6. The End

The Great Pretenders

“Are these spoons dirty?”

She gives Baekhyun a look. The box clearly says Dirty spoons. “No. Take one.”

The man behind the counter widens his eyes, halting his movements in scooping the girl’s ice cream. “The spoons are dirt—”

“No, it's fine,” she tells the guy. “He should take one from there since he’s trash anyway.”

There is a beat of silence. Then the guy starts cracking up, just as his co-worker does. The girl sports a smirk on her face. She glances at Baekhyun, who is glaring at her.

“What?”

“Did you just call me trash?” Then he hisses under his breath, “In public?”

“Okay!” Chanyeol butts in between the couple and beams at the menu board, hoping to stop a fight from breaking out (even if it is a meaningless fight, it still is quite embarrassing). “What shall I have?” He mutters, tapping his chin.

The girl next to him leans back a little to glare at her husband from behind Chanyeol. “Yeah, I did.”

Baekhyun’s eye twitches. “You…”

“Miss, here is your ice cream.”

“,” Baekhyun growls, his lips tilting in a sneer.

A long moment of silence stretches on. Nobody around the two of them are speaking and the ice cream in the cup is already melting. The server glances awkwardly at Chanyeol, who looks defeated. But the guy would never have expected it when Baekhyun breaks into smirk.

“Too bad you’re married to me,” he cackles evilly. “Does that make you a Trash Hoarder?”

Then he grabs the cup of ice cream from the man behind the counter and turns around, already digging his spoon into the ice cream. Without even a glance at Chanyeol or the server, the girl follows after her husband almost enthusiastically. Chanyeol shares a look with the worker and sighs pathetically.

“I’ll pay for them.”

 

 

She is wearing a dark beige, body-hugging dress that really shows off her cleavage. Even though guys are trying hard not to make it seem so obvious, she knows that they're staring at her assets. She feels disgusted, but she pushes the disgust to the back of her mind when she sees a piece of paper that reads Actor Byun Baekhyun stuck on a dressing room door. She knocks on the door before pushing the door open.

Baekhyun is sitting on the chair, having his hair and make-up done by several girls. And then there is his manager sitting at the couch behind them. He glances up at the newcomer and when he sees that it's her, he nods and smiles at her. She greets him. At the sound of her voice, Baekhyun opens his eyes. His eyes run up and down her body for a moment before stopping at her cleavage. He frowns, eyebrows drawing together, lips scrunching up like he has eaten something sour.

“Nervous?” she asks, coming closer. She doesn't get too close though, knowing the stylists have to do their jobs.

“About what? Guys drooling over my wife’s s? If so, then yes,” Baekhyun grumbles, looking quite upset.

She purses her lips when she hears the girls snigger. Still, she clucks her tongue. “That's cocky of you, Baekhyun. Not feeling a bit of nervousness even before the start of your biggest play as the main lead?” She sighs dramatically and turns on her heels to walk over to where her husband has hung his leather jacket. “What a cocky bastard,” she mutters loud enough for Baekhyun to hear.

“What's new, tell me,” he says back, rolling his eyes before closing them again for his make-up artist to continue getting him ready for tonight’s musical.

Tonight would be the first ever musical where Baekhyun will play as the main lead. He has done quite a few of main leads before, but this time, it’s different. Because this would be the first time ever that he is playing the main role in a worldwide known musical. It is just as exciting for him as it is for her. Because even though she has to live alone for the next three months while her husband goes on tour, she is happy to see him doing what he loves while travelling the world.

Baekhyun peeks an eye open just in time to see his girl slipping on his leather jacket, pulling it over her chest to make sure that her assets are covered up well. A soft smile takes over his features as he shuts his eyes again, leaning back in his chair. It takes a while but when Baekhyun is all done up and pretty, the girls store their tools and leave the room. Baekhyun's manager do so as well, claiming that he needs to buy a coffee. At 7:25PM. But no one is judging.

“Ew, you look like a girl,” is the first thing she says when Baekhyun turns around and walks over to the couch to sit next to her.

“Don't be jealous just because I make a prettier girl than you do,” he smirks obnoxiously at her.

“Right, I’m sure that’s what every other man thinks as well,” she mutters, rolling her eyes. “Maybe that's why they were staring so much when I was making my way here.”

Baekhyun scowls at that, which makes her grin, knowing that she has won the verbal fight, though dirtily. She shifts herself on the couch and sits now facing her husband. Her leg that is crossed over the other is resting on his knee and her arm is resting on his shoulder. She puts her chin on her hand and stares at his profile.

“How do you feel?” she murmurs, her voice and expression free from all teasing.

Baekhyun moves a little, going closer to her. “Nervous. And sad.”

“Why sad?” she frowns.

“Because this means the start of this musical tour,” he sighs.

Her heart thumps loudly in her chest when he reaches out to curl the loose tendril of hair she left out on purpose behind her ear. Baekhyun’s lips jut out a little in a pout. He cups her jaw and runs his thumb over her skin affectionately.

“And that means I have to leave you behind for three months,” he says softly.

“At least you’re earning tons of money,” his girl mumbles, trying to lighten up the mood.

Baekhyun lifts his gaze from her lips to stare into her eyes. “I’m going to miss you.” And as if he cannot forget this important part, he adds, “And your stupidity.”

She snorts, smacking his shoulder. “Well, I’m not going to miss you.”

He is distracted by a peek of her cleavage. He hums as he pushes the jacket slightly open to have a better look. “Why not?” he mutters distractedly.

“Because you're a ert.” Just to annoy her, Baekhyun grins and lifts his hand to caress and squeeze her mound. She groans and smacks his stomach with the back of her hand. “Exactly my point.”

Baekhyun laughs and stops fooling around. “On a more serious note?”

“That is a serious note, Baekhyun,” she rolls her eyes. Yet he only stares at her with an expectant look, not at all fazed by her comment. She lets out a breath and melts into her husband’s body, now already half sitting and resting on top of him. “Because if I miss you, that means I’m going to suffer without you here. And I don't want to suffer.”

“I don't want you to suffer either. But I do want you to miss me.”

“But I don't want to cry from time to time just because I am missing you for three months,” she grumbles, playing with the button of his shirt.

“Weren’t you always excited to have a break from me?” Baekhyun chuckles, rounding his arm around her waist and carrying her to sit on his lap.

“Yes, but not for so long.”

He laughs when her lips naturally forms a pout. She can be so cute when she isn't being mean. He slips his hand under his jacket and caresses the side of her body. He keeps cupping and touching her underboob though, enjoying the feel of his beautiful wife’s body.

“I’ve asked many times already, but maybe the seventh time might be a charm… Come with me,” Baekhyun murmurs, dipping his head to brush his lips over her neck.

She smiles sadly. “I want to, Baekhyun. But I don't want to have to quit my job…”

He sighs. “What about holidays?” He looks up at her. “I’ll be in the U.S. on the day of our fourth anniversary.”

“How long will you be there for?”

“Two weeks.”

“I’ll be there.”

“For two weeks?” She grins and bobs her head. Baekhyun breaks out into a wide smile, hugging her closer. “That will be the only thing I’ll be looking forward to the entire time away from you,” he mutters before kissing her on the lips.

She smiles against the kiss and slips her hand around his nape. Baekhyun moans in satisfaction when she leans forward and presses her chest to his. He slides his hand down her body and caresses her thigh. He is already inching his hand up under her dress when the door opens.

“Seven minutes to…”

The girl pulls back from the kiss to take a look at the intruder, who is the producer wearing a headset, making his rounds to get his actors on standby. He glances at Baekhyun’s hand resting on the girl’s thigh and blinks, especially when Baekhyun slips his hand under the hem of her dress just to throw the producer off. His wife clucks her tongue and slaps his hand away.

“S-Seven minutes to showtime,” the producer quickly announces before anxiously shutting the door.

Baekhyun only laughs at his flustered state. The girl shakes her head and stands from her husband’s lap, smoothing out her dress. Baekhyun lifts his head to watch her fix her outfit, his bottom lip between his teeth as he enjoys the view from down there.

“Good luck,” she mumbles when she is done, bending down to peck him on the lips.

“Thanks. Come find me after the show?”

“Obviously,” she rolls her eyes at him.

