1/1

The Study in You

Seokjin believed he lived a happy life on his previous life. When he saw his brand new pink mug sitting nicely on his table, he felt something sweet and familiar about the mug. It was like he ever had that mug before, and he had someone to share the coffee in it. But, Seokjin thought sadly, he had never been in relationship before. So where were the sweet memories come from?

“You’re just imagining it,” his colleague snorted.

“Don’t be mean, Yoongi.” Jin huffed. “You got your little Jiminnie already, even though you were that mean to everyone. That’s not fair.”

“Who is mean to everyone? Me? Again, hyung, you are just imagining things.”

Jin ignored him. He continued to type his given job, but his mind was elsewhere. He got another feeling before this too. He was in his own apartment, and he felt the same lingering feeling when he slumped down to his sofa. He had shared this sofa with someone before, but who? The feeling got Seokjin crazy for a whole week, before he could finally shake the feelings off because he had a ton of works to do.

“Hyung, don’t forget to buy flowers for manager’s sick wife,” Yoongi said lazily. “Please don’t break the flower, okay? I’m off first. Good bye.”

Seokjin frowned when Yoongi carelessly patted his shoulder before he left. It was Yoongi’s job, but somehow Jin had taken over the job. He still had two more charts to be typed for the report, and it was getting dark already. Seemed like someone would working all night again, Seokjin sighed.

It was hard to find a florist that open until late hours. He finally found one after strolling around in the town for one hour. The small shop was cute; everything was pink; the interior, the door, and it had a small pink board on the front of the shop, ‘Floo the Flower’ was written on it. Seokjin laughed at the name.

“Welcome to Floo the Flower, we make sure you picked the right flower!” A voice was heard as soon as Seokjin entered the shop. It was from a tall and blonde guy, with a pastel blue apron, and soft yellow rubber gloves on his hand. Seokjin felt a twinge of strange feeling when he saw the tall shopkeeper.

“I want flowers for visiting a sick person, please?” Seokjin asked, ignoring his rapidly-beating heart.

“For male or female?”

“Uh, it’s for female.”

“Okay. Please choose the flowers you want, I recommend this one here—“

“Uh, I don’t know anything about flower,” Seokjin cut the shopkeeper’s sentence. “So, it’s totally up to you. Just pick the prettiest one.”

The blonde shopkeeper grinned. “If you say so,”

He was working on Jin’s flower and Jin was observing the flowers in the shop carefully. There were a lot of flowers in there; roses, alliums, asters, and a lot others that Seokjin didn’t know the names. The flowers made the room beautiful, it seemed like they cheered up the atmosphere. Without him knowing, the shopkeeper was staring at Jin.

“Excuse me,” the shopkeeper said, and Seokjin startled. “The bouquet is done.”

“Oh, sorry. I was lost in my mind earlier,” Jin’s face was all red. “How much is it?”

“It’s free for you,” the shopkeeper smiled. “You are my hundredth customer for today, so it’s free!”

Seokjin frowned. He received the bouquet suspiciously. He glared at the smiling blonde shopkeeper.

“Are you seriously didn’t want me to pay?”

“No, it’s free, like I’ve said before.”

Seokjin pulled out his name card from his pocket. He offered it to the shopkeeper.

“Here, take my name card. I can pay you back with a cup of coffee next time,”

And then the shopkeeper clumsily cut a pink rose from the nearest bucket. He gave it to Seokjin.

“And take this, too,” the shopkeeper said. “The colour suits you.”

Seokjin raised his eyebrows, but he accepted the rose anyway. He left the shop with the shopkeeper’s smile gleaming behind his back.

 

 

He forgot the florist’s incident until Yoongi texted him about flower two weeks later.

Hyung, Yoongi typed. Can you tell me from where is your flower bouquet for manager’s wife at that time?

It’s from a small florist on T Street.

Can you please buy me roses for Jimin? Hehehe

Seokjin sighed. I am not your slave, he texted back.

Please, Hyung? He is sick and I don’t think I can make it home on time tonight.

Ah, Seokjin remembered Yoongi was on a business trip to the neighbourhood town. And sick Jimin? Seokjin didn’t know Yoongi’s boyfriend that much, but he ever met Jimin when he picked Yoongi up from their office. Jimin was sweet, a ray of sunshine that must be protected. Seokjin didn’t understand how he fell in love with grumpy Yoongi.

Okay, okay, Seokjin replied. I will send a bunch of roses to his house.

Thank you so much, hyung! I owe you Starbucks once I come back.

Yeah, yeah whatever, Seokjin smiled at Yoongi’s text. He was actually a sweet person.

Seokjin was glad he had already finished all his works for today. He still had a few hours to bought Jimin flowers and then went back home. His body missed the warmth of his lovely bed so much.

 At that time, Seokjin remembered the free bouquet he had gotten from the flower shop. And his promise to treated the shopkeeper a coffee for that. He had already forgotten his promise. Besides, the shopkeeper never texted him or called him!

“Welcome to Floo the Flower, we make— oh, it’s you again!”

Seokjin grinned —he wasn’t sure why he did that— and he scratched his not-itchy head.

“What do you want this time?” The shopkeeper had his brightest smile on his face. Seokjin wondered what made him become very happy today.

“Um, roses, please? For a sick person, again,”

The shopkeeper nodded. He skilfully picked up the wrapper for the bouquet. “What colour of roses do you want?”

“Err, red? I am not sure. Are they really bring a sick person red roses?”

“Not really. But I have quite a lot of customer who always buy their girlfriend or boyfriend the red ones. Even when they are sick,” the shopkeeper added.

“Okay, it’s red, then.”

 “Oh, it’s for your girlfriend?” Seokjin didn’t notice the change in the shopkeeper’s tone.

“No, it’s for my friend’s boyfriend.”

And, again, Seokjin didn’t notice when the smile bloomed again on the shopkeeper’s face.

“You are so talented,” Seokjin commented. He was looking at how the shopkeeper set the roses into a beautiful bouquet. “I don’t think my clumsy hand can set those roses into such a pretty thing.”

The shopkeeper laughed. “Everyone can do this, really. I can teach you if you want to. It’s quite simple. Here you are,”

Seokjin retrieved the bouquet. “How much is this?”

“It’s—“

“Don’t say it’s free again,” Seokjin cut him. “I want to pay this.”

“I was about to say, it is thirty dollars.”

Seokjin blushed. “Oh, I am sorry,”

“It’s okay!” The shopkeeper laughed. “You are cute, so it’s okay.”

Seokjin surprised, he stared at the shopkeeper with wide eyes. Because he didn’t want to accidentally break a bunch of flowers because of his embarrassment, Seokjin pulled out thirty dollars from his wallet.

“Here, take this, and thank you for the bouquet—“

“Hey, hey, I am sorry for my words. Here’s the change,” The shopkeeper placed twenty dollars in Seokjin’s hand. Their finger brushed for a second. “And I still remember your promise to buy me coffee!”

Seokjin was confounded with the shopkeeper sudden cheerful tone. Because Seokjin was too surprised to say anything, the shopkeeper abruptly said,

“Oh, but it is okay if you forgot, though. I am sure you have a busy day and—“

“No, no, I remember that promise,” Seokjin lied. Well, he did remember, but he remembered it just now. “We can set the day for that, then? Because, yes, I am quite busy like you said.”

“I can just follow your schedule, because I’m free for most of my time.”

“Well, I will text you later, okay?”

The shopkeeper gave out a small pink name card. ‘Floo the Flower’ was written on it, along with the telephone number, instagram username, and the website.

“It’s my number in there,” the shopkeeper said happily. “Contact me if you already know your day off, and, oh,”

Seokjin, still too dumbfounded to say anything, looked at him confusedly.

“My name is Namjoon. Kim Namjoon. Yours?”

“Ah, oh, my name is K-Kim Seokjin.”

“Great,” Namjoon smile couldn’t be wider anymore. “I’ll look forward to the coffee, okay?”

 

 

Hoseok pulled out his tongue when Namjoon opened the supply room. He was bored because Namjoon asked him to kept stay in the room as long as Seokjin still in the shop. Good thing the room had air conditioner. Hoseok looked up to a grinning Namjoon on the door frame.

