never again.

Never Again

They both stared down at their somewhat empty plates. Moonbyul was drawing circles on her own plate with the leftover sauce, eyes set on whatever else she could look at that wasn't the girl beside her. Solar was staring at her profile, trying to meet the blonde's gaze before reaching over and offering her glass up for another shot from their classmate. The silence between them wasn't exactly uncomfortable; it was masked by the clinkering sounds of wineglasses and old schoolmates reminiscing the good old days they had together back then. The brunette decided to break it first. "I wasn't exactly planning on getting this drunk tonight," she set down her shot glass and her rose-stained lips parted, releasing a breathy chuckle. "I barely even drank anything, just a few shots Hyejin gave me here and there," she added, feeling her stomach lurch a little before standing up.

"I'll send you home," Moonbyul muttered, finally turning towards her, but Solar shook her head.

"I'm fine. I just-" the brunette took in a slow, deep breath, attempting to steady her steps towards the exit. "I just need some fresh air."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"I'll join you. I'm not really in the mood for a hangover, anyway." Moonbyul glanced at her as they walked out of the large hall. She caught the little streaks of moonlight reflecting off of the other girl's chestnut brown locks, but somehow managed to tear her gaze away.

It was quietmuch too quiet for either girl's liking. The silence contrasted against the loud, unforgiving speakers in the hall that lazily boomed all the current hit songs of the month.

"Eric will be disappointed," Moonbyul joked, leaning against the cold, hard railing that led towards the garden of the hotel, her eyes still set on anything that wasn't Solar, anything that could help her avoid the other's gaze. She huffed and glanced up at the moonit was full today. "You really shouldn't have drank."

"Eric will understand," the brunette's eyes were glazed over, probably from all the alcohol that she shouldn't have drank. "I'm a friend in need. You're a much better person to be with when drunk instead of some random schoolmate, no?" she cracked a lopsided grin, tapping a rhythm against the steel railing.

"I'm not exactly sure about that- Hey, are you okay?"

Solar shook her head, her head in her hands.

"Sorry, I'm fine. Had a little headache since just now, and it's really starting to hit me hard."

"It's okay. Look, if you need anything, a barf bag or something, water maybe, I'm right here."

"I'm good. I just really wish you had stopped me from drinking, though. I can't hold-"

Moonbyul knelt down beside her, with a tiny smile that played along the curves of her lips. "-your liquor. I know you can't."

"Can we stay here for a moment? It's way too noisy inside, and I would rather stay out here to take a breather instead of listening to Hyejin's story about how she beat up the wrong guy by accident and it turned out to be her future boss. She tells to me whenever we meet," Solar complained, her eyes fluttering shut as she began to massage her temples. "Plus, it's not like I came here to catch up with everyone on how they've been doing, or listening to how many problems their jobs gives them. I've enough problems on my own."

Moonbyul stood up and propped her foot against the railing, occasionally tapping her foot against it. "Well, then why'd you agree to come? I thought you would be elated, but after hearing you now, I'd guess not."

"I-" the brunette heaved, getting up to join Moonbyul to lean against the silver railing.

Moonbyul raised an eyebrow and glanced towards her. "What, an argument happened?"

"Christ, you sound like a psych. No, nothing like that. Completely the opposite, actually. I came here, hoping for an answer as to why I was feeling something I wasn't supposed to, and I was trying to avoid it."

"You knew you can't drink, but you were taking shots left and right today. What are you trying to avoid?" Moonbyul grinned, playfully nudging the brunette, who responded to her with a smile and a silent shrug. "C'mon, you know I'll listen."

"I needed a break, so I didn't tell Eric where I was going today."

"A break from what? Is he troubling you?"

"Like I said, nothing of the sort," Solar stared unwaveringly at her bracelet, rolling the beads inbetween her slender fingers. "He proposed yesterday, Moonbyul."

The blonde cleared , trying to contemplate what she had just said. "Congratulations."

"Thanks."

Crickets chirped, and Moonbyul her lips in an attempt to prevent them from drying up from the cold air outside. "He's a great guy, you know."

"He is. He's pretty much perfect, and we get along well and stuff. It's just that... Sometimes he doesn't get that I need to think and make decisions on my own. Most of the time I just want to get to choose my own path, you know? I need my own space. That sort of thing. I'm just not sure that I want to be in his plans. He's got big plans, stuff like that." Solar shrugged once again, a sad smile creeping up the side of her lips as she turned to glance at Moonbyul.

"Plans you don't want to be a part of?"

"Exactly."

"Well... I know how you feel."

"You mean stuff with Wheein?"

"Kind of. She's an amazing girl and all, but I'm not exactly sure where our relationship is heading. I feel as if she gives me the world... and I'm picking it over her," Moonbyul kicked the edge of the railing, rather gently just to make sure she wouldn't hurt herself. "And I don't know how to tell her that."

"You seemed pretty uptight today. Anything happened?"

Moonbyul straightened up. "You could tell? Anyway, we had a disagreement over something."

"I think pretty much everyone could. You had this dark expression over your face, it was like you had a cloud over you or something. What was it about this time?"

"Nothing much. Just an differing opinions, and you know how headstrong she can get about hers."

"Yeah, I get that."

They sat in silence, both attempting to suppress the urge to look at each other, in case they had caught each other's gazes in their own. The wind blew quiet, mellow tones in their ears, and the crickets played an orchestra as the grass whispered in the breeze.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Solar gripped the silver metal and her voice hitched just a semitone higher, fearing the other girl's answer.

"Sure."

"Where did we go wrong?"

"God," Moonbyul bit her bottom lip, and chewed it momentarily before adding, "It was one of those teenage relationships that was destined to end, you know? I mean, when do these kind of relationships ever last long?"

"I don't kno-" Solar shook her head, feeling her stomach lurch forwards once again. "I really wanted us to work out, you know? I really did."

The blonde paused. "As did I. But at least we're still best friends, right?"

"Yeah. Me and my boyfriend who doesn't understand me, and you with a girl you don't feel anything for."

Moonbyul snickered.

"Fate , doesn't it?"

"It does."

They should've kissed. The breeze whispered into their ears once again, the starry night shining above them, as the two stared up at the glow of the moon that reflected itself off of the two women. They both knew they would never get a moment quite like this one ever again. A moment where two people perfectly understood each other, a moment where every emotion was completely aligned with each other's, a moment that was quite precious to both of them.

Moonbyul in a breath and turned towards Solar with a smile.

"We should go," she muttered.

"Yeah."