My Story

The Road to Becoming an Idol

Um... *cue awkward silence*

Hi.

This is... my story... I guess.

I'll introduce myself first.

I am a teenager, currently living in America. I don't like to give specific details about my age, name, and location. All you need to know is that the only way to get to LA or New York is through plane :/

I am Korean, but was born in America. I speak Korean pretty well, but am not as good at reading and writing...

When I was eight years old, I watched Kpop Star for the first time, when it came out. Of course, I'd heard kpop before because it was all my mom listened to, but I wasn't that interested in it. When  saw the people performing on stage, my dream was discovered.

I wanted to be a singer.

Ever since I was four, I'd participated in the talent shows at my church. So maybe it was obvious to everyone else that I wanted to become a singer. So pretty much the only person who didn't know was me. Until, of course, I watched Kpop Star.

I got into kpop in the fifth grade, when a friend of mine showed me some music videos. It took me a while, but I was hooked.  

Even before I knew what groups were in which company, I'd wanted to get into YG. I loved the style of the people he liked in Kpop Star, which told me that he was the kind of person I'd want to work under.

My first audition was the audition for Kpop Star 5. I didn't pass. I was disappointed, of course, but I guess I assumed that I would have tons of oppurtunities.

Boy, was I wrong.

Sooner or later, my determination to become an idol grew fiery and bright. I dreamed about standing on a stage, delivering emotions in the form of a song, a rap, or a dance. I began planning performances in my mind, imagining what would work with the songs on my playlist. I auditioned online, and it didn't take me long to realize that getting in that way would be close to impossible.

I went to Korea, during the summer, and auditioned several times with my cousin. He is a dancer, and was actually a trainee at some point. But he got kicked out, which :(

My dream for Kpop Star ended when I auditioned for the sixth season, and failed. Dun, dun, DUN. You would not believe the amount of tears I shed, and the amount of time I spent regretting my lackluster performance.

So now I'm trying to convice my mom to let me go to the LA audition. It isn't looking good so far.

Oh, yeah! My parents!

They hate it.

So.

Freaking.

Much.

 I understand their point of view. What parent in their right mind would encourage their child to audition to become a trainee, where he/or she would go to Korea and train for several years? Especially the fact that they could get kicked out at any moment, which would result in the loss of time that could've been spent working hard in school. What kind of mystifies me, though, is the fact that my mom is always wishing that my cousin would get accepted somewhere.

So... I don't know what to think.

But, I wish they would try to understand ME. The fact that the only place I will ever belong is on a stage, listening to the heavy bass of an instrumental. That I will only ever feel at home among other people who dress in hip-hop clothes that aren't labeled as weird, like how they are in where I live. Somewhere I can discuss my dreams and be understood. 

So... yup. That's pretty much me, in the shortest way I can put it. Trust me, that was short as . It would be a lot longer if I put everything in detail.

If you would like your story to be included, just PM me your story and the name you would like to be referred to as.

Thank you!