001

Bruises, Cuts, and Scars.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'll go ahead and call it a night then." Minho began to pull on his white robe as he teared the stethoscope away from his neck while giving a teasing salute to his assistant, Lee Jinki.

Ready to grab the younger doctor into a fit of fake strangulation, Jinki's grin faded once they were interrupted with the alarming ring of the office's telephone. 

Making eye contact with uncertainty, Minho decided to cut off the silence. 

"Should we answer?" Minho knew if he answered that phone, it would have the high probability of risking having a peaceful slumber for the rest of the night.

"If you want to kill yourself out of insomnia and multiple energy drinks this night, then sure." Jinki grunted with a hand running over his neck.

"Then go ahead and start preparing our funerals, my friend." And with a tired sigh, Minho picked up the telephone. 

"Doctor Choi Minho speaking, how can I-"

"Minho... we have an unconscious girl in the apartment, we need you here now or else we don't know if she will make it alive to the hospital." The familiar voice of officer, Lee Taemin rang into his ears with the deep breathing giving a sign of how serious the case was.

Feeling chills run down his spine, Minho saw Jinki preparing all the instruments quickly in the corner of his eye.

Nodding to nobody but himself, Minho fumbled with the car keys within one of the many pockets on his doctor's jacket. 

"What's the address?"

Slapping the car's door shut, Minho walked up towards the scene with multiple police cars surrounding the apartment complex within the crowded streets of Gangnam. Eyeing the yellow tape blocking the front entrance of the said, red apartment building, Minho went ahead and bended below it as his steps quickened towards Taemin who was waiting by the elevators, Jinki rushing behind his steps.

"Taemin," Minho nodded at the young officer who merely gave a small smirk as he viewed the eyebags under the doctor's big eyes.

"Tough week?" Taemin pointed at the said, tired eyes.

"And a long one, where is the girl?" Minho began to press onto the elevator's button but was stopped by the slender arm of Taemin's.

"No need, the apartment is crowded with investigators. The girl is coming down in the paramedic's bed, check up on her at the ambulance as soon as she gets there." Taemin tapped his feet, a habit Minho had found seen he does when a case is serious or ugly.

"Is she bad?" Minho grabbed onto the same sthethoscope he had placed earlier from Jinki's hand and wrapped it around his neck.

Taemin nodded. "She's so serious, I thought she was already dead if it wasn't for the pulse officer Qian found on her. But it's so faint, it can stop any second now. That is why we needed you, Minho."

Minho nodded and placed a strong hold onto his shoulder with a grin. "And you did well, I'll make sure that pulse is as strong as a growing child's heartbeat."

Taemin smiled, yet before he could reply they were suddenly bombarded by the sight of the elevator door opening and rushing ambulance assistants pushing the paramedic's bed with the girl towards the outside of the building and into the ambulance.

As Jinki began to run behind the said bed, Minho gave one last nod towards the youngest officer in Seoul.

"That's my cue."

When Taemin said bad, Minho didn't believe the fact that bad seemed to be an understatement. The girl looked gravelly ill.

From her tall and pale frame being wrapped with all sorts of different bruises of all colors, from light red to deep purple, Minho found himself cringing at the first sight of those bruises all around her body. The cuts all around herself were another testimony of the horrid sight as well as the fact that the girl was so badly nutritioned that some of her bones were beginning to pop out.

"What happened to her?" Jinki spoke what Minho has been trying to solve as his hands began to work his way into her health.

"Plug in the oxygen tank, her lungs can barely breathe." Beginning to yell orders, the young doctor held onto the bed tightly before it could turn from the sharp turn the driver had done in a hurry. "Drive faster, this is serious. We need a blood transfusion into her, she already lost too much blood." Having a strong hold onto the wrapped bandange of the slitted wrist he could only identify as self-infliction, Minho kept a strong look on the girl heaving deeply from the oxygen tank.

"Three more minutes and we are there, Doctor Choi." Nodding towards one of the concerned nurses, Minho took a deep breath.

"Three more minutes, keep breathing for me." He spoke towards the ill patient who he had not even have the time to know of her name yet. 

Viewing the bright, white building speed into the emergency lot of the hospital, Minho took a glance at Jinki who kept his eyes straight on the patient as well. Feeling the sense of being watched, the fellow assistant looked up to meet eyes with him. 

"Are you ready?" Minho asked.

"Ready as much as she is to breathe normal again." Jinki nodded in determination.

Before Minho could reply, the back doors of the ambulance opened with the beginning of the bed being rushed into the building and his long legs pushing the bed in a hurry as well.

...

Walking out of the operation room, Minho lingered on eyeing the now, white bed with the young female being slowly pushed onto her assigned room, her breathing now slow and calm.

"Success, Dr. Choi!" Turning to see Jinki mimicking one of the many nurses with high-pitched voices, Minho shook his head with a tired yawn.

"She's a strong girl, she had so much blood lost, I wonder how she made it through that risky transfusion." Minho took another look behind him but found an empty hallway.

"She's a young one, stronger than an old person would be." Jinki also took a look over his shoulder quickly before giving his own yawn. 

Jinki touched Minho's shoulder. "Come on, let's head home. It's two in the morning... we can still get a full night rest before our shift tomorrow at noon again."

