.2.

how to find a boyfriend in five days

It’s just a date.  Just a date.  Choi Youngjae, you’re brave, you’re confident, you’re cute, and you can do this.

Youngjae set his head down on the cold table in front of him, trying to wrap his mind around the fact that he was waiting for Jackson Wang, who had amazingly agreed to meet him for coffee despite him being way out of his league.

Every time the door opened Youngjae felt his heart beating straight out of his chest, contemplating whether he should duck under the table or make a run for it.

He almost knocked over the napkin holder in front of him when he heard someone call his name, then realizing it was just the barista calling his name to get his drink.

Youngjae got up and went to the counter only to have his drink snatched right before he could grab it himself.

“Ah, hot chocolate for Youngjae was it?  Choi Youngjae?” 

Youngjae turned and was met by forehead.  Huh. He lowered his gaze a bit and gulped.  Jackson Wang.  He didn’t expect him to be shorter.  Youngjae was frozen, unsure how to react.  What were words and how did they form sentences again…?

“Hello?  Earth to Youngjae?”  Jackson picked up his hand and gently placed his drink in it.  “I believe you’re my date.”

“Oh,”   Youngjae could already feel himself perspiring through his clothes.   “Jackson Wang?”

“That’s my name!  Don’t wear it out.”  Jackson gave him a wink and Youngjae was still in awe a man so beautiful could even exist.  He turned to the front and called over the barista.  “Can I get a large green tea?”

Jackson and Youngjae waited for his drink in awkward silence and then headed back to Youngjae’s table where it was even more uncomfortable.

“So… I’m guessing you don’t go on many dates?”  Jackson took the lid off his tea and blew the top to cool it down.

Great, was it that obvious? “Sorry, I’m not good with strangers.”  Youngjae was just about ready to leave.  Jackson was still smiling but he was sure that inside he was probably wondering what was wrong with him.

“That’s alright; I’ve often been told talking a lot is one of my greatest talents!”  Jackson gestured with his arms so dramatically as he spoke Youngjae felt the need to dodge out of the way because he was afraid his arms were going to hit him.  “What made you want to try online dating?”

“I- uh.”  Youngjae stumbled over his words and Jackson frowned.

“Hey, are you okay?  Am I making you uncomfortable?”

“No!   I just…”  Youngjae sighed.  “This was a mistake.”  Youngjae got up to leave but Jackson grabbed his arm.

“Where are you going?!”  Jackson looked concerned.  “Did I do something wrong?”

“No!  This is my fault.  I’m not here for the right reasons.”  Youngjae tried to make him let go but his grasp was so firm he couldn’t even move his arm.

“Can you at least tell me what’s wrong?  I won’t be able to stop thinking about it otherwise.”  Jackson looked so sincere Youngjae couldn’t decline.

Youngjae sat back down and sighed.  “It’s not you, I just signed up for online dating because I told my parents that I’m dating someone and they asked to meet him next weekend-“

“So you’re trying to find a boyfriend in five days?” 

“I mean technically not-mpfghh!“  Youngjae was silenced by Jackson’s finger on his lips.

“Say no more, I think I can help you.”

“I-huh?”

“I, Jackson Wang, believe I can find you a boyfriend in five days.”

That was probably the last thing he would’ve expected Jackson to say.  “You want to find me a boyfriend?”

“See, I’m a nice guy, great with relationships-“

“But you were on a dating site?”

Jackson gave him a disapproving look.  “I’m single at the moment but I’ve been in tons of relationships-”

“And they all ended?”

“Listen, that’s not the point,” He tried desperately to change the subject.  “I’m very graciously offering my help to someone in need; you can either accept my help or leave.”

“Why do you think I need your help?”

“Well, obviously, there are places you’re lacking.”

Youngjae was taken aback.  “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I’m not saying you don’t have potential.  You’re cute and all but your personality needs some work from what I’ve observed and let’s be real, you can’t reach my level of coolness overnight.” 

The more time Youngjae spent with this guy the more he disliked him.  “You want me to be more like you?”

“In a sense, you obviously will never reach my level,” Conceited jerk. “But I think I can at least help you to the point where you can actually talk to your dates instead of struggling like a fish out of water.”

Youngjae had every right to get up and leave, but he couldn’t help but be intrigued by the offer.  “Why do you even want to help me?  I can’t offer you money or anything.”

“Can’t a guy help another guy out of the kindness of his heart?” 

“That’s not usually how it works.”  Youngjae answered, brutally honest.

“Please?  Trust me, I’ll find you a super cute boyfriend!  My services have a 0% failure rate!”  Jackson put his hands together and pleaded with him.

“Do you offer these services regularly?”

“Well… I guess officially you’re going to be my first client,” Youngjae rolled his eyes.  “You have to trust me!  How about a cute boyfriend in less than 24 hours then?  My guarantee, or heading back to the dating site and messaging strangers who you don’t know could be creeps, criminals, murderers…”

“Alright!”  Youngjae was mostly doing this just the get him to stop talking.  “You think you can find me a boyfriend by tomorrow?”

“Yes!  I know a guy, super cute, perfect for you!  Don’t you worry! Do you know the amusement park down the street?  Meet me at the front gate tomorrow at noon and I’ll set you up on the best date of your life.”

“This sounds dangerous…”

“Youngjae, if I was a murderer I’d call you to a back alley, not an amusement park,” Jackson held out his pinky finger to him.  “I just want to help you, trust me.”

He had no reason not to believe Jackson wasn’t a good guy.  He was still uneasy on being set up on blind dates, but the thought of having to go back to the dating site was even more frightening. 

He interlocked fingers with Jackson.

“Alright, this better work out.”