The meeting

I'll take care of you

 

I closed the cash register and looked out the window. It was already dark; I didn’t realize that the time was passing by. I looked at my watch and tapped it.

 

“ Closing time,” I murmured.

I walked over to the open sign and flipped it over to close. I turned around and looked at my cafe that was now empty. I picked up a wet towel and started wiping down the counters and tables.

The best part about owning a cafe is that I get to do what I love the most, make coffee. Ever since I dropped out of college to help my mom pay for my dad’s hospital bills, I couldn’t really focus on school. When he passed away, college didn’t interest me anymore. I started my own little cafe in a small corner in Hongdae. With the average amount of customers coming in and out; I didn’t need to hire anybody. I was my own employee and it never bothered me.

I heard my phone ring and fished out my pockets. I took out my phone and looked at the Caller ID. I answered it with a smile.

“ Hello, omma,” I said.

“ Aigoo, amber when are you going to come by the house and visit your omma?” She said.

I chuckled and put my phone on speaker.

“ I just visited you last week omma,” I said.

“ You should be visiting me everyday!” She said.

I took off my apron and hanged it up on the wall.

“ I will come visit soon, don't worry.” I said.

“ Only 23 and you're already working so hard. Your father would be proud of you if he knew what you were doing,” Omma said.

I smiled as I put on my coat.

“ Aish, okay I've got to go now. Your little sister just got home, and I have to make dinner. I love you, little eunyoung. Don't overwork yourself,” she said.

“ I love you too omma, don't worry about me. I'll see you and sis soon.” I said.

I hanged up and put my phone in my back pocket. I picked up my umbrella from the storage room and stepped outside. I locked the doors of the cafe and opened my umbrella.

I started walking towards the train station with my umbrella in hand. However, I stopped after only a few steps.

I raised my brow when I saw a shivering figure next to a post. Normally, people wouldn't go near any dark figure late at night but I was worried.

I ran over to the person and knelt down. I put the umbrella over them.

“ Are you okay?” I asked.

The person didn't respond but continued to shiver. I heard a sniffle and realized that I needed to help this person out. I took off my coat and put it over their head. That's when I realized it was a girl.

She looked up and my breath was taken away. Her eyes were puffed up and her hair was a mess. However, she was still charming and I couldn't take my eyes off her. I shook off the thought and held out my hand.

She looked at it and backed up a little.

“ I’m not going to hurt you, I promise. I just want to help you. My cafe is right across the street,” I said and pointed to it.

She looked over at where my fingers were pointing and thought about it. She nodded and got up without my help. She followed me to the cafe as I held the umbrella over her head. I unlocked the door and let her inside as I the lights.

She sat down as I went behind the counter to make a cup of coffee for her. As I made it, she scanned the cafe from head to toe.

I set the hot coffee in front of her and sat down on the opposite side. She looked at it and then me.

“ Go ahead, I didn't do anything to it,” I said.

She picked it up and took a sip of it. Her eyes widened in surprise. I chuckled and leaned back.

“ It's good?” I asked.

She nodded and continued to drink it. I looked down at my watch and then at her.

“ So what were you doing out there in the cold?” I asked.

She looked down and lowered her eyelids.

“ Ran away,” she said.

I looked at her in astonishment. Her voice mesmerized me, but the fact that she ran away surprised me more. I sighed and tapped my fingers against the wooden table.

“ Ran away from home? Or just your problems? You look like you're old enough to own your own home,” I said.

“ Both,” She answered.

I hummed in response.

“ Have any relatives that you can contact?” I asked.

“ There's no one I can turn to, I've been passed on from one family to another since I was 13.” She said.

“ And how old are you?” I asked

“ 21,” She answered.

I widened my eyes in surprise.

“ Pathetic huh? I ran away from my house that I shared with my aunt and ex boyfriend. I have nothing now,” She said.

“ So you're just going to hop from one street to another now?” I asked.

“ I can't do much until I find a job,” she said.

I didn't know what was driving me into it, but I wanted to help the girl. Even though she was only a couple years younger than me, I felt like she went through a lot more things than me.

I stood up and crossed my arms.

“ Okay, I've decided,” I stated.

She looked up at me, confused.

“ I’ll help you out until you can go on your own,” I smiled.

She quickly covered her s with her arms and shook her head. I blushed and shook my head.

“ It’s not what you think! I'm a girl, I don't date girls,” I said flustered.

“ A girl?” she asked.

“ Y-yeah,” I stuttered.

I took out my wallet and handed her my id. She scanned it and then looked at me.

“ Amber…” She said.

I gulped and nodded. She looked at it again and then at me. However, she looked down at the floor and I thought she was going to reject my offer. Then, I heard a sniffle come from her and noticed she was crying.

“ Thank you, so much amber,” She said.

I held out my hand and grinned. I watched her look up at it and then me.

“ Let me re-introduce myself, I’m Amber Liu. Owner of Aimé Cafe. You are?” I asked.

She wiped her tears and shook my hand.

“ Jung Soojung,” she said

“ Nice to meet you Soojung, I’ll be taking care of you from now on,” I grinned.