…”

Risa looked at him, truly looked at him, for the first time in a while. She realized that he did seem a bit drawn, as though he hadn’t slept in a week. She hadn’t been thinking about him at all, or any of the things he was facing. She pulled back the covers and put her feet on the floor, saying nothing.

“Where are you going?” Leo asked, but Risa simply made her way out the door, Leo following close behind. “Ris—”

“To say goodbye.”

It was miracle, really, that he had been able to stay as long as he had. To make him stay any longer would put Ravi— and Leo too, she suspected— in danger. And she wouldn’t be able to live with herself if something happened.

She was halfway down the stairs when Eva appeared, on her way up. As soon as she saw Risa a grin split her face, and she threw her long black hair over her shoulder.

“Risa!” She exclaimed, and ran to her side and linked their arms together. Eva, like Leo, had been spending a great deal of time together with Risa as she recouperated, telling her countless stories of her kitchen and whatever else struck her at the time. Risa couldn’t help but laugh, especially over the one of a potato peel landing on Leo’s head. It was nice, she supposed, to find a friend here, especially when she had to say goodbye to another.

“Eva,” Risa said with a smile. “It’s good to see you.”

Eva just grinned, her wide dark eyes looking her over.  “How are you?” She continued. “You seem to be feeling better, but I heard your friend has to leave today.”

“Yes, he does… But he’ll be better up there.” Up there, as though it was a place she had never been before.  “Let's get going.”