Minho nodded, giving his own small smile.

"Sleep sounds nice right about now." Once again, he teared off his doctor's jacket as he hanged it up on his personal office before heading out.

Minho headed into his office once again, coffee cup in hand as he took a quiet sip into his drink. Beginning to grasp onto the documented papers, his frame turned to see his close nurse friend, Kim Jonghyun walk into the office without even knocking.

"Getting too comfortable with me?"

"Tone down the bragging, frog. I've known you since first grade, I think privacy is not in our terms by now."

Minho rolled his eyes with a small smirk. "What do you want, hyung?"

Furrowing eyebrows, Jonghyun shook his head. "What do I want? More like I should be telling you, what are you doing here?"

Minho looked at the nurse nonchalantly. "Working?"

"You are not playing me." Jonghyun chuckled. "Your shift starts at noon and it's barely nine in the morning... You are never early to work. What's up?"

"Nothing, really. I couldn't sleep so I just decided to come in-" He looked up to the loud gasp from the dark-haired nurse. 

"Minho... Not being able to sleep? Is that you? The guy that slept two days straight?" Jonghyun eyed the male suspiciously.

Again, Minho rolled his eyes. "Look, if you are here to tease me then I have-"

"Woah, woah, woah. Don't get all riled up now, I was joking Minho. If you are really having trouble with sleeping, come to me. I have some good teas for insomnia... You know how much I struggle daily with sleep." Jonghyun nodded with his hand running over his neck. 

Grinning, Minho nodded and gave a small chuckle once he saw the older nurse walk out of his office after seeing his latest fling of the new nurse in the hall, Park Sandara.

...

Minho stood before one of the many empty hallways holding hundreds of patients, however he stood before room number 509. His eyes looking into the window with the binds slightly open, enough for his large eyes to inspect the patient clearly.

Her wounds were healing but the bruises were as deep as the night before. She would be scarred, that's for sure.

However the question to himself was... 

"Why do you even care? She's one of many patients you have treated. What's the difference between her?" His mind screamed at him with those words multiply as his paranoid side kicked in and he kept a look out if people were looking or around snooping.

However, each time those words plagued his mind, his blood felt another thing. It felt as if a magnet was appaling him from those thoughts. 

He couldn't handle it.

Slowly and cautiously, the tall and youngest doctor of the hospital took quiet steps into the patient room. His tenses cringed at the multiple IV drips, the several tubes around her body, and the loud monitor beeping steadily. Maybe it was pity, or maybe it was his gentlemen side, but he couldn't handle seeing the young girl in such state. He would do whatever it takes to get her health back to neutrality.

Taking the singular seat next to the bed, Minho noticed the dryness and emptiness of the room. Not a single person had stepped into the room, not a single relative had ran down the hall into the room, and not a single 'get well soon,' gift was found in the room.

His hands slowly reached for the same wrist that had been open in an attempt to give her life away, his eyes tendely watched the wrapped bandage sealing the infliction yet the feeling of the slim arm was enough for his hold onto the lady's arm to be so cautious and careful, as if it was the finest porcelain vase that with a touch can be broken into pieces.

Roaming large brown eyes at the clock reading eleven thirty in the morning, he began to sigh knowing his shift will start off in a manner of time. Yet, before rising to leave the room, his eyes landed on the plastic band wrapped around the exact wrist he had been holding. Reading the plastered letters on the wristband, a small smile spreaded over his thick lips.

"Nice to meet you, Choi Sulli." Minho whispered into the air in hopes of reaching the still, unconscious girl.

From there, Minho visited the same exact patient with the long tresses of hair, fragile body and pale skin of the snow. Every day before his shift would begin, his frame would be found staring at the girl as he sat before her bed, watching the steady breathing.

It wasn't until the fourth day of meeting his unconscious patient, that he was met with a suspicious Jinki leaning against the window once he had stepped out of the room at exactly eleven thirty in the morning as usual.

Taking a glance at his older assistant, Minho already had a clear note of what his assistant would pester him with and he rolled his eyes as he quickly began walking towards his office.

"Oh no you are not!" Jinki grabbed onto the younger doctor's sleeve of his sweater that would be covered in a few minutes by the typical white doctor's robe. "Tell me why I had to go through the CCTV's in order to find you going into that girl's room?" Jinki asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"I'm checking on her." Minho replied as if it was nothing out of the ordinary.

"You never do that." Jinki wasn't cooperating with his words since he knew who Minho was more than himself knew.

"What is so wrong about checking on a patient?" Minho glared at the latter.

"Nothing. But the fact that you always don't even give a second glance to your patients after operating with them, makes this seem a bit weird." Jinki replied.

"This one is different, she is fragile." Minho's eyes softened unconsciously to which Jinki fortunately hadn't taken notice of.

But his words were enough for the assistant to smirk devilishly. "Or is she pretty under those scars and bruises?" Jinki slightly shoved the young male in a teasing manner.

However, instead of grinning or laughing. Minho grunted as he stormed off away from the assistant and into his assigned office, slamming the door loud enough for people to stare in shock.

Jinki merely shook his head with a grin. 

"I never thought he would be into troublesome girls..." 

Night had come and Minho was found pulling out the syringes deep in his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter