Still, Waiting

Looking for the Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Still, Waiting

 

 

It’s already a new season

The night air has gotten cold

How are you? Are you healthy?

I walked by your house and thought of you again

 

I should be hurting

But the human heart is so mysterious

Every time I think of you

It hurts but I’m happy

 

Kyuhyun woke up from the gentle sounds of the song he put on as an alarm. He blindly reached for his phone on the bedside table and turned it off. A part of him wanted to go back to sleep since it’s his first weekend after the hectic schedule of being a graduating student at his university. However, he only have this weekend off because of the Thanksgiving holiday so he unwillingly got up and went to the bathroom to wash up.

“Good morning Kyuhyun-ah,” his mother’s gentle voice greeted him upon entering the dining room afterwards. His parents are both home for the weekends as well. Although he still barely sees them because of their work.

Kyuhyun sat down on the seat opposite his dad who was sipping a coffee while reading a newspaper. “Morning mom, dad,”

His mom, a short yet kind-faced lady placed a plate in front of him and started putting pancakes and sausages for him. “Prepare yourself after eating dear. We will go to your grandma right after,” They decided to celebrate Thanksgiving at his grandmother’s home, which is also the house where he grew up. They transferred to another city almost sixteen years ago.

Kyuhyun smiled because visiting his grandma’s home means meeting his old childhood friend. He finished his breakfast and went into his room to prepare.

 

It took them five hours to reach their destination and Kyuhyun’s old grandmother happily welcomed them into the house. She chose to live all by herself instead of joining the family in the busy city of Seoul.

“How many days are you staying here Kyuhyun-ah?” she asked as he accompanied her grandson to his old bedroom.

“Two days granny,” he replied looking around the room. Nothing had changed since the last time he had been in that room. He smiled seeing his old textbooks on the bookshelf.

“It’s still the same isn’t it?” hi grandma said voicing out his thoughts. “I am always careful whenever I clean your room. I want it to look the same as what you remember from your childhood.”

“Thanks for cleaning it granny, but you don’t need to. I don’t want to get you tired,” he said concerned for the health of his grandmother.

“It’s okay. I’m still strong to do light house chores, besides it is boring to just sit or lie down all day... so why not clean the house when I can right?”

He smiled and sat down on his old bed. He saw a picture frame hanging on the wall. It was a photo of him and his best friend.

“Granny, is Eunhyuk still living here?”

“Yes he is. Sometimes he visits me with his friend Donghae,” she replied. “Go visit him at their house. He’s probably there,”

 

 

Kyuhyun went to Eunhyuk’s house and was warmly welcomed by the parents of his close friend. However the person he needed to see wasn’t around. Eunhyuk’s mother told him that his son was at their old school and helping out for his auntie who happens to be teaching there.

Unwilling to wait anymore, Kyuhyun followed his friend at the school. He found him at the covered court where a children’s fair is being held. He tiptoed quietly towards his clueless friend and tackled him to the ground.

“How’s my favourite friend doing?” he asked smiling.

Eunhyuk was surprised but quickly recovered and wiggled his way out of Kyuhyun’s grasp. “Favourite friend?” standing he crossed his arm.

Kyuhyun grinned.

“After leaving me alone here?”

“Are we still not over that?” Eunhyuk was a little bit upset when Kyuhyun told him the news of him moving away for the next school year. He was sad that the friend who always helps him at school will not be there anymore.

“Maybe...” Eunhyuk just rolled his eyes. “Why are you here anyway?”

“For thanksgivings. And visiting granny,” he answered.

“I’ve been visiting your granny.”

“I know. She told me about it,” Kyuhyun said. They walked around the court watching the booths that they passed by.

“We’re best friends you know. I’m not her favourite and not you,” Eunhyuk teased.

Kyuhyun shook his head. “She told me about this Donghae person. You’ve got a lot of stories to tell me,”

“I will. I promise to tell you everything, but before that let me tour you to our dear old school...” he pulled his friend and began talking about each of the booths. “...I’ve missed this fair. Remember when we were young? I don’t see most of our former classmates anymore...” he began.

Kyuhyun quietly listened to his friend’s talking. He felt a bit of nostalgia as he walked through the grounds of his old school. He felt like a child again, wandering aimlessly inside the hallways of the building. They passed by the library which was closed at that day. He wondered if the old librarian is still there. He used to spend a lot of time inside the library.

 

 

 

And while the Little Prince was away, the rose patiently waited for him.

Days, months, years... decades passed by

The rose held on to that faint memory in the heart

Because the rose knows that he will come back.

Someday he will...

 

Kyuhyun whirled around when he heard delicate voice telling a story. He listened to it and thought that it sounds familiar, like he knows who the owner of the voice is. He walked nearer to where it comes from and saw some children listening to a storytelling of a young man, probably the same age as he is. He stared at the man with his judging eyes – a weird feeling crept up to him.

“Psst...Kyuhyun!” Eunhyuk called him. He was looking after him and found him at that building. “Where have you been?”

“I just went to the comfort room,” he replied. He tugged his friend forward. “Do you know him?” he looked at the man again.

Eunhyuk smiled and eyed him. “Why?”

“Just answer meeeee,”

“His name is Ryeowook. He transferred at our university during my second year,” he explained.

“I feel like I already saw him before. I just don’t remember when and where,” he stared curiously at the man.

Eunhyuk pursed his lips. “Maybe you saw him before but I don’t know much about him to inform you. We’re not close. He’s from Music Department,”

“But Kyu I’m sorry to interrupt you but we need to go now. You can meet him later,” Eunhyuk pulled him away and back to the covered court. As they leave Kyuhyun spared one last glance at the man. At the same time, the man lifted his head and catches him staring.

 

 

***

 

When Kyuhyun went home that afternoon he got busy digging out on his old stuffs. He organized it and thought that maybe he could find something that he can bring back home in the city.

He found his old clothes he was found inside the cabinet. “Why didn’t granny throw these away?” he said and took them out of the cabinet. He carefully folded them and placed in plastic bags. It would be better if he donates it to someone who needs it. He also saw his school uniforms from his old school. He chuckled thinking how small he was before.

Someone knocked on his door and his granny entered holding a tray of cookies and juice. “Thought you want some snacks while doing that,”

Kyuhyun smiled and gestured for her to sit down on his bed. He thanked her for the food and took a bite while packing the clothes.

“Are we finally getting rid of them?” she was talking about the old clothes.

“You could have thrown them away if you like. I wouldn’t mind,” Kyuhyun zip the last plastic bag and went to sit beside his grandmother. He took another piece of cookies that she probably baked.

“I don’t touch stuffs that aren’t mine,” she explained. “And I thought that you wanted to keep the memories,”

“But they’re a waste of space. Maybe in the future I would move back here and I will need this cabinet again. And you know, I have many clothes I think it will not all fit here.”

“Does it mean you are moving back with me?”

Kyuhyun bit his lips. He wants to live with his grandmother but his life now is im the city. After graduating, He already expects to look for a job there. He can't just change his plans like that.

"I can't promise you anything granny, but you will see me more often than before."

His grandmother didn't say anything but she smiled in understanding. Next, Kyuhyun arranged the books on his shelf. He is planning to throw away all his textbooks in grade school. He carefully took them away and set in a box. Some old notebooks were also placed in the book shelf. While taking one notebook a letter fell from it.

He took and read it. The letter is addressed to someone called 'Mr. Pilot' and the sender's name was 'Little Prince'. He frowned trying to remember where the letter came from.

&What is that Kyuhyun? Is it an old love letter from your crush?& his grandmother teased.

Kyuhyun smiled and shook his head

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter