(Part 4) Kang Mo Yeon and Team Alpha

Descendants of The Sun Snippets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kang Mo Yeon and Team Alpha (Part 4)

While Mo Yeon was still trapped under the ruins and Si Jin was on his way to Urk, the situation outside the hospital was not really good either. All of the patients, the doctors and the nurses were able to get out, leaving only Mo Yeon and Sergeant Choi who were needed to be saved. Joon Ha already arrived with the rest of Team Alpha along with a few soldiers and their equipments to begin the rescue mission while emergency tents were build for the patients. Dr. Song who had seen Mo Yeon on the ground floor before the stairs were collapsed shared the information to Joon Ha.

“You were saying Dr. Kang and Sergeant Choi probably on the ground floor?” The Captain asked the senior doctor.

Dr. Song nodded. “I saw them before the stairs collapsed. Maybe you can start to search the exact location.”

The Captain nodded in agreement. “We will do that.” He turned to Sergeant Seo, Sergeant Gong and Sergeant Im. “Let’s do this.”

The four members of Team Alpha began to walk on the ruins of the hospital, carefully to step for avoiding any collapsed structures.

“Major Yoo knows about this?” Sergeant Gong asked.

Joon Ha nodded. “The Commander told me he already on his way with Team Bravo and Charlie for the rescue mission. He also bring medical team from the base.”

“Let’s just hope we can find Dr. Kang and Sergeant Choi soon. I can’t imagine how Major Yoo feels right now,” Sergeant Im piped in.

Dae-young looked over the collapsed building and started to shout, “Dr. Kang! Sergeant Choi!” And then, he looked over at his fellow team members. “Can we use the walkie talkie from here?”

Joon Ha took his walkie. “Eagle to Snoopy. Can you hear me? Over!”

No answer, only a buzz voice.

“Damn! It’s not working,” Joon Ha took a deep breath. “We split up. Be careful.”

“Yes, sir,” they said in union.

Under the ruins, Mo Yeon checked her watch and realized they already trapped for almost three hours. She glanced at Sergent Choi and began to worry. The soldier was begin to sweat and she bit her lip when she saw Sergeant Choi’s wound. Just like she predicted, the wound started to turn blue, the sign it was begin to get infected.

“How do you feel?” Mo Yeon asked.

Sergeant Choi only smiled grimly. “My wound stings a lot.” He looked at the doctor. “Do you know why, Doctor?”

Mo Yeon only took a deep breath.

Watching Mo Yeon’s expression, Sergent Choi only chuckled bitterly. “That bad, huh?”

“It’s not. You’re not going to die because of it.”

“It’s strange, isn’t it? I deal with bombs and cheating with death several times and now here I am, get wounded because of an earthquake.”

Mo Yeon checked Sergeant Choi’s wound. “You guys talk about death just like women gossip about their boyfriends.”

The Sergeant laughed lightly before coughing and took a deep breath. “You begin to sound like Major Yoo, Doctor.”

It was that moment when Mo Yeon heard a voice.

“Dr. Kang! Sergeant Choi!”

Mo Yeon’s head turned sharply and with limping leg tried to look over the holes of the ruins. She could see a soldier not very far from her spot. “Someone’s here,” she said without looking at Sergeant Choi. With all her strength, she shouted, “Over here!!”

Sergeant Gong who was walking around the ruins, heard Mo Yeon’s voice and his head looked around before he could see Mo Yeon from the small hole of the ruins. He quickly ran, trying very hard not to trip.

“Dr. Kang?”

Mo Yeon breathed the sigh of relief when she could see it was Sergeant Gong. “Yes, it’s me. Is medical team with you? I need antibiotics and painkiller. Sergeant Choi is hurt.”

“Yes, Ma’am!” And then, he looked over at the others. “I found them, sir!”

The rest of Team Alpha quickly went to Sergeant Gong’s spot and Joon Ha peeked over the hole. “Dr. Kang? Are you alright?”

Mo Yeon who already assisted Sergeant Choi’s wound answered, “I’m fine, but Sergeant Choi is not. Please, antibiotics and painkiller. I need them.”

The Captain turned to the rest of the team. “Mark this area. We need to find a way to get them both out of there. Sergeant Im, call the medical team.”

“Yes, sir,” they replied.

