Kang Gary

For Running Man's Kang Gary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm leaving." Those two words were like a bomb dropped out of nowhere, smashing into the room and bringing all chatter to an abrupt stop. The members of Running Man gaped up at Gary as he racked up the courage to finally tell them. He'd been staring at the floor, but now he peeked up to face Sukjin, Jaesuk, Jongkook, Haha, and Kwangsoo. He didn't want to look at her. He wasn't sure what he would do if he looked at her- if he looked and saw the blank, unaffected yet pitying expression on her face that signified that he didn't matter to her during all these years, his heart would break into two.

Jaesuk spoke first. "You're being serious about this?"

He nodded. He'd talked this over with Gil, with his manager, with his parents and realized that it was for the best. He was getting old; he wasn't as strong as he'd been six years ago. His musical career needed work, and Running Man had been meant to be a short stint, a way to stretch his wings a little. He hadn't counted on becoming so attached. He hadn't counted on having fun, on sticking around so long even after he'd gained the popularity, on making friends, on being a comedian, almost. He most certainly hadn't counted on falling in love on a game show. But it had all happened, and now, as he was leaving, it took every ounce of his willpower not to burst out into laughter and call it a joke.

He had to go. Not just because of his music, but also because of her. Because it was too hard to be around someone who didn't love him back.

He gathered courage to finally gaze in her direction, but her head was down, as if she were looking at her cell phone; her hair falling forward to cover her face. His heart twinged a little, hurt. Was it so hard to pretend, just for a moment, like she cared? To look into his face and announce that she'd miss him, like the other members were doing, coming up to him to pat him on the back or give him a hug, wishing him well?

"I wish you didn't have to do this, but we respect your decisions," Jaesuk told him, shaking his hand. "Best of luck, and keep in touch."

"Yah, hyung, how could you not tell me?" Kwangsoo cried. He wrapped Gary into his long, spindly arms. "You'd better keep in touch. Don't even think about isolating yourself in your music cave."

Jongkook came over and joined in on the hug. "I'll drag you out of there if I have to. We're gonna miss you, you twerp."

"Aigoo, I can't believe you're leaving before an old man like me," Sukjin hyung said. He clapped Gary on the back. "Good luck man, and we'll miss you."

Haha was next, his face unreadable. Then he punched Gary in the chest, so hard that Gary stumbled back. "You're such a jerk." Then he gave Gary a bear hug. Gary smiled wistfully.

"Thanks, Donghoon-ah. I'll miss you too."

They all stepped back then, ready to let him go. Jaesuk looked towards Jihyo.

"Jihyo? Don't you want to say your well wishes?"

Jihyo looked up, a blank expression on her face. Gary's face fell.

"Oh. Um, oppa. Thanks for thes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter