blossoming

eighteen

Chaeyoung loves it when Mina has off days from filming, because it means they can spend the whole day cuddling in bed. It’s great, and Chaeyoung wouldn’t have it any other way. Like right now, Chaeyoung is just lying beside Mina, the latter focused on her script again while Chaeyoung watches her favorite idols on her phone.

 

Mina leans over, resting her head on Chaeyoung’s shoulder. “What are you watching?”

 

“Red Velvet. They are all so pretty, can sing well and dance well, so perfect!” Chaeyoung sighs as she stares at her phone dreamily. Unknown to her, Mina is sulking as she looks at the lovestruck look Chaeyoung has.

 

“Who is your favorite?” Mina asks, trying to keep her voice level and Chaeyoung points at a girl who just appeared on the screen excitedly.

 

“Yeri! She’s my age and used to go to the same high school as me! But I have never seen her in school before…” Chaeyoung elaborates eagerly and Mina turns back to her script with a sour look. “You must have been SO upset not being able to see her in school then.”

 

Noticing Mina’s irritable tone, Chaeyoung looks at the girl beside her who has turned her back to her. It can’t be… She leans over and drapes an arm over Mina and asks teasingly. “Are you perhaps, jealous?”

 

“NOOO?” Mina replies with such an unusually high tone that Chaeyoung knows that she’s right. She just smiles at the older girl as she lands a sloppy kiss on Mina’s cheek.

 

“Aigooooooo my Minari is jealous!” Chaeyoung teases as she pulls Mina into an embrace. “So cute.”

 

“I’m not yours and I’m NOT jealous.” Mina huffs as she pulls away from Chaeyoung’s hug, hopping up from the bed. Chaeyoung just chuckles as she watches Mina angry waddle away to the kitchen. “Where are you going?”

 

“Make lunch. For myself. You can ask your Yerim to make you some.” Mina mutters and Chaeyoung laughs at how touchy the older girl is as she follows behind her.

 

Chaeyoung watches as Mina takes out the ingredients from the fridge and she just follows the older girl as she goes around the kitchen, still seething from jealousy. She leans against the table and puts her fists to her face, pulling her best puppy eye look as she pouts at Mina. “Don’t be angry at me please???”

 

Mina only glances at her for one millisecond, but Chaeyoung knows it’s enough to soften the girl. She walks behind her, resting her head on Mina’s shoulder as she gives her a back hug. Mina doesn’t pull away from her embrace, and Chaeyoung takes it as a good sign. Everything just feels so right, it feels like home, Mina feels like home. But she doesn’t say it out, because she knows it’s still too early to pledge undying and endless love for their relationship. (But it doesn’t mean she doesn’t love Mina endlessly and forever.) So, she just kisses Mina on the cheek, hoping the girl gets it.

 

She feels Mina’s hands on hers as she leans back into her embrace, and Chaeyoung knows that it's enough, knows that Mina gets it.

 

--

 

“Chaeyoung, we should go!!” Mina whisper exclaims as Chaeyoung pulls her along the deserted hallway. The filming today is done in a school and as soon as the shoot ended, Chaeyoung pulled her, claiming they have to take the once in a lifetime chance to explore an empty school. Mina sees the last spotlight of the shoot go off, enshrouding them in complete darkness.

 

She gulps. “Okay Chaeng, we really should leave now!”

 

Chaeyoung turns around with a teasing smile on her face. “Why, are you afraid?”

 

“Afraid? Me?” Mina huffs indignantly and Chaeyoung just chuckles.

 

“That's good to hear, because we are going to the dance studio where the ghosts all reside.” Chaeyoung whispers spookily as she pushes open a door with a large roar. Mina screams and closes her eyes, only to open them after a few seconds to see no ghost, only an annoying Chaeyoung leaning against the door of the dance studio, almost collapsing in laughter.

 

She grunts as she pushes past the girl who's almost dying of laughter, entering the studio. “Harhar, funny.”

 

Chaeyoung stifles her laughter as she flicks the lights on, revealing a dance studio with full length mirrors lining the walls and a piano at the side. It's pretty clean and well taken care of for an empty school. Mina heads to the mirrors, touching the horizontal bars on it nostalgically. It reminds her of the past, where she spent hours in the dance studio practicing all sorts of ballet routines. How she wished she could go back to those carefree times…

 

Her thoughts are interrupted by some piano notes, and she jumps in fright at the sound. Turning around, she sees Chaeyoung who's trying not to laugh as she glares at her.

 

“I'm sorry,” Chaeyoung chuckles as she sits in front of the piano. “Let me play something for you as an apology.”

 

"Do you even know..." Mina doesn't get to finish her sentence because Chaeyoung starts to play, her fingers moving deftly across the keys, creating a gentle and soothing piano riff. Something swells in her chest as she watches the other girl so focused on her playing. The piece fades to a stop and Chaeyoung grins at her.

 

Mina claps while nodding in approval. “I didn't know you were so cultured, knowing how to play the piano and all.”

 

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes as she gets up from the seat to lean against the piano instead. “So,” she raises her eyebrows challengingly, “what do you have to show?”

 

Mina smirks. “You picked the wrong battle, kid.”

 

She kicks off her shoes, heading to the middle of the studio. She holds up her arms, and she starts her ballet routine as if someone had music in the room. She moves elegantly, her body moving by muscle memory, twirling and spinning around the room. Chaeyoung watches on, flabbergasted at how the Mina in front of her is so different from the aloof and quiet Mina she knows. This Mina in front of her is dancing so confidently, the smile on her face is so bright that even without a spotlight, she shines.

 

Chaeyoung knows she’s screwed when she sees the gummy smile Mina directs towards her at the end of her impromptu performance. She knows then, that this girl isn’t just the girl she ran over a few months ago; this girl isn’t just the actress she’s managing. This girl, is the girl she has fallen irrevocably and deeply for, without even realizing it. Her legs are moving before her mind can even process it, walking towards Mina to pull her into an embrace. Mina giggles a little as she responds by resting her hands on Chaeyoung’s waist. “Why, was it that good?”

 

“Yeah.” Chaeyoung replies. “I just want to frame it in my mind.”

 

Because it’s the moment I realized I’m in love with you.

 

Chaeyoung holds Mina a little tighter, rocking her from side to side in their own little waltz as the latter gently knocks her nose against Chaeyoung’s cheeks. Chaeyoung wants to thank the heavens for letting her have the opportunity to hold an angel in her arms, and she prays, prays that she can hold this angel for the rest of her life.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung is sitting in front of Nayeon, watching as the latter scoop out some food for her. She hands it over to Chaeyoung, and she just smiles as a response. Nayeon starts digging in, but Chaeyoung has lost her appetite, suddenly finding to be unexceptionally dry. As Chaeyoung’s feelings for Mina grows, her guilt for Nayeon grows too. It has come to a point where she can’t even look at Nayeon in the eyes without feeling the guilt eat her up.

 

“Why aren’t you eating? The food here is good.” Nayeon asks, the way Chaeyoung is just poking at her food not escaping her.

 

Chaeyoung looks at her carefully, properly. Nayeon is pretty, no doubt and she has a good personality. She embraces Chaeyoung’s childish tantrums and antics, accepting her wholeheartedly even if she has more cons than pros. But of course Chaeyoung is such a ty person and goes on to cheat on such an amazing person. That is why, she decides to let her go today.

 

Chaeyoung puts down her chopsticks, sitting straighter in her chair. She takes a deep breath, prepping herself when Nayeon breaks her train of thoughts.

 

“Whatever you want to say, can you let me say it?” Nayeon asks gently, and Chaeyoung isn’t sure if what they have in mind are the same, but she nods anyway.

 

“I know you are seeing someone else.” Nayeon begins and Chaeyoung just freezes in her seat. She knows, but didn’t do anything? “I thought, if I kept quiet about it, and we just went along, we would have gone a good few years together and by then we would both be too wrinkly and old to find someone else and eventually settled down together.”

 

She laughs. “Guess everything doesn’t always go according to plan, am I right?”

 

“I see the look in your eyes, and I know you have found the one.” Nayeon looks down at her food, her turn to poke at it now. “And I know I can’t hold you back any longer. I can’t be selfish anymore.”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes well up at how even till the end, Nayeon is so accommodating and understanding to her, who doesn’t even deserve it because she feels like , she’s a literal for breaking the heart of the girl in front of her. “Unnie…  I am so sorry.”

 

Nayeon wipes the lone tear that rolls down her cheeks as she huffs. “Yah don’t say that! You are making it seem like I’m being dumped! For the record, I’m dumping you, okay?”

 

Chaeyoung musters a small smile as she hands over a tissue to the older girl. Once the older girl has calmed down a little, they lock eyes and Chaeyoung musters the most sincere look she can, because Nayeon doesn’t deserve any less. “Unnie, you are a good person. I’m sure you will meet someone deserving of your love, someone who will treat you like how you deserve.”

 

Nayeon sighs dramatically as she props her hand over her chest. “I waited 20 years before I met you; do I have to wait another 20 years before I finally meet the one?”

 

“Sometimes, you don’t have to look far.” Chaeyoung says insightfully, already having an idea of a few people who would be secretly happy to hear about their breakup.

 

--

 

Bonus

Nayeon sits on the swing, rocking it back and forth as she thinks about her breakup with Chaeyoung. It’s funny how a 2 year relationship can end with a snap of her finger, but the funniest thing is that she isn’t even a tad bit sad about it. Thinking back about it, going on dates with Chaeyoung seemed more like babysitting than dating. She doesn’t doubt that she loves Chaeyoung, but maybe she didn’t love her like how her parents loved each other. She sighs dramatically as she looks up towards the sky. Does she really have to wait another 20 years for her one?

 

“Yah Im Nayeon!” A very familiar voice calls out and Nayeon rolls her eyes. The short hair girl appears huffing from around the corner, immediately engulfing her in a tight hug. She Nayeon’s hair as she pats her on the back with her other hand.

 

“It’s okay, it must be hard right. Everything will be better from now on.” Jungyeon coos and Nayeon just shoves her off.

 

“What are you talking about?” Nayeon huffs as she gets up from the swing, Jungyeon following hot on her heels.

 

“I heard you got dumped.” Jungyeon says and Nayeon stops in her tracks so quickly that the short hair girl nearly bumps into her.

 

“I dumped her, okay?” Nayeon corrects as she continues on her trek.

 

“Same difference, isn’t it?”

 

Nayeon seethes as she turns around to glare at Jungyeon. “It. Is. Not. And stop annoying me! I’m going to kill you if you do. I’m not joking.” She emphasizes as she makes a slicing action across her neck.

 

“Okay bye Nabongs see you in class tomorrow!” Jungyeon calls out cheerfully, too cheerfully for Nayeon’s liking.

 

“No one’s seeing you tomorrow!” Nayeon grumbles as she quickens her pace back towards the dorms. How is it that she’s more annoyed by Jungyeon than by her breakup? She can never understand it.

 

--

a/n: because i think we all need some respite from the news /smiles through the pain/