Chapter 6

Hae-kyung's Love

Hwan-gun and Hae-kyung decided to take a break from shooting the advert for the hotel, they had been shooting for hours and the July heat was getting to them.

“I’m amazed you managed to pull this off so quickly, it’s nothing short of a miracle.” Hwan-gun said as he poured her some iced tea while they rested in one of the gazebos.

“I had to pull all the strings I could to round up a team this fast, the PD owes me a big one so he really couldn’t refuse.” She smiled.

“Your competence is very praiseworthy.” He smiled back.

She shrugged, “I do what I can.” Just then, her cellphone rang. “Yeobseyo? Eo Joonah.” She indicated that she was going to step aside for a bit to take the call and as she left Hwan-gun wondered who she was talking with such affection in her voice.

“What are you doing?” Ki-joon asked.

“I’m working. Why?” She said.

“Want to go see a movie later?” He asked.

“I’m sorry, I’m possibly going to be pulling all-nighters this week. The hotel’s grand opening is in a few days and we have to finish shooting the campaign, we have to supervise the editing, and finalize the guest list so we can start sending out invites.” She apologized.

Ki-joon sighed. “We haven’t done anything in a while so I thought it would be fun to hang out together.”

“Mianhae. Hey, why don’t you come to the grand opening of the hotel? It’s going to be fancy.” She laughed, she could see him wrinkle his nose.

“You know how I feel about black-tie events.” He replied.

“Eyy, I need a date. Please? Please, please, please?” She said until she heard him sigh in resignation.

“Oh, alright I’ll come. If I get bored, I’m leaving.” He said.

She giggled and turned around to see Hwan-gun standing behind her, stopped like he had seen something amazing. He gestured that it was time to get back to filming so they could finish the shoot before the lost sunlight. She nodded and said, “I have to get back to work now, I’ll talk to you later, I love you” then she hung up. They went back to filming, but Hwan-gun didn’t feel the same anymore.

Later that night, the finally finished shooting the ad and the team packed up after saying their goodbyes they left.

“I’ll drop you off at home if you want.” He said as she stretched next to him.

She checked her watch and saw that it was too late to go to the movies with Ki-joon so she agreed to let Hwan-gun drop her off. As soon as she gave him her address and he entered it into the GPS, she dozed off. He guessed she must have been more tired than she let on. At a stoplight, he gazed at her as he remembered her ringing laugh. He didn’t realize she had such a delightful laugh, it reminded him of wind chimes ringing in a soft, blowing breeze. He smiled at the memory before he stopped himself. He was a man with a fiancée, he had no business becoming attracted to another woman. He surprised himself by admitting that he did find her attractive. She was beautiful and smart and very competent at her job. He sighed as the light turned green, he was treading into dangerous territory.

Hae-kyung startled from her sleep just as Hwan-gun pulled up in front of her apartment building.

“Oh we’re here already, thank you.” She stifled a yawn and wiped the sleep from her eyes. “I’ll see you tomorrow to go over the list of people invited to the grand opening. Ah, I also have to contact the members of the press to let them know.”

“Hae-kyungssi, you’re about to pass out. Just go in tonight and get some sleep, we’ll worry about work tomorrow.” He said gently.

She smiled in reply. “You’re right. I guess I will see you tomorrow then.” She stepped out of the vehicle and waved him goodnight before entering her building. She punched in her password and immediately she entered the house, she smelt food. “Joonah!” She exclaimed before she even saw him.

Ki-joon peeped his head out of the kitchen and smiled. “Hi.” He wore one of her aprons and held a ladle in his hand.

She kicked off her shoes and ran to hug her brother. “You know how much I love you, right?” She said as she closed her eyes and inhaled the sweet aroma of whatever delicious food he was cooking.

“I figured you didn’t get a chance to eat with being so busy and I decided if we couldn’t go to a movie I should cook for you.” He said, stirring the soup. They sat down to eat on the floor of the living room like they always did, and as they ate he asked her about her day. “Now, do I have to pick you up on the day of the opening? It’s a Saturday and I don’t want to have to close the café early.” He said.

“Well, you could always come afterwards. I’m looking to have the event over by 11:30pm since we’ll be starting at 7pm, four and a half hours seems like enough time.” She replied.

“Do I have to wear a suit?” He wrinkled his nose.

“Yes. You know, I’ve never understood why you hate suits so much considering how handsome you look in them.” She said.

“It’s those stupid ties, I swear I would like to meet whoever invented the stupid thing and hang them with it.” He said off-handedly before he remembered how she felt about people being hung and quickly apologized.

“Are you staying here tonight or are you going home?” She asked, changing the topic so he didn’t feel too bad.

“I’m staying.” He replied. After they finished eating, they did the dishes and decided to watch a movie on TV. He lay his head in her lap and was fast asleep before the movie was over. Hae-kyung lost interest in watching the movie and decided to go to bed herself. She brought a pillow, which she slid under his head, and a blanket with which she covered him before lightly kissing his head and turning off the light.