Catching Up

Challenge Accepted - Peniel

The soft padding of your feet across the tile kept you company on the way to your first class of the day. Rounding the corner to your class, your hand wrapped around the silver handle before you twisted the handle downwards before it unlocked and allowed you to pull it open. Stepping into the large auditorium, you let the door fall closed behind you while your eyes scanned the large room in search for an isolated section of seating. Allowing your feet to enter into the room slowly, you turned down a row of padded seats and moved into the middle of that section of seating.

Choosing a seat, you pulled down the seat and eased yourself down onto the padded chair. Adjusting your backpack from behind you to your front, you ped your backpack slowly allowing your eyes to scan the slowly filling lecture hall. Trying to find a familiar face of any sort, you glanced down and pulled out a spiral notebook and a pen from your backpack before settling your backpack down between your legs. Pulling up the small attached desk, you let it lay over your lap before you flipped through your spiral notebook to the next available page. Folding over the cover, you slowly wrote the date in the upper right hand corner then placed your pen atop the lined paper.

Pulling out your phone, you tried to fill the awkward loneliness of sitting alone while all of the other seats around you began to fill except the four or five seats on either side of you. Slowly taking a deep breath, you kept your eyes down on your phone as you tried to occupy yourself for a few minutes before class started.

“Is this seat taken?” A voice called, lifting your eyes from your phone your eyes rose quickly to the person that was standing before you.

“No” You shook your head lightly as a smile played on your lips, relieved to find a familiar face… finally.

“How was your summer, ______?” Your friend, Peniel, questioned as he slipped his backpack from his shoulder and eased himself down in the seat to your right.

“It was… interesting” You replied, a brighter smile pulling on your lips and a light giggle lining your last word.

“How so?” Peniel questioned with a chuckle, pulling out his spiral notebook and a pen.

“My job kept me on my toes and I had some medical issues over the summer” You let your voice trail off while his brown eyes looked up and over to you while worry coated over his beautiful brown orbs.

“Are you okay now?” Peniel probed quickly, his body turning towards you letting you have his full and undivided attention.

“Still recovering but I’m mostly healed” You told him with a gentle reassuring nod.

Peniel let out a relieved sigh, “I’m glad you are feeling better” He paused for a second or two, “If you ever miss class, just let me know and you can copy my notes. I wouldn’t want you to miss out if you aren’t feeling well.”

“Thank you for the offer, that is really sweet of yo-” You began to thank him before someone trotted down the row and cut you off.

“There you are!” The bright, cheery voice turned Peniel's’ head and lifted yours to the beautiful girl that slowly eased herself down into the seat just right of Peniel’s.

Her long perfect hair hit the middle of her back while her smaller figure was outfitted in cute black shorts that exposed her long legs and a soft pastel blue top slightly tucked into her shorts and black lace up wedges to complete the outfit. Moving your eyes from them, you picked up your lonely pen and played with it between your fingers as Peniel turned his shoulders square and looked over at the flawless lady next to him.

“Jenny, this is ________” Peniel introduced as you snapped your eyes back up and extended your hand to shake hers, yet she went with the cute wave, leaving your hand awkwardly extended from you. “_______, this is Jenny”

“Nice to meet you, Jenny” You greeted, slowly retracted your arm back to yourself.

“Totally!” Jenny flipped her hair as she leaned back into her seat, her friendly smile quickly fading from her lips.

Thankfully the teacher cleared and grabbed the classes attention to start the lesson. Slipping your phone into the small pocket in the back of your backpack, you tried to keep your eyes down on the professor yet the small whispers and the high pitched voice of Jenny slightly distracted you. Jotting down some notes from time to time, you saw Peniel lean over slightly and whispers something into her ear before she smiled and shook her head. Turning your head slightly towards their direction, your eyes glanced over at them and what they were doing.

Jenny crossed her legs at the knee and grabbed her light blue pen, leaning over against Peniel, she began to draw little hearts and flowers on the header of his paper. With Peniel trying to write notes following the professor’s lesson, and not watching her, she grabbed the top of his pen and pulled it from the top. Causing it to slip out of his hand, he turned to her as she playfully tapped it against her cheek.

“If you want it you are going to have to give me a kiss to get it” She whispered slightly loud enough for you to hear.

