1/1

Surprises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was one of the coldest nights in January and city was full of people who were celebrating their independence day with their families; it was the 14th anniversary of that day and for unknown reason people were happy because they thought that it was for best, ignoring all the hardship they had to go through, and maybe they were so worked up about the big change and they didn’t feel the main hardship, people in all TV channels were laughing behind the desks which were full of beautiful flowers behind the big window of multimedia store where two young kid with dirty faces were watching.

“I wish I could eat one of those fruits, they look so yummy hyung.” The skinny boy said and the other just took the latter’s hand,”you will Wonshikkie, one day you’ll be disgusted by how much you eat fruits and yummy food.” The older boy said smiling.

“Jaehwan hyung, are you sure?” Wonshik asked while cleaning his nose cutely with his sleeves.

“I’m sure Wonshikkie, today is a busy day so you should try harder to talk to people to get money, ok?” Jaehwan said to younger and latter just nodded.

“Let’s meet up at night I’ll wait for you.” Jaehwan said and rushed to other side of the street.

***

“How much did you get Woshikkie?” Jaehwan asked his little friend, while checking his coins in his dirty palm.

“No one gave me money hyung, its only 20 dollars, He is going to hit me again.” with that he started to cry soundlessly.

Jaehwan hugged him and pulled some coins out of his back pocket and put them in latter’s hand.

“But hyung…!!”Wonshik said but got cut, “I have enough Wonshikkie, you haven’t eat for two days because of low money you take, let’s go to the dorm.”

***

Slap!!!

“Yah, No food for you Jaehwan, you just brought 20 ing dollar, what the hell were you thinking? You should beg people for money, now get out of my sight.” Scary guy shouted while hitting the poor boy, then dragged him to the room they were staying at night.

Wonshik was crying looking at his money, he had 30 dollars thanks to Jaehwan and the scary guy just threw him a half of some dried bread.

After eating their supposed dinner Wonshik rushed to to his best friend who was crying because of pain.

“Hyung, I’m really sorry.” He said crying and pulled his bread out of his pocket with his shaky hand.

“Don’t be, I shouldn’t eat and that’s yours eat up.” Jaehwan said smiling, Wonshik shook his head and pushed the bread in latter’s mouth.

***

 “The police have reported that the number of beggar kids in streets is getting higher and the kids are staying in not healthy atmosphere without any education and the only thing they do is work, so the government put the police in charge of taking an action to arrest the base core of their band so they could rescue the poor fellas and bring them to orphanage so the wealthier families get them under their wings.” The Newspaper got crumpled by an angry guy.

“We are moving.”

***

“Wonshik, I can’t walk you to the theater, you know the way right?” Jaehwan said ruffling the boy’s hair.

“But hyung we just change the dorm’s place I may get lost without you.” He pouted and Jaehwan laughed. after changing their headquarters younger had hard time memorizing the address.

“Just take care of yourself.” Jaehwan said and waved. “You too hyung.” Wonshik smiled and left for his destination.

Wonshik was in front of a theater begging young couples for paying him when someone grabbed his wrist and even though he was scared and expect the worst to come, the man didn’t harm him. he had a uniform and Wonshik was aware that the guy was Police officer.

“Don’t be scared I’m going to take you to a nice place.” The guys said but Wonshik’s tears started to roll down from his eyes.

When he entered the van and saw kids around his age and some from their dorm in it, he couldn’t find his beloved hyung and that made his heart sank.

“Ok, does any of you knows their headquarters? We’ll help your friends to be out.” The same guys said but no one said anything because they were scared to death.

The guys sighed and informed to the driver to drive to police station, after so many question which remained unanswered, they took some kids to separate orphanages and that was when Wonshik knew that he had a whole new life before him.

***

“Drag your lazy asses and gather the belongings we are moving again, move, move, move.” The guys shouted making Jaehwan jump, he was waiting for Wonshik and the latter was nowhere to be seen.

“B…but… Wonshik is not here yet.” Jaehwan said and got answered with a deathly glare.

“He won’t be back Jaehwan, they got him that’s why we are moving again, now move.” The guy shouted and Jaehwan knew very well that not coming back meant.

***

“So our boys are staying in this dorm. They have art classes and some few has music classes, because it costs us much more, anyway here are their files so you can read and choose your wanted kid, but first of all we need to know that you are suitable for the kid.” Mina, orphanage’s nurse informed the family that looking for adopting a kid to make their family bigger and make the kid’s life little bit better.

“Mom, where is my brother?” the little kid who was in his mother’s embrace said while pouting.

“We are here to see him, you should wait here, and they won’t allow you inside the dorm.” His dad took him in his arms and put him down after kissing his cheek.

“Can I play at play ground?” boy said and his dad nodded.

“yayyyyy.” Little kid smiled showing his dimples and went to the playground.

“Kids grow really fast.” The lady said tugging in to his husband’s arm and led him to the dorm.

***

“Can I play with you?” Hongbin asked smiling toward a skinny kid sitting alone on the swing, the boy just watched him terrified and run away; Hongbin was so curious about the reason why the boy ran away, so he followed the boy.

“I just want to play with you, can we just be friends?” he said pouting, the boy just nodded and came closer. ”My name is Hongbin and I’m 5, what’s your name?”

“My name is Wonshik, I’m 7.” The boy said still uneasy.

“You’re my hyung then, can we play now? Please?” Hongbin begged and Wonshik had no reason to decline the latter’s offer.

They were playing and after 2 months staying there Wonshik was feeling really happy.

“Siwon ah look at there.” The lady pointed the playground and called her husband.

“What is it baby?” Siwon turned to the direction which his wife was pointing.

“Who is that kid? Hongbin looks really happy.” Siwon said and his wife agreed.

“what do you think about taking him in?” his wife said but Siwon was not so sure.”he is older than Hongbin and it will be hard for him to match with his new life, don’t you think?” Siwon said but his wife rolled her eyes.

“He is cute and look, he is helping Hongbin. We should talk to the chief, come on.”

“you should read his file, he was one the beggary cases that we took him in, and you should be more considerable, if anything happens next we won’t be responsible for it.” the lady said while smiling.

They were out of her office, “see she has the same opinion Sara, we can’t risk Hongbin’s life with that.” Siwon said but his wife protested. “I’ll talk to Hongbin, you wait here honey.”

“Honbin honey can I talk to you for a moment?” Sara called her baby boy and Hongbin ran to his mother.

“Yes mommy?” he shouted tagging Wonshik along.

“Who is this little handsome boy here?” she asked.

“I’m Wonshik ma’am.” Wonshik said and that was how Jaehwan thought him to talk to elders.

“What do you think about Hongbin, Wonshik?” she asked ruffling his son’s hair.

“He is my friend and he … he is nice.” He said lowering his head.

“You’re cute, do you want to be Hongbin’s big brother?” she smiled when he saw the frown on the latter’s forehead.

“I mean I’m gonna be your mom and you’ll have a dad, do you love that?” she said and it was then Hongbin started to sing a happy song and clap his little hand.

“a..are you sure? No one wants to take me.” Wonshik asked.

“You just need to promise me something!” she said smiling. “You need to promise me to take good care of Hongbin, can you do that for me?” she asked and little guys nodded furiously, he really wanted to live in a happy family, but still he wished Jaehwan was with him as well.

“Yes ma’am.” He said but the lady frowned. “Call me mommy just like Hongbin, ok? Now shall we go and meet your daddy?” the boy nodded and she stood up.

“Siwon ah, I’m taking all the responsibility, so you don’t have to worry ok?” Sara said after all of the negative words Siwon whispered to her but hearing that, he just obeyed.

“I wish you consider everything honey.” He said and sat to be in the same level with the boy. “Hello young man, I’m Siwon and as she told you I’m going to be your dad.” He said and smiled, the boy was really cute.

“Yes, d..daddy.” he said and bowed.

“Wow, you know manners very well.” He smiled and ruffled the boy’s hair.

“So let’s sign some papers and head to home.” He said and Hongbin jumped from happiness.

***

8 years later

“Hyung, I’m going to play at park why don’t you want to come?” Hongin whined at his brother’s doorframe.

“Hongbin ah, I have exam and I need to study, you need to wait for an hour and I’ll be there, ok?” Wonshik smiled but Hongbin whined.

“Ok, ok… I’ll come, just wait a minute.” He said and Hongbin laughed soundlessly.

“Are you teasing your brother again?” Sara was looking at the young boy who was rolling his eyes.

“No, Mom he was asking to take him to playground it’s ok. I’ll study later.” He said smiling to his mother.

“Take care Wonshikah” she said then kissed Hongbin and him.

“Hyung why are you studying all the time?” Hongbin said playing with his soccer ball.

“Because I need to be top in my class to enter music club.” He said and winked at his younger brother.

The first time Wonshik entered his new house he started to have nightmares every night and every time forgetting them. Siwon was getting worried because he thought that taking him in wasn’t a good idea but Sara took the little fella to the psychologist and that helped Wonshik a lot. The life was getting better for him, Wonshik was head of dancing club and Siwon was so furious about joining other club, so he promised his dad he will be top in his class so his dad would let him join.

They played for almost 3 hours

“hyung pass me the ball, Hongbin shouted and Wonshik did as he was told.” Hongbin and Wonshik were really good in soccer but Wonshik preferred working on music.

