five

(no more) spaces between us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When the snow melted, Chaeyoung returned from her vacation and her mother and sister were off on the earliest train back to their hometown. Jisoo laid in bed on the day they did, two days before winter break would end, and began mentally preparing herself for the next semester to come. She stayed inside her room the whole day, Chaeyoung doesn't even coax her to come out even during meals. She only knocks when it was around dinnertime, asked Jisoo if she wanted takeout ("yeah, sure.") and left her alone again.

They ate everything under ten minutes, and instead of going back to her room, Jisoo sits on the living room couch as Chaeyoung turns the television on. "Want to watch a movie?" she asks, rummaging through her stacks of CDs, she must've brought them from her home. "You know how my brother owns a DVD rental shop, right? Well I sneaked some off the shelves and I got everything. Romance, comedy, drama, family, horror, crack, Japanese, Indian - everything." she looks up at Jisoo with a gleam in her eyes, anticipating. 

Jisoo smiles, makes herself comfortable on the couch, and nods. "Sure." 

The rest of the evening is relaxing, she likes it. 

 

 

> ; <

 

Mornings weren't her thing, they never were. But if her mother and sister could see her now, getting dressed already while the sun was still way below the horizon, they would ask silly questions like "who are you and what have you done with our Jisoo?". Thinking about them like this, in their humorous nature, makes Jisoo grimace a little. She misses them already. It's why she wasn't in the mood to even go out of her room the day they left, but Chaeyoung tried to cheer her up a little by having a movie marathon. And it did kind of work.

She enters the younger one's room, it looked smaller because of how messy and disorganized it was. She tiptoed past fallen objects and discarded clothes on the floor, she shook Chaeyoung a little bit and leaned it, whispering in her ear how she was going to go now and she would lock the door from the outside in case anyone tried to sneak in. Chaeyoung just grunts, eyes still closed, and scrunches her up nose as she says she gets it. 

Jisoo walks out of the apartment when she receives Bona's text, saying they were already outside and waiting for her. She sees the girls - Nayeon, Bona and Sowon - inside the car because they had the windows down. Sowon was on the driver's seat and Nayeon sat up front with her on the passenger's side, Jisoo sat at the back of the Land Cruiser with Bona.

"Hi," she chirped. The car smelled of fresh strawberries.

"Good morning, princess." Bona teased, smiling widely at her. "I'm glad you've decided to join us." 

Jisoo shrugs, strapping on the seatbelt. "I couldn't resist." That's right, she couldn't and for three reasons; one, she wanted to see a sunrise. She had never been a morning person or an early bird, so this was really a first for her in her twenty years of existence. Two, she wanted to try the famous, always talked about rooftop coffee shop they've been on about since the first week of January. And three, Taeyong. 

She's infatuated with him now, it's almost embarrassing to even think about it. She wants to see him. After two weeks since they last saw each other, she wants to see him again. On the first day back at school, with the sunrise in front of their eyes, surrounded by friends; she just wanted to see him. 

"Left, right?" Sowon asks, turning to Nayeon briefly for directions. Nayeon points to the right and Sowon stirs the wheel that way. "Nayeon went last New Year, and she didn't even bother to tell us."

"I was with my family, okay? And I didn't even know it would taste so good." she says, defending herself. She looks back at Jisoo and Bona, smiling. "Don't worry though, your orders are on me this morning." Bona claps cheerfully at this.

"Don't tell the boys though," she adds, as an afterthought. "Though, they're probably going to make Yuta pay. Since he lost their little game of bets."

Jisoo her head to the side in wonder, and Bona asks the question that's also in her mind. "What bets?"

"Over the holidays, the boys all went out of town," Sowon explained, although Jisoo thinks 99.98 percent of her attention was still on the road, even though it was still practically dawn and little to no cars and civilians were milling around the streets. "Seungcheol, Yuta and Yunhyeong all went to their hometowns. Yuta flew back all the way to Osaka. While Taeyong went to Jeju with his family for a vacation."

She remembers the smile on Taeyong's face then, big and wide and absolutely full of childish joy. Now she knows why, he must've had loads of fun over the holidays. 

"The four of them bet that they'd go cliff diving."

Bona snorts at the same time, Jisoo exclaims, "What?"

Sowon laughs at her expression. "Yeah, that's the same way I reacted." she takes a sharp turn to the left. "Crazy bastards. But they all did it."

"Except Yuta," Nayeon pointed out, laughing a little while shaking her head at the thought of them doing such a crazy thing just for some bet. "He took one good look down below and he couldn't bring himself to look down a second time."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter