final

Duet

“Hey”.

Jonghyun peeked out of his nest of blankets enough to see Kibum smiling softly down at him. He shifted a little to face him and brought the blue comforter high up, past his nose, aware that his eyes were a little wet from unshed tears. Kibum didn’t say anything else, bringing an hand up to thread through his mop of brown hair and the other down on the bed, bearing his weight on it.

Jonghyun didn’t meant to. He didn’t. But the sight of Kibum’s understanding smile and gentle caress made him scrunch up his eyes in an effort to not spill the tears that were there since that morning, an unforgiving final sign of his defeat against the waves of feelings he couldn’t control today.  Yesterday he failed another audition for a gig, he hadn’t been able to write a new song for two months, everything was just slowly piling up on him until all he was able to do when he woke up from barely three hours of sleep was pull himself underneath the covers until he felt warm with his own shame.

“Baby, hey, hey” Kibum quickly lied down next to him on top of the covers, framing his face in his hands and humming steadly to calm him down. “I’m sorry, I didn’t meant to” Jonghyun said quietly, trying to turn his face to dry his tears, but Kibum beat him to the punch, pawning softly at his cheeks with the sleeve of his red sweater. He cliked his tongue, “You have nothing  to apologize  for. I got worried when you didn’t respond to my texts today and stopped by.” He smiled at him again, a little sadness of his own seeping  into it, black hair falling in his eyes as he rested his head on the pillow and Jonghyun’s cheeks with his thumbs.

“I- I didn’t get up and I didn’t turn on my phone, I’m so sorry” a little voice inside his head was spitefully telling him that he was a failure of a boyfriend too on top of everything else, worrying a beautiful person with his useless, pathetic state of beign. He shook his head; he knew it wasn’t true. He stared into Kibum’s eyes, trying hard to absorb the love he saw shining like stars into them.

“I’m not feeling so good today with- you know, with everything and- ” He fiddled with a loose blue thread absently, trying so hard to hang on that flash of bravery to ask for the comfort he knew his boyfriend would give; his heart was hammering in his chest.

“Would you- lie for a while with me under the covers?”

Kibum pressed close to him, rubbing noses with him and smacking a loud kiss on his forhead. “Of course!”

He lifted his legs up and scooted down the covers in moments, immediately reaching for Jonghyun and engulfing him in his arms. With an hand he buried both of them under the darkness of the blankets and scooted further down to be eye-level with Jonghyun, who curled into Kibum until his knees rested on his tights and his hands on his heart.

All Jonghyun could feel was relief; he sighed heavily and inhaled deeply Kibum’s scent, sweetened by the security the taller man caged him into. Long moments passed in which all that existed to Jonghyun were the kisses Kibum laid on his skin with greatest care,his long fingers rubbing his back.

“I love you, Bummie. I-” I’m sorry I’m like this, he never had to chance to add.

“I love you too, Petit. Very Much. My Petit.” Jonghyun couldn’t help the giggle at the nickname, suddenly feeling himself fall onto his back and a leg straddle his waist. He opened his eyes to see Kibum’s face lined with mirt, covers fallen to the side at the sudden movement. He rested his hands on Kibum waist, but shifted them on his back when Kibum laid down on him, both arms under his neck; his weight as comforting as the early afternoon sun.

Jonghyun squealed when Kibum blew a raspebberry on his neck and wiggled under him, chasing the shivers away. “Petit, you’re so pretty-” another fit of laughter followed and Kibum started humming again, in satisfaction. He suddenly sat up and rested his elbows on either side of Jonghyun’s head.

“It’s okay, Jjongie. It’s okay to not feel good now. I promise it will get better. I’ll be right here with you, for as long as you want.”

All Jonghyun could do was press his lips to Kibum’s, locked in a kiss of gratitude he wished they could stay in forever. But the need to breathe took over, and he let go oh his boyfriend’s lips in favor of resting his cheek against the other’s sharp ones.

“Thank you” he whispered, “thank you.