“So smooth, Namjoon. Is he that interesting?” Hoseok asked curiously.

“He had that very beautiful face, and his hair looked so soft,” Namjoon said in a dreamy tone. “I don’t even know; something in my mind told me that I ever met him in my previous life.”

“Gah,” Hoseok snorted. “Do you believe in previous life?”

Namjoon shrugged.

 

 

“Hyung, thank you for your help yesterday,” Yoongi said. “Jiminnie is so pleased, did you send red roses?”

“Yes. I don’t know what to pick, though. The florist chose it for me.” Seokjin answered without looking at Yoongi. He was busy typing something at his computer. “I’m glad Jimin is happy. How is he?”

“Still had a fever, but he’s healing. Here, Hyung, I can help you with those.” Yoongi offered a USB. Seokjin frowned suspiciously.

“Why are you suddenly acting all nice to me, Yoongi. That’s weird.”

“I just want to pay you back, Hyung, please,” Yoongi grabbed his USB and began to walk back to his desk. “If you don’t want it, it’s okay…”

Seokjin snatched back the USB. “Oh, thank you so much, Yoongi,” Seokjin was smiling so wide. “I guess I can counting on you, then?”

If Yoongi offered to do his last work for today, Seokjin could go home early today. It was still five in the evening, so he still had a plenty of time. He quickly searched for the pink name card the shopkeeper had given to him.

Hello, this is Seokjin, the one who promised you coffee on the other day. Do you have free time this evening?

The reply was coming a little bit too fast, Seokjin thought. His pink iPhone vibrated only one minute after he sent the message.

I am totally free today! Where should I meet you?

Starbucks near your shop, maybe? At six?

Got it.

Seokjin wasn’t sure why he smiled at the text message. Could he manage to come back to his flat and changed his working suit? Seokjin calculated the timing and decided that he could come late to the café. Wait. It wasn’t like he looked forward to this, he denied in his head. But, he couldn’t help the butterflies in his stomach.

What was his name again? Kim Namjoon? It was funny how they shared the same surname. Well, Kim was a common surname, though. But, still, Jin could feel the same feeling when he stared at his pink mug; that déjà vu feeling he got from nowhere.

Precisely at six o’clock, Seokjin sat at the small table beside the window. It would be so cliché if the rain fell, and they sat by the window just like a couple; drinking coffee and such. He was browsed through his gallery when suddenly Namjoon appeared in front of him.

He looked so different without his apron and that yellow gloves. His blonde hair now combed to the back, making a cool quiff. He wore a warm and comfortable maroon sweater, up until his neck. It contrasted his bright hair. He looked, Seokjin cursed himself in his own mind, amazingly handsome.

“Hey,” Namjoon greeted.

“Is that a twenty dollar sweater?” Seokjin bursted out.

“How do you know?”

“I-I’m not sure…”

Namjoon chuckled. His eyes scanned the menu. “What do you want to drink?”

“Uh, a latte, please.”

“Okay.”

Namjoon was about to walk to the cashier when Seokjin suddenly grabbed his hand and pulled him back to the seat.

“No, no, it’s my treat. I’ll pay. What do you want?”

“Affogato, please.”

Seokjin flashed a smile when he left. “Okay.”

They ended up telling each other about their cats, and flowers, and how Seokjin hated his clumsy hand so much.

“I dropped my boss’ books at that morning and he lectured me for an hour,” Seokjin sighed, while Namjoon laughed in front of me. “I was so ashamed of myself. My friend told me that my partner in the previous life was probably a clumsy person,”

“And now it’s on you? The clumsiness?” Namjoon chuckled. Seokjin nodded in response.

“Yoongi never let me bring the report papers to our boss’ room,” Seokjin whined. “It’s okay, though, since the reports are heavy.”

Namjoon sipped his last drop of affogato. “It makes me wonder, do you believe in the previous life?”

“I had these feelings yesterday… I am not sure if you want to hear me telling you a boring story,”

Namjoon beamed from ear to ear. “I am happy to hear anything from you.”

Then Seokjin told him how he felt something corny when he bought his pink mug. He explained how he felt like the mug was his from the start. He told Namjoon that he had stared at the mug for a very long time before he actually gave up and pushed the mug inside the sink. Seokjin was too shy to told the other about that particular feeling when he slumped down into his sofa. He didn’t tell that part.

“That was why I asked your sweater’s price just now,” Seokjin said, embarrassed. “I thought I have ever bought that before. But I don’t have it! I don’t know what’s happening to myself anymore.”

Namjoon stunned. He shook his assumptions in his head, but he was curious. Did he really ever met Seokjin in his previous life? Heck, Namjoon wasn’t sure who he was in the previous life. Maybe he was a girl, maybe he was a boy, or maybe he was nothing at all.

“Can I ask you something?” Namjoon asked carefully. He didn’t want to sound too excited or something.

“What is it?”

“This is a bit personal, but,” Namjoon cleared his throat. “Do you lost one of your kidney?”

Seokjin was breathless. He did have only one kidney, but he never told anyone. Not even Yoongi. Nobody but he and God knew this. How this Namjoon could guess it? Heck, it seemed like it wasn’t a lucky shot. Seokjin was left open-mouthed. His heart drummed so rapidly, he couldn’t breathe.

“How do you know?” Finally escaped Seokjin’s lips. He barely managed a whisper.

Seokjin couldn’t be more astonished when Namjoon suddenly grabbed his hand and squeezed it very tight. Seokjin swore he could see stars in Namjoon’s eyes. It sparked, like fireworks in the night sky without clouds; very clear and beautiful.

“I believe in my previous life,” Namjoon said, his voice seemed like crying. “But I never thought I’ll meet my previous partner this soon.”

 

 

Yoongi was concentrating on his computer when suddenly his phone vibrated. It was Jimin. He could see the contact name given by the younger just fine by this distance.

Hyung, did Seokjinnie hyung has a boyfriend?

Yoongi frowned at his phone. Seokjin had never told him anything about new boyfriend. Yoongi was not even sure Seokjin could have a boyfriend. His clumsiness was just too much. Probably he would tripped over his boyfriend’s feet as soon as they were dating.

 I don’t know, Jimin. He never told me. Yoongi texted back.

Well, just now I saw him walk with a tall man. Maybe he is his new friend, I don’t know, though. Maybe it’s just my assumptions. See you later, Hyung! xoxo

Seokjin never told him about ‘new friends’ too, Yoongi thought. But he shook the negative thought out of his mind. Seokjin was a grown up man by now, Yoongi didn’t want to interfere with one’s private life. If the older wanted to tell him, he would tell him for sure.

 

 

“Does this look familiar to you?”

Seokjin gaped at Namjoon’s living room. It was like he visited his grandmother’s old house; he could remember where the sofa was, and how was the hanging lamp, or just simply the old newspaper pushed messily under the table. This was Namjoon’s house, a stanger’s house, but Seokjin indeed felt that he knew this room like the back of his hand.

“Let me guess, the bathroom is over there, next to the kitchen?” Seokjin pointed to the narrow way in the end of the living room, leading to somewhere he didn’t know, but somehow, he could picture it inside his mind where would it be going to.

Namjoon looked satisfied. “Exactly.”

He sat down on the chair behind an old brown piano. He let Seokjin wandered around the living room. Namjoon adored how the older’s fingers softly brushed the dusty table, leaving a trace of fingers on it. He stopped at another empty table beside the window.

“Something’s missing here, isn’t it?” Seokjin asked.

“It is scary how do you know that, but yes. It was a—“

“Yellow vase with a single flower,” Seokjin said quickly. “It fell down through the window.”

Namjoon pushed back a grin, and nodded. It was exactly what happened one week ago. He had an ugly vase with a single cut of rose inside. He was glad that he accidentally throw it outside the window. He could hear the crashing sound when the vase hit the ground down there at that time.

“It’s amazing,” Seokjin said in disbelief. “Who are you? I never meet you before this, but I know your house like it’s mine.”

“I am Kim Namjoon,” the latter simply said. “The owner of ‘Floo the Flower’ around the corner. Here, let’s go to the kitchen.”

The kitchen was amazing. Everything inside it was pink. The refrigerator, the lamp, the knives, even the curtain was pink. Seokjin was careful to not touch anything. He didn’t want to hurt anyone with his hand.

