Ice Cold

Ice Cold
I loved the cold. I was a skater. That’s how it was. I grew up practically living in the ice rink. I skated every day after school, after work, on the weekends, after practice I was still there. It made me feel alive and free. I felt like a bird soaring in the winter air. I was in love with this sport. When I competed and always got 1st place. They say I skate with passion and feeling and emotion. I put my heart into it. I put my all into it. I skate like it would be the last time I would ever skate. My biggest competition is coming up soon and I have a…well a distraction.
 
Min Yoongi.
 
A musician.
 
And my crush.
 
His black hair and his pale smooth skin. His sharp dark eyes are so enchanting. I could fall asleep listening to his soothing voice. I could melt if I were to kiss those soft pink lips. He would make me feel warm. Whenever I see him at my college my cheeks would burn and I would stutter. My heart races like a horse competing and my mind goes fuzzy. I can’t speak when I see him. I trip over my words. I lose balance when I walk or even stand. I’m not myself when he’s around. I’m this hopeless lovesick fool. My competition comes closer and closer and he talks to me more and more.
 
Next week. Next week. Next week.
 
It’s here. The fateful day. My competition. I dressed in my flow short purple dress for my first song.
 
“MINOH AREUM WILL BE SKATING TO ‘BECAUSE IT IS LOVE’ BY AILEE” The announcer said. I skated onto the ice and the song began.
 
Axel jumps, back spins, backflips, Beillmann spins, camel spins, chasses, my famous signature fan spiral, upright spins, Russian spin jumps, I put so much power into my first performance. I ended center-ice and facing the judges. I bowed then left the ice and waited for the points to show up on the board and saw that I once again got a perfect score. I smiled as the crowd cheered and I left to change into my next costume. On my way to the dressing room I saw a man with black shiny hair resembling Yoongi’s.
 
“Yoongi?” I asked. He turned and smiled once he saw me. He ran to me and lifted to me up and spun me around smiling.
 
“You did great!!” He said when he finally set me down. My cheeks flushed.
 
“Th-Thanks…” I said shyly.
 
“Listen, Minoh.. I wanted to tell you that I lo-“ “Minoh. You need to change now.” My mother said. I nodded to her.
 
“Hold that thought Yoongi. I gotta go change for my second song. Want to watch?” I asked. He looked shocked for a second.
 
“W-Watch y-y-you… OH watch your performance! I’d love to! I’m actually going to go back to my seat. I’ll see you later! I’ll be watching.” He said with a smile and kissed my cheek and ran off. I blushed profusely and was pulled into the locker room where I changed once again into a light blue dress that faded to navy with sparkles scattered on the skirt. My hair was already curled and I was ready.
 
“ROUND 2 MINOH WILL BE SKATING TO ‘SO I LOVE YOU’ BY AILEE” The announcer said. I skated onto the ice and the guitar that started the song began to play. I once again skated but this time with much more feeling and emotion. With love. I knew he was watching so I did my ultimate best. I let the tears fall from my eyes as I kept dancing and skating and feeling the love I had for Min Yoongi. During this dance I realized how much I loved him. The song ended and I was center-ice with the crowd cheering louder. The judges, another perfect score. I changed for the last time into a black, purple, blue dress with a pearl-white sash tied at the waist.
 
My last dance. My biggest performance. This is it Minoh.
 
I saw Yoongi staring at me in awe. I smiled at him and my name was announced.
 
“FINAL ROUND MINOH AREUM WILL BE SKATING TO ‘GOODBYE MY LOVE’ BY AILEE” The crowd cheered as I made my way to the ice. I skated as the song began. I made eye connection with Yoongi at some times and I continued to skate with emotion and sadness as if I was saying goodbye to him. I skated with passion and power and love. I began to cry thinking of life without Yoongi. I never want to say goodbye to him. I never want to say that. The song ended and I stood center-ice with tears still in my eyes. I bowed, skated off, and waited. Not for the points.
 
“THE WINNER OF 2016 NATIONAL ICE SKATING COMPETITION IS MINOH AREUM” The announcer said. I began crying and skated around with my trophy and sash I received. People threw flowers and I caught them. They announced 2nd and 3rd place and I gave them a hug and congratulated them and skated off. I took photos and changed into normal clothes.
 
“MINOH! MINOH!!” I heard my name being yelled as I tried to leave the convention center.
 
It was Yoongi.
 
He ran to me and gave me a big hug which I gladly returned.
 
“What did you want to tell me?” I asked.
 
“I love you… I didn’t realize it until I saw your name outside the convention center. I love you Minoh Areum.” He said. I smiled and kissed him on the lips. He returned the kiss I melted. The warmth of life coming to me. His soft pink lips on my cold pale ones.
 
“I love you Min Yoongi.” I whispered against his lips. He smiled and kissed me once again. We left the convention center hand in hand. I was in love. He was mine. I couldn’t have asked for anything else. 
 
“AYE MINOH!” I heard a yell from behind me. They sounded mad. I turned and saw the mother of the second place winner standing there, completely pissed off.
 
They raised a gun and fired.
 
Yoongi fell down.
 
Screams were all I heard as the mother was taken by the police and I dropped everything. I dropped the flowers, the trophy. I was by his side.
 
“I love you…” Was the last thing he said before I felt the cold.
 
I never skated again.
 
Everything cold I once loved I now feared.