Part 2 (final)

Midnight Carnation

Jeonghan can’t remember much after that. He remembered finding Jihoon at the dance club room, then breaking down in panic as the reality sank in. he might have shouted at Jihoon a couple of times, too. But his friend was really helpful, even running through their campus to get his clothes from their classroom, then helping him take off the disguise, which was then carelessly tossed into the bag.

Then Seungkwan came barging in and told the two to get up, and next thing he knew, they were in his mom’s car, listening to his mom complain about school activities and policies. Jeonghan usually didn’t like it when his mom did that—she had the tendency to get carried away and even shout when she was really on a roll—but now he accepted it gratefully; it meant that he didn’t have to bluff his way through anything.

It also meant that he spent the entire ride home quietly reliving his stolen time with Seungcheol—his voice, his eyes, his hands, his lips, everything.

Finally, after all of his friends had been dropped home, Jeonghan finally reached home as well. He quickly told his mom that he was feeling extremely exhausted and went to his room, locking it for good measure, and changed into his pajamas and tucking himself into his bed, still reliving everything that happened.

That night, Seungcheol was in his dreams, just sitting beside him, smiling at Jeonghan as though Jeonghan was the most beautiful person in the world. But just before Jeonghan thought Seungcheol was leaning in to kiss him, the dream ended, and with it came the morning. He groggily got up, events of last night still fresh in his mind—

No. From now on, last night never happened. To me, at least.

~~~

“Aish, why did we need to go back to school today?” Seungkwan complained as he leaned back in his armchair. “Didn’t the teachers think we might need a rest after all those crazy partying last night?”

“It’s the week before midterms,” Jihoon reminded the younger. “We need to be back here if we want to pass.”

“Our Jihoon is right, as always,” Seungkwan said, pouting. “Hey, hyung—where were earlier this morning? You looked so breathless!”

Jihoon reddened, which definitely wasn’t like him. “N-nothing.”

“You were at nothing? That’s not a place,” Seungkwan further.

“Yah, it’s none of your business.” Jihoon retorted as the school bell rang, signaling the start of the first period and causing the students talking and playing outside to rush back at their rooms. Jeonghan caught a fleeting look at Seungcheol as he passed by their room—the elder wasn’t even looking at him, and it was like nothing has changed.

Of course nothing has changed, Jeonghan, don’t be stupid.

Seokmin caught his eye as he came into the classroom, Jisoo hot on his heels. “Alright, hyung?” he asked the elder, taking his seat beside Jeonghan.

Jeonghan only looked at the direction Seungcheol went to.

“I wish,” he murmured as their first period teacher came in, effectively putting a stop to their conversation.

~~~

“COME ON SEUNGKWAN, WEAR IT~” Seokmin screamed at Seungkwan, chasing him around their classroom.

“ANIYO~” the younger replied, quickly putting a chair across Seokmin’s path, causing Seokmin to trip to the floor.

“Seriously though, once you lost the game, you really do have to do the dare,” Jisoo said, watching them from his armchair.

“Who made up that rule!?” Seungkwan said as Seokmin stood up and started chasing him again.

“Um, you did.” Jisoo said, rolling his eyes.

“I never—“ Seungkwan started, but Seokmin cut him off as he energetically tackled Seungkwan to the floor, making a loud thud.

“I GOT YOU! NOW YOU HAVE TO WEAR IT!” Seokmin shouted once more.

“NEVER!” Seungkwan screamed right back.

“Seungkwan, it’s just a pair of heels.” Jeonghan finally said, holding up a five inch white stiletto. “It’s not a bomb or anything.”

“It’ll kill me of embarrassment,” Seungkwan’s voice was slightly muffled from underneath Seokmin. “How did you even get them?”

“Sana always had a pair in her locker. It’s no biggie,” Jeonghan replied airily. “Come on Seungkwan. We promise we won’t post it online.”

Silence followed as Seungkwan reevaluated his decision. And then—

“Fine. But close the door and only play SNSD songs.”

Jeonghan grinned. “Deal. Gimme your phone.”

Seokmin immediately got up, screaming “I’ll get the speakers!” while Jisoo looked warily at him.

“But where’s Jihoon though?” Seungkwan asked as he struggled to put on the shoes while Jeonghan helped him. “He’s nowhere to be found—again.”

“Maybe one of the his club advisers called him?” Jisoo suggested.

“No, all of the teachers are having a meeting,” Jeonghan reminded him.

“Well, he must be somewhere,” Seungkwan complained.

“You know if you’re trying to get out of this dare by offering to look for Jihoon it’s not working.”

“Whatever,” Seungkwan replied as he stood wobbly on the heels, his ankles shaking. “Let’s get this over with.”

Seokmin pressed the play button on the speaker and the familiar beat of “Run Devil Run” filled the classroom. “It’s your jam,” he laughed, gesturing to Seungkwan, who was channeling his inner Sone and had started dancing along.

“Hey, Jeonghan, record it!” Seokmin yelled over the loud speaker and Seungkwan’s exaggerated cries of “YOU BETTER RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN!!”.

“Yeah, I am, I am,” Jeonghan said, laughing, his hands shaking slightly as he moved to face Seungkwan, his back against their classroom’s closed door.

True to Seungkwan’s nature, he soon asked Seokmin to play a more energetic song. Seokmin grinned. He tapped again on the speaker, and “The Boys” began to play.

“Oh god no,” Jisoo groaned in the background as Seungkwan started dancing more aggressively, trying to hit all the notes as effortlessly as possible.

GIRLS BRING THE BOYS OUT~” Seungkwan screamed as he slid a heeled foot across the floor, doing the iconic half-split. By now, Jeonghan and Seokmin were singing along with him, chanting the lyrics as the song continued.

I WANNA DANCE RIGHT NOW, WE CAN SHOW ‘EM HOW THE GIRLS GET DOWN!”

“YES WE GO FOR MORE THAN ZERO, NUMBER ONE EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW, CHECK THIS OUT!”

“ALL THE BOYS, ALL THE BOYS WANT MY HEART! BETTER KNOW HOW TO ROCK IT DON’T STOP!

“OH GEE WE MAKE IT SO HOT, GIRLS’ GENERATION WE WON’T STO-OWWW!”

The door against Jeonghan opened, causing it to hit him squarely in the back and making Jeonghan shout in pain. Seungkwan stumbled in his heels, and Seokmin dropped the speaker, and Jisoo, who had only joined them in singing, cracked his voice.

“Yah,” Seungkwan groaned from his position on the floor. His legs were in an awkward split and he was trying to get up on his pencil-thin heels. “Jeonghan-hyung, are you—oh.”

Standing in the doorway was their schoolmate—at least Jeonghan assumed he was their schoolmate—and he was staring at Jeonghan, who was rubbing his sore back, and at Seungkwan, whose legs were still split open.

“I—I’m sorry, did I hit you?” the newcomer asked. His features looked more Western than Korean, Jeonghan noticed, but he looked handsome either way (Jeonghan has seen better though). Seungkwan was staring at this person a little bit too rudely. A dash of red had already splashed across his cheeks.

“Yeah, you did.” Jeonghan said, struggling to get up. “What was that for?” He added, a bit annoyed.

“Yeah, sorry about that, but me and Cheol-hyung were trying to study next door…and your music sort of got in the way of studying.” The student jerked his thumb over his shoulder, where a sheepish Seungcheol was peeking into the silenced classroom. Jeonghan was still taken aback by how cute the elder looked (honestly, when will he ever not be?) but then he realized how awkward he and Seungkwan looked and pulled the younger up, who was still unabashedly staring at the newcomer.

“We’ll lower the music,” Jeonghan told the student apologetically, who only nodded in reply. “Won’t we, Seokmin?” he asked his friend, who was examining the speaker after picking it up from the floor.

“Huh? Um, nae.” Seokmin said offhandedly.

“Okay, thanks!” the student bowed slightly and smiled, which only made Seungkwan blush and stutter a weak “You’re welcome.”  The student looked at his direction, staring Seungkwan up and down, before finally deciding to say “Nice shoes.” He then proceeded to drag Seungcheol with him as they got out of the classroom, presumably to go study in their own.

But what didn’t escape Jeonghan’s attention was the way Seungcheol’s eyes widened when they landed on him; the way his eyes grew familiarly dark and his lips fell slightly open as they drank in Jeonghan even as Seungcheol was being dragged away.

It made Jeonghan confused. Can he tell?

But he can’t deny the way it made his heart flutter, either.

~~~

“Hey, Jeonghan, you coming?” Seokmin asked half an hour later, as they packed up the bags and got out of the classroom.

“I gotta go to the restroom, guys. You go on without me,” Jeonghan told them. His friends nodded and went down the corridor as Jeonghan went the other way.

Jeonghan had only planned on fixing his hair, and maybe freshening up his face. But as he opened the door, a hand shot out and grabbed his wrist, pulling him inside. In an instant, Jeonghan found himself leaning against the door, pinned in place by someone he didn’t expect.

Seungcheol.

“It’s you,” Seungcheol said in that ridiculously deep voice of his.

“W-Who?” Jeonghan squeaked as Seungcheol came even closer, his lips almost brushing Jeonghan’s jawline.

“Don’t try to deny it, Hani,” Seungcheol replied sharply, in contrast to his position against the younger’s. “I wasn’t sure it was you last night, but seeing the way you looked at me today…” he laughed softly. “You looked so ing wistful and needy… And your eyes. They still look the same. Do you know how beautiful your eyes are… Jeonghan?”

Wait. Wait. Hold up. Seungcheol actually knew his name. How—what—

“I’ve been looking at you for a while already,” Seungcheol continued, his head still nuzzling Jeonghan’s face. “I didn’t understand how a guy could be so pretty. I figured I’d get over it. I thought I was just curious. But turns out it wasn’t just that. You fascinate me, Jeonghan. I want to get closer to you, to know more about you…Guess I was just shy. I planned to sort of bump into you at the acquaintance party. I thought that if I did it just right, maybe we’d end up being friends. But you were nowhere to be found. Instead I found Hani, who looked so much like you…” He chuckled once more. “I just played along. But all those things you said…those stories you told me…” He looked up and met Jeonghan’s eyes. “Were they true?”

No use denying it.

“Yes,” Jeonghan sighed. “Yes, they’re true.”

Seungcheol nodded thoughtfully. “Well, it is fishy for a girl to finish three buckets of fried chicken by herself.”

“But… aren’t you disgusted?” Jeonghan blurted. “That I dressed up as a…girl?”

“I thought you understood.” Seungcheol replied, his tone growing serious once more. “I like it when you dress up like a girl. You’re so beautiful, Jeonghan. You should be proud of it. If you ask me, half the girls in this school can’t pull off what you wore last night.”

“So let me get this straight,” Jeonghan said. “You like me.”

“That’s the context, yes.”

“And…you don’t hate me for crossdressing as a girl.”

“Nope.”

“You knew who I actually was last night. You could tell I was crossdressing. And you played along.”

“Well would you rather that I took off all those extra hair?”

“You knew my name,” Jeonghan’s voice grew softer. “You actually know my name.”

“It’s a small school.”

“Yeah, it is…” Jeonghan sighed once more. “And… how did you know I was going here?”

“I overheard you and your friends…” Seungcheol admitted. “Then I honest to goodness ran all the way here. I wanted to confess while I still could.”

“Well now you have,” Jeonghan smiled. “Gosh, I—I never imagined this would happen. I thought last night was gone for me. I thought I could never actually approach you again.”

“Please don’t ever think of not approaching me,” Seungcheol pleaded. “Last night was a bit reckless, yeah… But I don’t regret it. I don’t think I ever will. It would never be gone for me.” His eyes grew dark and serious and there was something else in them that Jeonghan can’t decipher. Hesitation?

But Jeonghan didn’t want him to hesitate. Not anymore.

 “So…what now?” He whispered, slowly reaching up to put his hand on Seungcheol’s shoulder, which immediately sagged and relaxed. Seungcheol smiled even brighter and in that moment Jeonghan threw away all his doubts and insecurities.

Seungcheol came even closer to Jeonghan’s face, his lips mere inches from the younger’s.

“I think this is the part where we kiss.”

And if you ask Jeonghan, this kiss was even better than last night’s.

~~~

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I FINISHED THIS!!! :O

tbh i was going to post this yesterday or the day before that but school got in the way TT

AND ALSO UWAAAAH SEVENTEEN COMEBACK REAL SOON EOMO (well that was random xD)

anyways i have to go now, bye~ upvote, comment, and/or subscribe if you liked this and/or want to read more~ I'm planning on making more Seventeen fics in the future (along the lines of VerKwan and Meanie, probably xD)

ok seriously BYE :D ^____^

<3,

yeolhyunnie