Moving your eyes back, you heard a soft sigh from Peniel before he tried to grab it out of her hold a few times. With Jenny moving too quickly for him and Peniel not wanting to cause a scene, he tried for a minute or two before giving in and leaning over, pressing his soft lips against her cheek. Fulfilling her word, Jenny returned his pen before she linked arms with him. Peniel quickly wrote down the points of emphasis that he missed while his pen was confiscated.

An arm slipped around his right arm as her head gently rested on his shoulder, checking on what they were doing with your eyes, you watched Peniel try to concentrate while the girl hung on his writing arm. Her fingers slowly brushed over his forearm as she tried to distract him from the notes he was writing.

“I need to focus on my notes right now” Peniel whispered to her as his hand continued to move across the page in haste.

“I want you to focus on me though” She pouted, her arm gently swinging his and in turn messing up his handwriting on his page of notes.

Rolling your eyes on how immature she is, you wondered how your friend of a couple of years could associate with her as well as tolerating her behavior. Meeting Peniel back in your freshman year of college, the two of you would happily go out with groups of friends to various events such as sports events, bowling night at the college and several others. With a few years on your friendship and getting pretty close with him, you would have never pictured him with a girl like her.

Hearing soft whisperings from them time to time, you continued to take notes through your swimming thoughts figuring that you would text him the notes later in case he missed anything due to the distraction that this random girl inflicted on him.

Once the lecture finished, the sound of books closing and backpacks zipping filled the lecture hall in a soft roar. Slipping your own books between the pockets of your backpack, you grabbed your phone and returned the small desk to its hanging position as you looked over at Peniel and Jenny.

Seeing that they were packed up, you rose to your feet and lifted your backpack up onto your shoulders.

“Where are you guys heading next?” You turned towards them as Peniel stood up and pulled his backpack up onto his shoulder.

“I was going to g-” Peniel began to speak before the bright voice cut him off once again

“We are going to go to look in the Campus store for matching shirts for the game this Friday” Jenny quickly answered, stepping on Peniel’s words as he turned his head from Jenny to you.

“What are you doing Peniel?” You questioned wanting to hear what he wanted to do since Jenny cut him off.

“I need to go to the library and print off some papers for my next class” Peniel answered as his eyes slowly moved from you to Jenny.

“We can do that after, we need to get our shirts” Jenny insisted, her arms wrapping around his as he slid his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

With no one speaking or saying anything, Jenny began to swing her arms from side to side, moving Peniel slightly.

“Please” She pleaded, her bottom lip sticking out slightly as Peniel closed his eyes for a moment to weigh his options before he opened them again and turned towards you.

“I guess I will see you around, ________. It was good to see you and hope that you are feeling better” Peniel commented with sincerity lining his words.

“See you” You nodded before Jenny whisked him away, her arms pulling him quickly down the row and up the stairs to the doors.

Leaving you standing alone, you folded your arms across you while your hands wrapped around the straps of your backpack. Following Peniel and Jenny with your eyes, you shook your head seeing her pull him while trying to move her hand into his. Exiting the row, you climbed the few stairs before exiting the building and heading to your next class.

Taking a different route than usual, you followed behind Peniel and Jenny keeping a good distance between you and them. Finally giving in, Peniel gave her his hand as she continued to pull him towards the store. With him pointing over to the Library you watched her make an excuse or two before pulling him through the doors.

Sorrow began to swell within you, your heart aching for Peniel while watching Jenny push him around the way she does. Wondering to your class, your mind began to connect the dots as you figured that they were together as a couple. Through your next class, you couldn’t stop thinking about what had happened next to you in the class before, how dominant and demanding she was towards him and how he deserved someone better and worth his time. Someone to pamper him and love him rather than drag him from place to place, with seeing him so happy before he met Jenny and how miserable he looked now you just wanted to whisk him away to bring some of that happiness back into his life.

Throughout your next class, you couldn’t help but think about him, snapping pictures of your notes and adding them to a text message you sent the message with a little note attached.

If you need anything else please let me know! I would love to hang out with you sometime, I did get a new racing game if you would want me to bring it over to your place?

Thinking that it would be a nice distraction for him for a little bit, you sent the text message and then tried to pay attention in your current class.