He grins and stands up as well. Together, the both of them leave the dressing room and she walks him to where the team is going to have their final briefing and cheer. They stop a few feet away from the others.

“Don't let me down, Actor Byun Baekhyun,” she mutters, poking his chest playfully. “I took half the day off just for this.”

He blows a raspberry and brings her in close. “And please don't get too wet and flood the theatre.” She rolls her eyes and pushes him away roughly. He laughs loudly and pulls her back by the wrist. She is scowling. “I really hope you enjoy the show, baby,” Baekhyun murmurs, kissing her softly. “And the flowers.”

“What flowers?” she mumbles against his lips before pulling back to frown at him.

“Byun Baekhyun!”

He makes a face and holds up a hand to let his crew know that he is coming. “You’ll see.”

She nods, giving him one last peck on the cheek and a pat on his chest. “Be confident. I know you’ll do well.”

He winks at her as she takes a step back. She gives him a beautiful smile, though a fleeting one. Then she turns around and walks away. He is staring at his beautiful wife walking away and his heart starts to thump with anxiety. He felt much better when she was with him.

But still, he finds himself shouting out to her, “Don't get jealous when you see me kissing another girl!”

“Don't get jealous when you see me kissing the guy next to me in the audience too, Baek!” she shouts back without even having to turn her head.

He hears sniggers behind him and it only makes the grin on his lips grow wider. He knows she won't be jealous since he has kissed many of his co-workers before for countless of musicals and though she was admittedly jealous the first time, she has learnt to trust Baekhyun. And Baekhyun knows she definitely won't be kissing any guy next to her. Not when he personally asked for his wife to be sat between two women. Joke’s on her.

With a short two-minute briefing and a loud cheer, the actors take their places in the first scene. Baekhyun’s heart drums loudly against his ribcage as he hears the total silence beyond the curtains. Slowly, the curtains are reeled open and Baekhyun already has his eyes set on a spot in the audience. The lights are cued and now he clearly sees his wife, beaming at him, a beautiful bouquet of flowers in her hands.

Thank you,” she mouths to him, smile wide and lovely.

A small smile creeps onto his lips and he turns away quickly, channeling the newfound confidence into his first big play.

 

 

Baekhyun frowns when he sees that he has an incoming call from his wife. It has to be way past midnight now in Korea. She should be asleep. He lowers the speed on his treadmill. Not wanting her to wait, he quickly fixes his earbuds and answers the call without even catching his breath first.

“Baekhyun?” she breathes quietly.

He grunts. “Why aren’t you sleeping?” he asks breathlessly as he heaves for air.

A long sigh tumbles out of . She rolls over to his side of the bed that is already starting to smell like her and no longer like her husband.

“I just miss you,” she mumbles, not wanting to say it out loud.

Not because she doesn’t want to sound needy, but because she doesn’t want the loneliness to be real. Maybe, just maybe, if she doesn’t say it aloud, she might be just be able to lie to herself.

Baekhyun’s heart swells. He stares at the duration on the treadmill. 31:42. It is almost 15 minutes shorter than the usual time he takes for runs. But he thinks he might just be able to give himself some slack today when he has been working out so hard everyday anyway. (Now that he has nothing to do with his free time since he doesn’t have his girl with him, he spends his time in the gym.)

He doesn’t say anything in response to her confession, however. He grabs his water bottle and hotel key before getting down the treadmill.

“Are you in the middle of a workout?” He grunts in reply. “I’ll call you back later, then—”

“No, no,” Baekhyun sputters anxiously, not wanting her to hang up yet. Even though he is still panting and catching his breath, he tells her, “I’m already done. Going up to my room now.”

She smiles softly, knowing he’s only finished so he could talk to her. “Had a good workout?”

“The best,” he mutters monotonously, making her laugh. His lips quirk at the sound. Then she sighs again, though this time a soft one. There is a moment of silence before Baekhyun speaks while waiting for the lift. “How has work been?”

“Tiring,” she mutters, sounding just as exhausted. “I’ve been getting as much work done as I can before the trip.”

“Send me some of your work and I’ll help you.”

She snorts. “You? Baekhyun, you can’t even do simple 2+2 math.”

He blows a raspberry in the phone, a grin on his lips. “Well, don’t say I didn’t offer to help as a husband.”

The elevator arrives and the doors open to let some people out. He steps into the lift with a few others waiting in the lobby and presses for his level. He is about to continue speaking when the line disconnects as the box ascends. He frowns and stares at his phone before sighing and putting it down for a while. Sensing a gaze on him, he discreetly tries to glance at the corner of his eye. Two Korean girls are huddled together, their eyes running up and down his body, obviously checking him out. Feeling a little violated and very uncomfortable, he keeps his eyes trained on the numbers on the digital screen, watching it increase.

Luckily for him, the two girls get down on the 14th floor. A few people get down before him and he finally leaves for his room on the 21st floor. The moment he is out of the lift, he calls his girl again, who answers right away.

“That was a long ride,” is the first thing she says when the line connects.

Baekhyun is sometimes amazed at how she knows stuff without even him saying it. He didn’t even have to tell her that he was in a lift for her to know that he hadn’t hang up on her on purpose. It could be due to the several times before this wherein their call had been cut off due to the bad reception in the elevator. Or it could be due to the fact that she heard him getting on the lift. Whatever it is, Baekhyun is always grateful. Because he knows that he has found his soulmate because she has to be the only one for him. And he is a lucky, lucky man.

“I know,” he groans. “I got allocated to one of the highest floors among the crew. The view is nice and all, but it takes longer to go back after a long day.”

She hums. “It’s okay. Today is only your second day there, isn’t it? Five more days and you’ll be out of there.”

“And eight more days until I see your pretty face,” he murmurs. He really can’t wait until then, and neither can she. Baekhyun pushes open the door to his room as he tells her, “Also, even though you’re working hard for the trip, don’t overwork yourself, okay?”

“I won’t,” she promises. “Now that you’re not here, I actually have the freezer stocked with tubs of cookies and cream ice cream.”

Baekhyun throws his belongings on the desk and sits on the window couch, looking out at the city. He gasps dramatically, “You would!” She giggles. He smiles to himself. “Will Byun Baekhyun be met with a tremendously obese wife on the 28th of June? Stay tuned,” he says in his most TV host-like voice. “To find out.”

She laughs, burying her face into his pillow. She really misses him so much. He may be an to her sometimes, but he is her . She knows it is another week before meeting him again, but that is seven days too long. He calls her every day no matter how tired he is and sometimes, they talk until they fall asleep, too exhausted to stay awake any longer. And though she hears his voice and his quips all the time, she still misses his being, his presence.

And before she can even stop herself, she finds herself crying.

In the next few moments of seconds, Baekhyun notices something is wrong. He doesn’t know how to explain it, but it is innate whenever it comes to feeling the emotions of his girl. Whether she is happy, pissed off, sad, he just knows.

“Baby,” he murmurs, frowning. She inhales in a long, shaky breath, not wanting to be too obvious about her crying. But he knows. Baekhyun always knows. “Shh, baby… Why are you crying? Did something happen that I need to know about?”

“No,” she answers shakily.

“Then what is it?” he asks anxiously when he hears her sobbing. “Stop making me worry, sweetheart. I swear I’ll fly over right now if—”

“I just,” she answers quickly, not wanting to burden him anymore. She swallows. “I really, really, really miss you, Baekhyun. It’s only been a month and I’m already missing you like crazy. What will happen the next two months after our anniversary trip?”

His heart aches. Baekhyun may not be as verbal as she is in voicing out his emotions, but he does miss her too. So, so much. And he really wishes for her to be with him here, and every step of the way for the next two months.

“And I don’t want you to end up leaving this play because I know how much you wanted this,” she continues. She pauses for a while, just sniffling and wiping her tears. As if knowing that she is thinking, Baekhyun doesn’t say anything else. She asks in a small voice, “Do you think I can find a job where I can work from home? Or overseas?”

Baekhyun probably isn’t breathing. Is she actually thinking of quitting her job just to be with him? He doesn’t want to be selfish, and she is, quite honestly, earning quite a lot from her current job. It would be too much of a shame if she has to quit, just to follow her husband around the world.