Moments later, Dr. Song and Nurse Ha came along with Sergeant Im. They brought medical equipments with them. Mo Yeon instructed them for the dosage of painkiller and antibiotics. From the small hole, Dr. Song gave Mo Yeon two syringes and without any difficulties, Mo Yeon injected the medicines to Sergeant Choi. She breathed the sigh of relief when she saw the soldier looked calm and his breathing turned into normal.

“Mo Yeon, are you okay there?” Dr. Song asked in concern.

Mo Yeon nodded and leaned her head on the wall. “Yeah. Please, tell the team if they want to rescue us, they need to hurry. I don’t think we can hold on for another day here.”

Dr. Song nodded nervously and turned his head to Joon Ha who already stood next to him. The Captain signaled the doctor to come with him.

“We need to move the ruins. They both trapped on the ground floor which means the other materials from the second and third floor are over their heads. If we can’t move them, we need to find a way under the ruins,” Joon Ha said in low voice to both nurse and doctor.

“And you better hurry, Captain,” Nurse Ha said. “They begin to need oxygen down there,” she went on when she saw the Captain’s expression.

“Does Major Yoo know?” Dr. Song asked.

Joon Ha nodded. “He’s on his way. He will be arrive at nightfall.” And then, he leaned closer. “Do you think they can hold on a bit longer?”

“I can give them IV, but we still need to get them out of there,” the senior doctor said again.

“You deal with the IV while we deal with the rescue mission.”

“Yes, sir,” Dr. Song said and gave the Captain a salute.

Mo Yeon blinked drowsily. The lack of oxygen and hunger started to effect her. Slowly, she looked over at Sergeant Choi and noticed he was sleeping. The doctor checked her watch and learned four hours had passed since Team Alpha found them. Dr. Song gave her and Sergeant Choi an IV and she glanced on the IV bags. She calculated the bags would be empty for the next two hours. She could hear the people tried to remove the ruins over her head so both she and the soldier could get out. During the four hours sometimes she coughed from the dust and had to close her eyes. Even though she was beginning to feel weak, Sergeant Choi was her concern. Mo Yeon glanced at his wound and hoped they could get out soon. Painkiller and antibiotics only worked temporarily. The soldier needed proper medical treatment. The doctor closed her eyes and before she surrendered from the sleepiness, her thoughts drifted to Si Jin.

Meanhile, outside the ruins, Joon Ha and his team along with other soldiers worked so hard to remove the ruins. Sometimes he peeked over the holes to see whether Mo Yeon or Sergeant Choi were alright. He began to panic when he saw the two of them didn’t reply his call. Dr. Song quickly went to his spot and watched Mo Yeon along with the soldier closely.

“They only sleeping,” the doctor said.

Joon Ha blew a long breath.

“The IV is still working, that means they are still alive,” he went on and then, looked at the Captain. “How much time longer?”

“The ruins are quite heavy,” the Captain answered. “This is different from the previous rescue mission in Mowuru based on what my team had told me. I can’t make sure. Perhaps three more hours.”

Dr. Song nodded and looked again at his colleague. “Aside from the lack of oxygen, they also feel hungry. That’s why they are so weak. The IV only sustains temporarily. Call me for the next two hours. Their bags will be empty.”

Joon Ha nodded. “I will.”

Dr. Song returned to his tent and met with Nurse Ha, Chi Hun, and Nurse Choi. The latters came into the hospital after being fetched by Dae-young to help the medical team.

“How is it?” Chi Hun asked.

“They are still trying to get Mo Yeon and the soldier out of there. For this moment, both of them are sleeping. I asked Captain Lee to call me for the next two hours to refill the IV.”

Nurse Choi looked over at the marked ruins and the soldiers who tried to rescue Dr. Kang. She clasped her hands in worry. “And she is about to get married.”

Dr. Song rolled his eyes. “Aigoo...you can say weird things in the time like this. Speaking about married, Major Yoo will be here soon. So, don’t worry.”

Meanwhile on the C-17, Si Jin only sat in silence. His heart was nagging with worry. It had been hours and he might not learn about medical stuff, but he knew how long a human could survive being trapped under the ruins.

“I’m not going to war.”

Dr. Kang’s words were ringing in his mind.

No, she was not going to war.

This time it was his battle to keep her alive.

Because that was what they do.

Keeping each other alive an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter