A Rainbow Before the Rain

The 14th Poem
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SM Academy

 

Doyoung found it difficult to concentrate in his lessons after he and Mina talked over at NCT Blends last Saturday. A tinge of guilt stabs at the back of his mind whenever he's reminded of his friend's request of taking care of her boyfriend. When he met Jung Jaehyun for the first time, he instantly succumbed to the idea that he would never be able to break away from the restraints of their cafe crew-valued customer relationship, but he was actually fine with that. However, after Mina revealed that he's her boyfriend, Doyoung gave up his hopes, not his feelings, but he wished for them to fade away and be replaced by friendship. He had high hopes for this scenario to happen: all of them, Mina, Jaehyun, Winwin, Ten, and him forming a circle of friends bound by strong friendship and love. 

 

But now, he's confused.

 

Mina looks at Jaehyun as someone dear, almost like a brother while the other looks at the girl with much love and passion. Just the thought of it makes Doyoung's shoulders fall and lips pout as he nimbles the pages of the book on his desk; his teacher's voice seemingly distant in his head. He imagined being in Jaehyun's shoes and he can almost feel the pain the latter is about to suffer once he knows about Mina's plan. He felt so down and lifeless as he drowned himself with his thoughts when he suddenly heard his name being called by a familiar voice.

 

"Mr. Kim? Mr. Kim? Kim Dong Young!" Doyoung snapped out of his thoughts, he followed the direction of the voice only to find two questioning and glaring eyes of his teacher turning him as stiff as a stone as Medusa would do her victims. Aside from Mr. Lee Donghae, he also noticed the whole class looking at him. He made a quick scan of the room as he scratched the back of his head in embarrassment, noticing Jaehyun's look of concern overpowering other eyes glued to him.

 

He turned back to Mr. Lee with a sweaty forehead and shaking hands. He easily sweats when facing embarrassing moments like this one. He didn't have the slightest idea what his teacher said prior to calling out his name. He only uttered a shaky "Ye-ye-yes Sir?" to the teacher who started walking towards his seat, heavy steps hammered against the classroom floor echoing on each corner of the room leaving the whole class silenced.

 

Doyoung gulped. He felt himself slowly crushing and shrinking down on his seat as Mr. Lee slowly occupied the majority of his sight. The teacher had a serious look on his face, not really angry as Doyoung had deduced. He seemed relaxed despite raising his voice a little earlier when he was calling Doyoung's attention. 

 

In his peripheral vision, he noticed Jaehyun murmuring somehing to Winwin but he quickly glanced back to the teacher who already halted in front of him. He took another gulp and realized his throat became really dry. "Were you listening to me Doyoung? How many times should I ask you?" Mr. Lee's voice is filled with more concern though the irritation is present and very evident as well.

 

Doyoung slightly felt at ease noticing that the teacher was not really mad. He hated dozing off too much during class. "I'm sorry Mr. Lee." That's all he managed to say.

 

Mr. Lee bit his lower lip then looked at his unattentive student once again. "Okay, I hope that you're listening well now." Doyoung nodded. "Since you were not listening earlier, you don't have any option to decline."

 

A smile formed on the teacher's handsome face and Doyoung noticed his classmates giggling and others were even sighing in relief which made Doyoung confused as he looked back at his teacher. 

 

"I'm assigning you to be the overall in-charge of the class's entry for this school year's musical competition."

 

The whole class was filled with the sounds of hands clapping and cheers. Doyoung's jaw dropped from his teacher's announcement. "Sir, but why me?"

 

"You have the best voice in class. I heard you sing before that's why I know. The whole class' reputation is in your hands Mr. Kim. We're expecting a lot from you." Mr. Lee returned in front of the classroom perfectly timed with the bell ring, signalling the time for lunch break. The class was dismissed but Doyoung did not leave his seat. His classmates were congratulating him as they leave the classroom. Jaehyun and Winwin went to him. 

 

Two things came up to Doyoung's mind after the announcement. First, it would be really fun doing the musical and being the core of every bit of it, from storyline to costumes, down to the choice of actors and songs. This is the good side he thought. Second though, it would require a huge amount of time and effort for him to pull the whole show off. He has a lot of things to worry about such as his work at the cafe, his exams and projects, his recital in his music class, time with friends, etc. 

 

Winwin grabbed his shoulders and shook him a bit. "Wow! Congratulations Hyung! I believe we'll win because of you." He seemed really happy and excited disregarding the frustrated look on his friends' bunny face. 

 

"Hyung, it's okay. I know you can do it. We'll help you, don't worry." Doyoung felt a jolt of electricity flowed in his spine when he heard Jaehyun's deep yet sweet voice. He looked up at him. Jaehyun was smiling like an angel sent from above, his dimples on full display and his eye smile made him look a lot younger, as if he came there to make Doyoung's worries go away. 

 

The guy with the doe eyes stood from his seat and smiled at his two friends. "Thank you guys. I just hope everyone would be cooperative and that everything will go well." With that, the three friends proceeded to the canteen where Ten and Mina were waiting. Jaehyun wrapped his arm around Doyoung's shoulders on the way which made the older's cheeks blushed bright red throughout the time they were walking. He hoped that none of the two noticed.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter