space

Can't See the End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

word count: 2,717

A/N: You can also listen to Can't See The End as you're reading this + lines from the song are here and they're italicized.

 

I

Let's see. Lee Jihoon, of course, he loved to write music. Of course, he loved his job. It's his passion, a stress reliever, his best friend. But there are those days, where instead of composing; he would blank out, staring at the wall for what seemed like forever.

He started to do that. He also started to lose sleep, his appetite, and he felt empty inside.

It was hard for him, so hard to carry the responsibility his parents gave to him. He is the composer of the LL Entertainment, also a solo artist. It was so exhausting, to have to write music for debuting groups (and other groups) to use. At first it was fun, but we all know that too much of everything is bad.

When he began writing, it was a good start, the music he wrote flew well, and after a few hours his lyric composition will be done. The next thing he would do is start the arrangement and add vocals and effects, here and there. It was amazing.

That was before. Suddenly, the tables have turned. Now, he'd stay in the studio until after midnight, or even longer, because he had no idea what to write, because he wanted to avoid his parents asking "How's the song you've been working on?", and he didn't know exactly what to do.  No one knew about his situation. He never told anyone, nor gave a hint of it. He's breaking down. From the top, he's pulling himself to the bottom.

Truthfully, no, actually, it was really hard

At the thought that I suffered alone and that there was no one who could listen to my secret, it made me want to cry

This reality, it makes me want to cry.

 

II

 His father enters the studio where he sat in front of the piano. In his dad's eyes, his son did well to live up to his expectations. But in reality, Jihoon was banging his head and fingers on the keys, wanting to cry, ten minutes ago.

"You're doing well, Jihoon." the composer heard from his father, who he loved long ago. Now, he just felt empty. He felt like he's caged. He pressed the keys softly then successfully-and unexpectedly- made up a new melody.

"By the way, there's a new artist you're going to work with." his father remarked while he played the melody, then it caused him to press a wrong key. A wrong note. Just like how he felt, he felt like a note that was wrong for the melody, and therefore didn't belong there.

III

He still isn't finished on his compositions, but his father is already introducing him to a new project. How fun.

"This is Kim Mingyu," his father showed the tall figure, who wore a light blue collared, top and black slacks. His name didn't ring a bell to Jihoon. "He's a new solo artist."

"Pleasure to meet you," the taller bowed and reached out to shake Jihoon's hand. "Lee Jihoon."

The guy is kind, Jihoon thought. But more projects meant more stress, and he preferred to work alone. And he felt uncomfortable with the taller, since Mingyu is way taller than him, and somehow, yes, Jihoon felt uncomfortable at just the sight of the man.

 

 

IV

"Jihoon hyung," Mingyu enters the studio to the elder's surprise. The younger brought a paper bag and Jihoon smelled food coming from it. The composer hummed in response, clicking the mouse buttons as he edited the song on the computer screen.

"Here's food, please eat it." Mingyu hands over the bag to Jihoon and sat beside the older.

Jihoon opened the bag and saw a hamburger and soda inside. He unwrapped the food and took a bite, settling it on the table.

"Had you eaten?" Jihoon asked the younger, never looking away from the screen. He just wanted Mingyu to leave, so he'll be at peace.

"Yes, I had," Mingyu replied, looking at the screen Jihoon stared at. Damn it.

Jihoon just nodded, and then continued to pretend he's working.

Of course I act like nothing's wrong and why won't I be able to

 

V

Jihoon can't finish the song he's writing. He just can't. He is a perfectionist, and felt something missing on Mingyu's song.

"Mingyu, I can't finish it. Help me." Jihoon sent the voicemail to the younger. He didn't want to seem pitiful and weak, but he still asked for help. Maybe if Mingyu's song was done, he would disappear and his stress would decrease.

"Hm, let me hear it," Mingyu begged when the older refused again and again. He felt uncomfortable to let Mingyu hear the draft version of the song. He didn't know why.

"Please, you told me to help you, how can I help you if you won't let me hear it?"

"Then don't help me."

 

"I want to help you, hyung. You've been stuck here 24/7 and it scares me already. I'm worried about you." Mingyu pleaded, it was true. It's been four weeks he's working on the song, not emerging from the studio. He only went to the restroom to bathe and do his business, but apart from that, he hasn't returned home, or ate a proper meal and sleep. Not at all. The sleep he would get are small naps then he'd wake up, worrying and panicking about the song.

There, he pressed play and the music went to Mingyu's hearing. He listened wide-eyed, fascinated at the amazing sound.

"It's ama--" Mingyu commented but Jihoon cut him off.

"Listen first." Jihoon interrupted. Mingyu hasn't heard the song completely yet.

What Mingyu was supposed to say is true. It is amazing. The song is amazing. It made him want to cry for he helped Jihoon compose it.

"Oh god, it's amazing."  Mingyu sobbed slightly. His emotions were too much at the moment.

Jihoon didn't expect that Mingyu would cry, and just comforted the younger awkwardly.

"I don't think it is," Jihoon admitted as he rubbed circles on the younger's back.

Mingyu looked at him in disbelief, shocked.

"It is. I think they will love it."

 Jihoon just nodded at the statement, but still wasn't convinced.

Mingyu hugged him tightly, and then Jihoon groaned but was too lazy to escape. As Mingyu tried to stifle his hiccups, Jihoon passed out on his arms.

 

VI

Jihoon dreamt of space. He dreamt of anywhere else far away from the place where he felt stressed and tired. He wanted to go outside the planet, somewhere far away.

"He passed out from over exhaustion." Jihoon woke up hearing that statement, his eyes blurry and he blinked several times to remove the fuzziness. He was in a hospital room, and there Mingyu and his mother were, standing and listening to the doctor. They looked worried.

"Will he be okay?" Mingyu asked, not noticing the finally awake figure.

"Of course," the doctor nodded and glanced at Jihoon's direction. "He's finally awake."

Jihoon's moth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter