The Confession

Confession

“So we’re planning to create a sub-unit for your group.” The CEO smiled at them, “It’d be your group’s first sub-unit, then.”

“Concepts?” The leader raised his eyebrows.

“That’s the reason I called for a meeting. Suggest what you think the sub-unit should focus on and we’ll all take it into consideration.”

Wonshik looked around and found Taekwoon’s eyes darting around nervously. He knew that look; the look that only came once in a very long while. Whenever Taekwoon had that look, it meant he wanted to say something but never felt it was right to say. Though, Wonshik knew he’d always listen to Taekwoon no matter what. His suggestions were always reasonable and thought out thoroughly before he said anything.

“Maybe,” Wonshik raised his hands first, because it seemed like he could tell what Taekwoon was thinking, “the sub-unit could focus on self-composed songs.”

“Self-composed songs, huh.” Their CEO nodded his head in agreement while the other members followed suit, including Taekwoon who took several glances at Wonshik, as if to thank him silently.

“Aren’t you the only one that composes, though?” Jaehwan chuckled, “You trying to score a solo here?” He joked.

“I know Taekwoon composes, too.” Wonshik said, causing everyone to look at Taekwoon in unison, making the latter’s face burn up.

“You compose? Why didn’t you say so!” The CEO stood up and raised his hands in a fatherly manner before patting Taekwoon on the back, “Everyone agrees on this? No objections?”

“We all know Wonshik composes really good songs. Plus, the two of them work well together so no objections here.” Jaehwan said, while the other members agreed as well.

“That’s settled, then. Taekwoon and Wonshik shall be the first sub-unit. We’ll work on the name later on but for now, you two might want to hold your own meeting.”

 


 

The two of them took the idea of the sub-unit much more seriously than the others expected them to; Though at the same time they did sort of expect it considering that both Taekwoon and Wonshik were the biggest workaholics of the group.

One day when they were working on the concept of the song together in the recording studio, Wonshik felt it was the right time to tell the elder some things.

It was already half past 2 in the morning when Taekwoon and Wonshik were discussing the idea of the album and title song.

“Aren’t you tired?” Wonshik asked with a hint of concern in his voice.

“Not at all, to be honest.”

Wonshik was glad that after years of working with Taekwoon, he finally opened up more to him. It’s not that Taekwoon never talked to him or joked around with him, but it felt different this time. Instead of an awkward silences between them when the other members weren’t around, the silence that surrounded them this time was comforting in a way that Wonshik couldn’t explain. Also, as cheesy as it sounds, he would even time his breathing to match with Taekwoon’s, hoping the latter wouldn’t notice even though he was so obvious.

“Taekwoon.” Wonshik said in a firm tone, noticing how he flinched at the mention of his name in such a stern voice, and he immediately softened.

“What?”

“I know this sounds weird but,” he took a deep breath before asking, “what are your thoughts on homouality?”

Wonshik took caution to say ‘homouality’ in a careful tone, remembering the last time the others decided to talk about the said topic which led to Taekwoon walking out of the conversation. ‘He either doesn’t like talking about ual preferences or just dislikes the idea of homouality’, the last thought making Wonshik feel stiff, what if Taekwoon really hates gay people.

“Why this question?” Taekwoon immediately tensed, jaw clenched and eyes looking anywhere but at Wonshik.

“I know the others talked about this before and you just walked off so I don’t know if you hate gay people or what but I was just curious.” He didn’t realise how fast he said it until he looked up and found a confused Taekwoon blinking back at him. “I mean, of course it’s fine if you don’t want to talk about it.” He quickly added.

“Let me go get you something to drink.” Taekwoon abruptly said before getting up, a little clumsily, and walking out of the room towards the dispensary.

Wonshik suddenly felt nervous, ‘I completely screwed up, didn’t I?’

When Taekwoon came back with two cans of iced coffee, Wonshik didn’t fail to notice how his hands were shaking when he passed a can to him.

“Taekwoon, are you okay?” Wonshik laid his backhand on Taekwoon’s forehead, “Down with a fever?”

The elder found himself jumping away from Wonshik, before quickly sitting back down on his seat and assuring Wonshik he’s fine with a simple nod.

“I,” Taekwoon started, slowly sipping on his drink, “Have something to say.”

Wonshik didn’t dare break the silence this time, he could sense the tension in this conversation already.

“Yes, I hate gays.” This wasn’t what Wonshik expected though.

“What?” Wonshik could feel a tight squeeze in his chest, and suddenly he couldn’t breathe.

“I hate them, and with a passion.” Taekwoon put his drink down on the table, “Why can’t everyone just like people of the opposite ? Won’t things be much simpler that way? Everything would work well that way, wouldn't it? Then, no one would be judged. No one will be bullied. No one will have to laugh at anyone about something as simple as their ual preference!”

Wonshik was shocked, and for once he didn’t know what to say, because just next to him was the man he thought was always strong and uptight, breaking down into tears.

Taekwoon probably didn’t realise but there were tears flowing down his cheeks, and Wonshik swore, right there and then, Taekwoon was the one he’d want to protect for the rest of his life. 

“Taekwoon,” He carefully placed his hand on the latter’s shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze, “So…”

“Yes,” Taekwoon shook his hand off, “I am gay. Maybe it’s because you noticed by now that you decide to bring it up. Go on and tell the others, then. They’re probably dying to find out.”

“If you want me to tell them, we might as well tell them together.” Wonshik mumbled, not knowing how to break it to Taekwoon.

“Wait, what?”

“I like guys too, okay? Guy on girl action, no. Guy on guy, yes.” Wonshik tried to make himself sound stupid to break the tension. “You know, -ish.”

“Wait, you’re-”

“Yes, Taekwoon. I swing that way, too. And to be frank, I…”

“I like you.”

Wonshik felt his throat tighten.

‘Did he just?’

“I really like you.”

‘Is he saying he likes me?’

“Since, God knows when. I just…” Wonshik was amazed at the sudden courage Taekwoon had. “I just never dared to tell you because I was scared.”

‘Wait, Jung Taekwoon actually likes me back?’

“Oh God, I know. You probably don’t like me back. I’m sorry, oh God. I just made things awkward, I really shouldn’t have said anything, for Christ’s sakes.”

Wonshik didn’t even know what happened but the next second he found his lips on the elder’s lips, and everything felt so right.