“You really shouldn’t quit just for me, baby,” Baekhyun says softly.

“I’m not,” she mutters. “What, do you think I’m thinking of quitting just for you?” The corners of his lips turn up in a small smile. She can still be so feisty when she’s crying. “I’m doing it for myself too,” she tells him. A beat of silence. “I’ve been feeling so… depressed lately, you don’t even know, Baek… I need to be with you.”

Baekhyun can’t possibly be considerate now.

“I’ll change your plane ticket, get here tomorrow, and we’ll talk.”

She stops breathing. “And I quit my job?” she whispers, knowing that she would do it once her husband gives her the green light.

“Yes.”

 

 

Baekhyun’s heart is thumping. Every time a person leaves the Departure Hall, he hopes that it is his wife. It takes him almost half an hour of fidgeting and tipping of toes when the love of his life finally comes to view. The moment their eyes meet, their lips stretch into the widest of smiles. Baekhyun waits for her at the end of the line of people waiting for their relatives or friends.

The moment she reaches him, she leaves the cart and rushes into her husband’s arms, burying her face into his armpit. Baekhyun holds her close, his hand on the small of her back, his other hand on the back of her head, his nose nuzzled into her hair. She lifts her head only after a long minute. They share their first kiss in a what feels like forever. Then Baekhyun begins pushing the cart with his girl attached to his arm, her nose pressed to his shoulder.

“I see the ice cream actually had an effect on you,” Baekhyun says playfully while they wait for a cab, sliding his hand to her and squeezing her bosom.

She rolls her eyes. “And I see that you have been lying about going to the gym.”

He chuckles, too good of a mood to be any meaner to her. He pulls her away from his arm and takes a good look at her. He frowns. “Seriously, baby. What did I tell you about overworking?”

“What?” she mumbles guiltily, looking down.

“Look at these things,” he clucks his tongue as he traces the bags underneath her eyes. Then he takes her chin gently and turns her head side to side. “How much weight have you lost?”

“I haven’t—”

She chokes on her words when he publicly caresses her body, touching her a little too sensually. He feels the body he worships to, the body that he loves. The body that no longer feels the same. His heart hurts. And she can tell that he is worried and concerned from the upset frown on his face.

“Two kilos—”

Two?!” Baekhyun screeches, eyeballs almost popping out of their sockets. He hurriedly pushes the cart forward before turning to her again. “This is not healthy, woman. You don’t look healthy.” He tilts his head and looks at her in contemplation again. “Actually. Have you been doing drugs? You look so gaunt that I swear you’re doing coke.”

“Baekhyun!” she grumbles, smacking his arm.

“Seriously though,” he mutters, pushing the cart again. They’re now second in line. “Two kilos is a lot of weight, honey. What were you doing everyday?”

“Go to work, meet up with my best friend, miss you, cry a little, go for walks,” she shrugs. “Nothing special.”

Baekhyun stares at her for a long time. So long that they are already watching the cab driver lug her baggage into the trunk. Baekhyun opens the door and lets his wife in first. Then he slides in next to her, telling the cab driver the address of his hotel.

“We’ll put down your luggage,” he says to her when she has found a comfortable position, which is resting her head on his shoulder, her face in the crook of his neck, his arm around her. “Then go out for lunch.”

“But I just had airplane food.”

“Do people these days call that food?” Baekhyun wonders to himself obnoxiously. His wife groans, making him laugh. “Doesn’t matter if you’ve already had food. I’m going to make you gain that two kilos back again.”

“My colleagues— ex-colleagues told me I’ve gotten prettier.”

Baekhyun actually gives her a horrified look. “Honey,” he stares at her blankly. “Have you seen yourself?”

“Oh, how I missed you, Baekhyun,” she says blandly, her eyes rolling to the back of her head in exasperation though her body melts into her husband’s warmth.

Yes, how she missed him.

 

 
 

Author's note:

It’s done now T___T I can’t… They’re probably the cutest couple I have ever written and I’m so sad that this has finished. But I also know for sure that I can’t keep dragging it any longer. So I hope you guys enjoyed this while it lasted. Thank you all for the support! I really, really, appreciated it. Thank you. <3

xoxo