“Wonshikah, I haven’t seen you around.” Wonshik turned to the voice and his smile got wider, a tall guy in his twenties. “How are you doing Hyung?” he said and the guy just nodded.

“I’m expecting to see at your Judo classes.” He said and went away.

“hyung was that Leo? Your famous judo teacher! Huyng how can you be best in everything?” Hongbin pouted but Wonshik ruffled the latter’s hair,” you can be best if you try harder.” Hongbin mimicked his brother with a frown. “You are telling me the same things dad says.” Hongbin sat on the bench.

Wonshik took the ball and sat beside latter. “You know we love you and we want the best for you, you need to focus in the things you love, just like soccer. You can join soccer club when you enter High school.” Wonshik said and smiled.

“I’ll take a nap until dinner mom.” Wonshik informed his mother and collapsed on his bed and in no time he went into dreamland.

He was in a dark room and everywhere was dirty he could hear crying and he thought it was hongbin’s voice so he rushed to the voice but a boy much younger than Hongbin was on the floor his clothes were bloody and he was crying, the boy’s face was familiar but he couldn’t remember so he got closer.

“Wonshikkie, help me.” The kid cried and Wonshik was shock because the boy knew him.

“Hyung… Hyung… Hyung!!! Dinner is ready, come on I’m starving.” With that Wonshik jumped from his bed sweating.

It was the umpteenth time he was seeing the same dream and his mother had told him that it was nothing to worry about.

****

3 years later

“Happy birthday Wonshikah, now you are going to be my drinking partner after all these years I’m so happy.” Siwon said and tapped on Wonshik’s shoulder while Sara was wiping her tears.

“We are really happy Wonshik, and proud.” Sara said hugging him.

“And we got you a present it’s for your birthday and also to saying how happy we are that you got into medical university.” Siwon said handing him a key.

“It’s your new home, it’s not big but you’ll be comfortable there. ”Oh my god, thanks mom and dad.” Wonshik smiled and hugged them both.

“I’m against it. Why you need to stay in other house hyung?” Hongbin pouted and he was really angry.

“Because it’s near to his university and he is big enough to get more independent.” Siwon said but Hongbin didn’t buy it.

“Hongbinnie, I know it’s hard for you, it’s same for me but it’s for best.” Wonshik said and Hongbin just nodded.

“Can I come and visit?” Hongbin said.

“It would be my pleasure.” Wonshik smiled.

“We’ll visit you and you should come here on weekends, and don’t brag about studies.” Sara said and hugged Wonshik.

“Thank you again mom.” Wonshik said.

“When should I move out then?” Wonshik asked and Sara frowned.

“Not until getting into university, I don’t want to start missing you anytime sooner.”

Wonshik nodded and after getting his present form his younger brother they went to sleep.

It was cold so cold that he looked down, his feet were and full of buries. Snow was on the street’s surface, he turned around it was a big showcase of multimedia store and one of the televisions were on and showing some program and despite being outside the store he could hear the lady’s voice clearly.

“Police has taken an action in central parts of the city and they have took in 100 kids to the orphanage, some of the kids has exclaimed that they have friends who are still working as beggars.”

“Will they take us in hyung?” it was his own voice shaking.

“Let’s wish they don’t.” he heard a kid’s voice but no one was around.

“But the scary guy says if they take us they’ll kill us in no time.” It was his own voice again.

“I’ll take care of you, don’t worry.” It was the same voice again he turned to look but his body didn’t move like he was glued in the same position.

 

“Honey, don’t you need to get ready? Come on.” It was Sara’s voice and thankfully made Wonshik to wake up.

“I should get ready, thanks for waking me up mom.” He said stretching his body then he remembered his dream and called his mom.

“Mom could you make an appointment with Dr.Joo?” he said and her mother frowned.

“Did you have the same dream again?” Sara sat beside him and he just lowered his head.

“Honey its ok, you have nothing to do with it.” Sara hugged him but he shook his head.

“It gets more irritating, and I know it’s the same person and I can’t remember his face. I might sound stupid but I think he needs my help.” Wonshik said and Sara just sighed.

“I’ll call him and you don’t have to go to school it’s your last week anyways.” Sara said and exits the room.

 

***

 

“Hyung what have happened to you? You don’t seem good.” Hongbin said sitting beside his brother.

“I… Dr. Joo found my friend’s name in my former files when I had therapy sessions with him when I was sevenand after hearing his name so many memories came back to me. It’s so irritating how I forgot him during these years, and I’m afraid if … if he is dead by now or …” he started to tear up.

“Hyung don’t be like this, you don’t know maybe you could find him someday.” Hongbin were aware of his step brother’s condition and he understood him very well.

“I’m sorry for making you worried binnie.” Wonshik apologized but Hongbin smiled showing off his dimples.

