Joshua - American Dragon Joshua Hong

13 Days of SEVENTEEN

ok so this ones really weird XD idk if you guys have seen the show American Dragon Jake Long that was on disney channel a long time ago, but thats what Josh’s character is based on in this story lol hope you guys like it!

Word count: 1569

Genre: Fluff; AU where Joshua is the American Dragon

Characters: You, Joshua, and mentions of Minghao and Woozi

 

Ring! Ring!

Quickly reaching over on your bed and picking up your phone, you answer, “Hello?”

“What’re you up to?” You don’t even need to check the caller ID to know it’s your best friend.

Sitting up, you look down at the leftover pizza and physics homework scattered on your bed. “Nothing really. What’s up, Josh?”

“You wanna go to Seattle?”

You scoff from the comfort of your LA apartment. “Just a reminder, not all of us can fly like you.”

He chuckles and says, “That’s a shame.”

Knock! Knock!

With a start, you clutch your heart and turn to find Joshua tapping on the window. Since you don’t have a fire escape, most people would be confused by how your friend could just stop by like this. But he’s in his dragon form, so it all makes sense.

Smiling with his fangs exposed and his wings flapping behind him, he hangs up the phone and says, “Flying’s the best way to get around. Now open the door before someone sees me.”

Rolling your eyes, you get out of bed and slide the window open. Immediately when he gets a grip on the window sill, your friend transforms back into his usual human, Joshua self. Standing in front of you in a black jacket and dark jeans, he brushes off his sleeves and rolls out his shoulders. “Thanks.”

You chuckle and cross your arms as you watch him plop down on your bed. “If you’re so worried about being seen, maybe you should use the front door more often.”

Already eating a slice of pizza, he says with his mouth full, “That’s no fun.”

For as long as you could remember, your best friend Joshua was…different. For years, you just thought it was because he was a natural dork, always dancing in some weird way or singing way too loud or sticking stuff up his nose. You never would’ve guessed it was because he was a dragon. Yeah, a dragon. Not just any dragon too. Your best friend Joshua Hong was the American Dragon.

It was only a year ago when you learned about Joshua’s special ability. You’d been best friends for so long, but he had kept this secret because, he claimed, it would’ve been too dangerous for you to know. He told you that he came from a long line of shapeshifting dragons and that it was “his duty to protect a community of magical creatures secretly living among the masses” in Los Angeles. Yeah, magical creatures. As the American Dragon, he had a lot to learn about his important role to the country and it was his grandpa (also a dragon) who was training him in all he needed to know. Obviously, you didn’t believe any of this at first, but the second he changed into that red and green dragon form right in front of your eyes, you were convinced and you promised to keep his secret. But ever since he’s come clean to you about this magical side, he really doesn’t bother hiding it.

“So you wanna go to Seattle?” he asks again.

You close the window and come around to sit next to him. “I’ve got homework.”

“And I’ve got training, yet here I am,” he says through a chuckle.

“Why do you wanna go to Seattle anyway?” you ask, putting your books away. You know for a fact you’re not going to get any studying done with Joshua around.

Sitting up straight, Joshua reaches for a napkin and wipes his face. “Some dragons are meeting up there and I thought you’d want to see some of them again.”

“Is Minghao gonna be there?” you jokingly ask, always having been fond of the cute boy.

Joshua rolls his eyes and smiles. “Yes, the Chinese Dragon will be there.”

“Mmmm,” you say, pretending to think about it. “Call me when the Korean Dragon shows up.”

“Yeah, if anyone can get Jihoon to fly out here,” he laughs. Looking around your room, he scoffs. “What do you like about those guys anyway?”

Closing the pizza box and putting it on the ground, you sigh and fall flat on the bed. “They’re adorable, Josh.” Just thinking about how cute they were in person, you smack your cheeks and freak out a bit. “Agh, so cute!”

Joshua chuckles as you have your little spasm. As much of a dork as he was, so were one too. That’s how your friendship worked for so long. “You must have a thing for dragons,” he teases.

Laughing, you turn your head over to see his smiling face. “Just the cute ones.”

“You’re saying I’m not cute?!” he immediately objects.