“I don’t know why I bought these in pink,” Namjoon laughed. “My favourite colour is not even pink. My hand just moved by itself.”

“Pink is good.” Seokjin defended his favourite colour. He pointed his fingers at the drawers. “The first one is spoons and forks, and smaller knives. The one below is where you keep the Chinas, and the last one is for napkins.”

“Good. Go on.”

“You would dry the plates and put it there,” Seokjin walked to the drying racks. Namjoon chuckled but he shook his head. He walked behind Seokjin’s back, and he stood there, very close with the older, he could even smell the shampoo on Seokjin’s hair.

“Maybe it’s your habit in your previous life. But I usually put it here,” Namjoon softly moved Seokjin’s hand to the empty space beside the sink.

“On an old newspaper to absorb the water.” Seokjin breathed and Namjoon whispered a ‘yes’ in his ear. Somehow they had linked their fingers all this time.

“Welcome home, Hyung.”

 

 

When Seokjin returned to the office on the next morning, he didn’t see Yoongi’s observing glance towards him. The older looked unusually bright today. He hummed a tone whenever he passed by Yoongi’s table.

“Someone’s happy today.” Yoongi commented when they were on the lunch time.

“Who?” Seokjin asked, as oblivious as ever, while he unwrapped his sandwich.

“No, nevermind.”

Seokjin just hummed in return. “Oh, Yoongi?”

“What?”

“Can you do the final report for today for me, please? I something important to do this evening. Please?”

Yoongi looked at him suspiciously before muttered a ‘yes’.

“Great! Thank you, Yoongi!”

 

 

It was like you were reminiscing your old memories with your old friends, guessing who’s running away when there’s a bee in the park at a particular time, or who’s eating all the pork stew on summer. On their case, Namjoon was recalling how he came home late at night, and felt like he was just angry to someone.

“I literally met no one at that night.” Namjoon poured a cuppa and handed it to Seokjin. “But as soon as I walked into my house, I felt like I have just snapped to someone, and yelled at them.”

“It probably me, coming home late after a sober party.” Seokjin sipped his hot tea.

Namjoon choked at his own tea. “You can handle soju well?”

“My friends told me I’m the best at the office, so, yeah.”

They were sitting side to side in the living room. The weather was not cold at all, but they sat too close so their knees and shoulder bumped into each other. Not that they mind, though.

“I had a dream with you inside it,” Namjoon continued. “Your face was blurred in my mind, but I knew it was you.”

“What’s in your dream?”

“I was sitting in the hospital, and I was crying because of you.”

“Me?” Seokjin turned his gaze to the younger. “What did I do to you?”

“You were dead. In the surgery room.”

Seokjin gasped. “When did you have the dream, Namjoonie?”

“I don’t remember, maybe, a year ago?”

Seokjin smiled at the memory. He fixated his gaze to his cup. “One year ago, too, I had a strange dream.”

“What is it?”

“I was walking inside a forest, when I came across a dark river. Somehow I knew I would meet a white swan on there, but I saw nothing. So I walked back, and— uh, I forgot the continuation.”

Namjoon made a funny face. “Was it somehow related to my dream?”

“I don’t know.” Seokjin shrugged. “It’s just a dream.”

“But after I meet you, I believe dream is not just a dream anymore.” Namjoon chuckled. “Maybe it tells us our fate.”

“Why so cheesy, Namjoonie.” Seokjin laughed.

“So,”

“So?”

“Will you, uh,” Namjoon grinned. “Will you take this relationship to the next stage?”

Seokjin stunned. “What— you mean, you want me to marry you?”

“No! Gosh, Hyung, you surely have an imaginations.” Namjoon laughed so loud, so Seokjin was embarrassed by his own words.

“Sorry.”

“No, I mean, will you go out with me?” Namjoon crossed his fingers behind his back. “I mean, we can getting to know each other once again, and, well, uh, after all these strange experience—“

“I would like to,” Seokjin lips formed a sweet crescent. “Let’s get to know each other once again, Namjoonie.”

Namjoon's cheeks dimpled with a blush, and they linked their fingers before they fell into each other's arm.