Across the Lake

Across the Lake

{ Across the Lake }


 

The only thing separating them was the lake. It was wide, long, and deep. On one side was a dense forest, thick with trees some yellowing for the fast approaching autumn. On the other side was a town filled with houses and people and livestock that they owned. The only thing keeping them safe was the lake. If the being the forest ever found a way across the lake then it was surely their doom. The things that dwelled in the forest were people who took forms of various creatures. The people believed it was an illness and therefore they are staying as far from them as possible. One boy, named Kibum, loved to play by the lake. He liked to collect small rocks and other eye catching items that washed up on the lake’s edge. On the other side, another boy named Jonghyun, one of the changelings as the humans referred to them, liked to wander around the lake’s edges. The two would be around the lake at about the same time of day. At first, they avoided each other, one afraid to interact with the creature and one not paying attention. Then one day the human boy noticed that the creature on the other side of the lake was whimpering, he looked hurt and needed medical attention. Kibum had never seen so much hurt and pain in one being. He wanted to do something. He ran to his small house and grabbed a small boat, it was one of his favorite toys it had a large deck so Kibum put some medical supplies. He also, wrote a small note. When he returned to the lake, the creature was still there trying not to move so it won’t make its injuries worse. As quietly as he could, Kibum placed the boat into the lake and gave it a firm, but light push. Kibum watched the boat come in contact with the creature on the other side. He seemed puzzled at first and then he looked up, and their eyes met.

 

Nothing was exchanged, no movement was made, the two just stood, glued in place as if memorizing each other. The creature broke the contact first, picking up the boat and taking out the note. Kibum held his breath, wondering if the creature would not like the fact that he did this. However, the creature looked up and his hard eyes softened and he smiled a small smile. He took the boat and began to tend to his injuries. Kibum smiled, this was the first time that anyone had made contact with a changeling from the other side of the lake before. Kibum released a breath of relief. He was happy that the creature accepted his aid. The creature didn’t seem to be dangerous, in fact it seemed to be the complete opposite.

 

A voice called for Kibum from afar. This made both Kibum and the creature from across the lake look towards the voice, Kibum’s father. The human stood up and looked at the creature who was curious. Kibum waved to the creature and smiled. The creature repeated the gesture and saw the human off before continuing to tend to his injuries.

 

The next day, Kibum went straight to the lake. He was excited and nervous at the same time. When he arrived he noticed that the creature was already there. He had the boat in his hands. It looked like there was a note on the boat. Kibum got to the edge of the lake and began to look at the rocks that had washed up on shore. Then a boat came into view, it was his boat. Kibum lifted his head to see Jonghyun giving him a soft, thankful smile. Kibum smiled back and took the boat. He took the note and smiled even more, he may have possibly found a friend to talk to.

 

As the years passed, the boys grew and so did their secret friendship. Jonghyun found himself wishing to be able to swim across and touch Kibum, to hug him, to feel his hair, to hear him laugh, to talk to him. Even though those were his wishes he had to suppress them, knowing full well that he was not allowed on the other side of the lake. He wasn’t sure why, but he didn’t care as long as this friendship could last, he would be happy. The two always met and sent messages to each other on Kibum’s toy boat. Jonghyun found out that Kibum was not liked by his classmates at his new school and that made Jonghyun worry and angry. No matter how many times Kibum reassured him otherwise, Jonghyun couldn’t stand it.

 

It was a few weeks after their encounter that the incident happened. Jonghyun was roaming the forest when a voice echoed. His highly sensitive ears perked up and he looked around, there was no one around. The nearest place was the lake, but Jonghyun knew that Kibum was at school, or at least that’s where he should be. A gut feeling made Jonghyun rush to the lake, he was silently hoping that he was just imagining, but when he came to the clearing. On the other side of the lake, he saw Kibum being pushed into the lake by some strangers who wore the same uniform as he did. Jonghyun began barking, trying to get their attention and hopefully scare the other boys. The other boys were frightened, but offered one last attempt and they pushed Kibum underwater before running off. Jonghyun jumped in and swam under water. He was now in his human form swimming as fast as he could to catch up to Kibum.

 

When they broke the water’s surface, Kibum was unconscious. Jonghyun didn’t know what to do, he couldn’t just leave him, but at the same time he couldn’t bring him up to his side. He had to get out of the water before they both got sick. Jonghyun instinctively swam to his side of the lake and placed Kibum down on the ground. He pumped as much water out of Kibum as he could before the younger started coughing and regaining consciousness. It was then that they were able to see each other so close, within arms reach.

 

“Y-you saved my life…” Kibum uttered. Jonghyun helped Kibum sit up before nodding his head. Kibum smiled.

“Thank you, Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun returned the smile, “I’m glad you’re alright, Kibum.”