“Josh, you’re hot,” you say jokingly, “but not like that.”

“Wooowwwwwww,” Joshua says, falling back so his head’s just beside yours. “I would argue, but…” He tilts his head back and lets out a huge breath that’s accompanied by a decent sized flame.

Shoving him, you yell, “I told you not to do that inside! You’re gonna set off the fire alarm!”

Laughing harder, Joshua rolls onto his stomach and grins at you. “(Y/N) should know American Dragon Joshua Hong isn’t that stupid.”

“Pshhh, American Dragon Joshua Hong is exactly that stupid,” you say back to him, rolling over so you’re in the same position. Side by side, you look to your right to see his face. “Also, American Dragon Joshua Hong gets really weird when he talks in the third person.”

“American Dragon Joshua Hong just likes it when his best friend (Y/N) acknowledges that he’s American Dragon Joshua Hong,” he says smugly. “(Y/N) really needs to be reminded.”

“(Y/N) sometimes really wishes that she wasn’t friends with American Joshua Hong cause this is getting really old.”

Joshua smiles and lowers his head, holding his shoulders up with his forearms. He’s always loved going back and forth with you like this. And he always lies when he says it’s just to get you to say that he’s the American Dragon. It’s cause he likes having an excuse to say your name even more.

Lifting his head, he looks over to see your charming smile. Meeting your gaze, he gets lost in your eyes. His heart beating in his ears, Joshua always feels his body give out when you two are this close. He often keeps in his feelings, but your smile is too enchanting right now. “(Y/N),” he says gently, shifting the tone.

You furrow your eyebrows slightly. “Yeah?”

Chuckling into his chest, he takes a second before he glances back at you. “I never let you know this,” he says, a gentle grin on his lips, “But out of all the mythical creatures I’ve encountered, you’re the most magical.”

For a second, you have no idea how to react to your friend’s sudden cheesiness, so you just smile. “Thanks, Josh,” you chuckle. Nudging him with your shoulder, you say, “You’re obviously pretty magical yourself.”

But he totally ignores you brushing him off. “You should go out with me,” he says bluntly.

“What?!” you exclaim, staring at his dorky smile. You’re not fully sure if you heard that right, but it sounds like something your idiot friend would say.

With his unwavering confidence, he asks, “You know why you should go out with me?” And before you can even answer, he leans in closer, raises an eyebrow at you, and whispers, “Cause I’m the American Dragon.”

Bursting out into laughter, you cannot take this boy seriously. Twisting over onto your back, you have to clutch your stomach as you laugh at the ceiling. “Josh, what is the matter with you?!”

“What?!” he cries through his laughs. “Why are you laughing so hard at the idea of going out with me?!” Fortunately, Joshua’s too occupied by how cute your reaction is to be hurt by your pretty much rejection.

Sitting up, you wipe away your tears and try to stop your laughter. “Oh my god, Josh,” you say, turning over to look at this ridiculous dragon. “You’re crazy.”

“What?!” he screams again. He watches as you stand up. “I just asked you out and that’s how you react?! You’re not gonna go out with me?!”

“I’m gonna go to the bathroom,” you tell him as you head for the door.

Joshua sits up with a bewildered look on his face. Still, he can’t help but smile at everything you do. “So that’s a no?” he asks, some hope still there.

Turning back, you can’t hide your grin as you look at your loser for a best friend. Even if he’s a dragon, he’s still dumb on an insanely human level. As you look at him, you can’t lie to yourself. Him asking you out isn’t that surprising, and the stupid whim he took to ask you out also isn’t shocking. There’s always been something there and he’s always been stupid. But still, you can’t let him get away with being so dumb for so long.

“Ask me again when you can breathe water too,” you say with a smirk as you leave the room, closing the door behind you.

“Wow,” Joshua says in defeat, shaking his head and letting out a deep sigh. He just sits there and thinks about how that could’ve went better when it hits him. His eyes grow wide and his head shoots up as he screams, “WAIT! THAT’S JUST SPIT!”


hope you guys liked that XD i used to really like that show and Joshua’s name was just too perfect <3 if he were really a dragon…i cant XD happy holidays and more tomorrow!!!