“You are one lucky bustard to get that dimples from dad.” Wonshik laughed but he was thinking about his hyung name Jaehwan.

 

****

 

“Wonshik, have you packed everything?” Sara said with worry.

“Mom, he is not moving to other city he can take his things.” Hongbin said rolling his eyes.

“I’m just worried it’s his first time leaving me, you’re not mother to know my feelings.” Sara said tearing up.

“Honey he is going to be fine and we will go and check on him, don’t worry ok?” Siwon said and Sara pouted making the kids laugh.

“Mom stop it, you are freaking us out.” Hongbin said taking the last box to the truck.

“You don’t need any furniture cause I already bought them for you, you just need to eat well and study well, ok?” Sara said and Wonshik smiled.

“Thank you mom I appreciate all of your kindness.” Wonshik said and Siwon just ruffled his hair.

“It’s nothing son. You deserve the best.” Siwon said.

“Dad I need to talk to you in person.” Wonshik said and Siown frowned.

They went to Wonshik’s vacant room, “Dad I know how you taken care of me these past years and I really thank you guys but I guess I won’t need these anymore.” Wonshik handed his credit cards.

“What do you mean Wonshik ah? It’s yours and I’ll do anything to make you happy.” Siwon said.

“I… I know that but the house was totally enough, you don’t have to take care of me anymore and I really don’t want to be any burden on you guys, I can teach music or Judo to save money until I finish my studies.” Wonshik said but Siwon gave them back to latter.

“You’re my son even if it’s not genetically, you’re as important as Hongbin to us and I’m responsible for you until I die.” Siwon was really angry because of his son’s words.

 “I need to find a job to become independent dad…” he was trying to conceive his dad.

“Find a job and do it, but don’t you ever gave me these cards.” Siwon said and left the room.

“Why is so hard dealing with you dad?” Wonshik said and sighed.

 

***

Wonshik apartment was small and had a tiny kitchen; also it had two small bedrooms with wardrobe, and he was so happy being able to live there, but he was so worried about his new term in university.

 

“Hi there, how are you? I’m Hakyeon, me and my team are here to show you the campus and get you know your departments, medical students will be following me, Dental students would follow Younhwa and nursing students will follow Yura.” Tall feminine guy told the new group which contained Wonshik.

Each team went beside those three.

“Ok guys so we should head to our department, you need to know that all of professors has his /her own rule, don’t want to fail stick to rules. So here is girl’s dorm and that’s boy’s dorm which is not available because of new changes so you should rent your house but, you can search for lower prices, some of students needs roommate so I will let you know if anyone needs a roommate.” He smiled and showed the board.

“Here is the board for sudden changes in schedules so you need to check it first thing in the morning and this board is for students, all ads for anything and also meeting news will be announced here. So look at the board and your classes, do you have any question?” Hakyeon said smiling.

Wonshik and others were looking at board not giving any attention to Hakyeon, he rolled his eyes and bid every one good bye.

Wonshik was looking at the board and wrote down his schedule, then turned to student’s board. They were so many ads for roommate and he just sighed in relief because he had a house to live in.

One month passed and he was getting used to campus’ environment, it was lunch time and he was going toward his usual spot in cafeteria when he saw a boy sitting there munching his sandwich, Wonshik was about to sit when the guy looked up and bowed and was about to leave when Wonshik stopped him.

“Wait, you can still sit here, I’m not that fat to need lots of space.” Wonshik said smiling but the boy was looking down and he just nodded. He looked older than Wonshik but he was thin and looking at latter’s clothing and the way he wasn’t eating University’s food, Wonshik consumed he couldn’t afford that either.

“Ken ah, what are you doing here? It’s so hard seeing you here.” It was Hakyeon’s calm voice and the way he looked at the latter Wonshik assumed that he was happy to see him there.

“oh, Hello and you are?!” Hakyeon asked Wonshik and he knew the latter was asking his name.

“I’m Wonshik nice to meet you again Hakyeon ssi.” he said then he turned to see the Ken guy who was looking at him with a questioning look but when their eyes met Ken turned his head down and speeded his eating process up and left the table in three seconds.

“What just happened? Did I scare him off?” Wonshik was worried so he asked Hakyeon.

“He is so shy and not so social, he suffers because of all the things happening to him, and how I wish I could protect him.” Hakyeon said and that made Wonshik wonder.

“What exactly is his problem?” Wonshik asked in soft voice, Hakyeon was looking at the direct that Ken had just left.

“He was staying at dorm and because of sudden change he lost his room and… he couldn’t afford renting a house, I asked him to become my roommate but he refused because of my creepy roommates. I don’t even know where he stays.” Then it hit him, he shouldn’t tell others secrets to strangers.

“I’m begging you to not talk about this; please he won’t even look at me if he know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter