Lifetime

Lifetime

It started on a day like most others. It was the weekend, the first one he'd been able to get off in months, and he wanted nothing more than to sit down somewhere and relax with a book. No cellphone, no computer, no distractions. With any luck he'd be ready to restart his week at the office refreshed and ready to tackle that next project.

That was the plan anyway. Then he met JungMin.

At a coffee shop just down the street from his apartment, he found a seat out on the patio with some sort of weird concoction the barista had forced on him that vaguely tasted like coffee, and book in hand. He'd only got a few pages into it, not enough to get interested in the plot or the characters when a stiff breeze blew threw. The pages of his book fluttered and he looked up to see someone passing by his table towards the coffee shop.

Something tugged sharply at his memory as the man passed, only catching the barest glimpse of wine colored hair and too long of legs before he disappeared into the shop. For a long moment he stared at the door, wondering what that had been about before he shook his head, brushing the weird feeling aside. There could be any number of reasons why the man- it had been a man hadn't it?- had been familiar. With a shake of his head he returned to his book.

Several minutes later there was the scrape of metal against pavement and he glanced up. The man with wine colored hair and gray wool coat was sitting next to him at his table looking for all the world like he belonged. Lips were quirked into a smirk and the man was staring at him.

"Have we met?" The man said, his rich baritone voice sending a weird chill down his spine.

"I don't think so," he shook his head and sat back in the chair. "I think I would have remembered meeting you."

"That's what I told myself," the man said, taking a sip of his drink, holding the cardboard cup with his pinky finger out like it was high tea. "But when I passed by your table I couldn't help but think that I knew you, from somewhere. "JungMin," the man said, holding out his hand.

"HyunJoong," he replied, taking the hand, noting the firm grip and how JungMin's hands were just slightly larger than his own.

"Well HyunJoong," JungMin said, taking his hand back and pulling out a pen from his coat pocket, "if you would like to become even more familiar, call me." He took HyunJoong's book from him, and wrote his number in the side margin of the page he had been on and then handed it back.

"You wrote in my book," HyunJoong blinked, scowling at the now marked up page. He looked back up but JungMin had already left the table, and was waving over his shoulder. "Very strange," he said, shaking his head and tried to go back to reading.

------------

The rope bonds about his wrists and ankles bit viciously into his bare skin. Sweat running down his arms was trickling into where the ropes had rubbed his skin raw, the salty sting more uncomfortable than the too tight ropes. His current physical condition was the second thing on his mind though, as he was lying prostrate on the hard packed dirty floor and stripped bare.

Nose buried in the ground, he didn't dare look up to the two men who were just a few paces away, not if he wanted to live.

"Stand him up," came a sober, almost bored voice. Two pairs of hands hauled him up roughly to his feet, and if it weren't for them continuing to hold him up, he would have fallen right over immediately. Dizzy from the loss of blood, he barely remembered to lower his eyes to the feet of the one sitting in the chair. The barest glimpse he had got of the man was enough, even in the dim torch light. The cold ambivalent look told him all he needed to know. He could die at this man's whim, and no one would care.

He was just a slave after all.

"Tell me again why there's a trussed up slave in front of me?" The man said again.

"He was caught trying to steal food, lord," one of guards holding him up said, and he heard the man sigh.

"Such a shame, well you know what to do with him then."

"Wait," a second voice, one he was familiar with. The son. Even then he didn't risk looking up. "It's such a waste to kill a perfectly good slave over something as small as an extra spoonful of rice. Let me have him, I'll see that he's properly punished." If he could, he would have kissed the man right there.

"As you wish," the lord waved them off and he was dragged from the room.


"That was the stupidest thing you could have ever done." He looked up at the face, the lightly tanned skin of the man's face was crinkled in worry as he tended to the slave's wounds. "You were lucky I was there to save you."

"That was kind of the plan," the slave chuckled, leaning over to kiss the man hard, not for a moment thinking it was a bad idea. 

Not when the the other man abandoned the cleaning of wounds to wrap his arms around the slaves neck and return the kiss. Not when he dragged the slave to his bed, begging him for more, hour after hour.


------

"So you had a dream about him," YoungSaeng said as he downed the shot and placed the empty glass upside down on the bar. "Why are you telling me about it?"

"It was more than just a ' dream' Saeng," HyunJoong scowled at him, sipping at his beer. "It felt... real, and it wasn't like the lord's son even looked like JungMin, hell he wasn't even Korean."

"Why are you saying it was this JungMin then?" YoungSaeng was looking at him with an expression that clearly said he thought HyunJoong was crazy.

"I don't know," HyunJoong sighed, finishing off his beer and motioning for another. "It just felt like it was him, I think."

"Maybe you just were hoping it was," YoungSaeng said, leaning against the bar with that glazed over drunk look. "Have you called him?"

"No," HyunJoong glanced over at his friend, shaking his head. "What would I say? 'Hey, I had this weird dream where I was a slave and I was screwing you into a mattress, only it wasn't really you, let's go have a beer.' That's an awkward conversation," HyunJoong snorted, paying for the beer the bartender brought.

"Or you could leave out that first part and invite him out for a drink," YoungSaeng rolled his eyes. "Get a few beers in him, then discuss your wet dreams."

"You're so classy," HyunJoong motioned to the bartender to cut his friend off. "I'll call him this weekend."

"No you won't. You tell yourself you'll call him, then get into one of your zoned out modes while you're working out and completely forget. Call him, have a drink, get laid," YoungSaeng said, turning away from him to pout pitifully at the bartender. The bartender relented at YoungSaeng's look and gave him one more, YoungSaeng grinning happily as he took the shot.

"You're a lush," HyunJoong shook his head. "You crashing at my place?"

"And listen to you moan someone else's name all night? No thank you," YoungSaeng said, leaning back in the stool. "I'll call someone to give me a ride home."

"HyungJoon is not going to appreciate you calling him at this hour," HyunJoong laughed, finishing off his beer, starting to stand.

"No, but he'll do it anyway, because he loves me," YoungSaeng grinned, nearly falling off the stool.

"Yes, he does," HyunJoong gave him a pointed look but YoungSaeng wasn't paying attention. "Go home, I'll call you tomorrow." He said, putting on his coat and heading for the door, YoungSaeng yelling after him to 'Call the redhead!'

---------

Staring up at the ceiling, HyunJoong tried not to think about JungMin, or the weird dream, or the feelings the both of them together roused in him. It was just a dream, he kept telling himself over and over. A weird dream that really wasn'tabout JungMin, or himself. Just a weird dream, probably from watching too many historical movies.

--------

The sound of wood creaking and waves crashing into the bow below were the only sounds as he stood at the railing. The night was clear and the all too important stars overhead were shining brightly overhead.

"Can't sleep?" A voice from behind and he turned his head to look at the other who had joined him at the rail.

"No Captain, sorry, I hope I wasn't disturbing you," he said, gripping the rail a little tighter as the deck rocked under his feet.

"Nope, was just taking a little stroll," the captain said, looking up at the stars. "I wonder if the stars will be the same in the new world."

"Why wouldn't they be?" he asked, looking up as well. The captain turned to look at him but said nothing to that and turned to walk away, hands clasped behind his back.

"Let's go have a drink," the captain said as he headed to his cabin. He had barely managed to close the door behind him before his commanding officer had him pinned to the wall, hands were reaching through the various folds of his clothing and their mouths clashed together in a frenzy. He ended up bent over the captain's desk, staring out at the night sky through the window.


-----------

Although he would never say that he hated his job, he couldn't say that he loved it either. It was a boring conventional type of job were he was stuck at a desk staring his life away at a computer screen. It was already the middle of the week, and after several more dreams like the first he was having a rather difficult time concentrating on what numbers went in what column and why was this so important anyway?

Glancing at the clock, he realized it was lunch time, and not a moment too soon as he was close to bashing his head onto the desk repeatedly. Getting up from his chair, he grabbed his jacket and headed out of his office, trying to decide what to do for lunch. Heading down the hall he stopped at a doorway and leaned against it. "Lunch time," he said mildly and the person in the office looked up from his computer.

"You buying?"

"Don't I always?" HyunJoong rolled his eyes as the other shot out of his chair and grabbed his coat. "And before you ask, we're going to the cafe, like always." The other pouted but said nothing and they left the building together.

"YoungSaeng call you for a ride the other night?" HyunJoong said as he ate his meal, stirring the noddles with his chopsticks.

"Yeah, and he told me all about your little predicament," HyungJoon grinned despite HyunJoong's clear look of disapproval. "Have you called him yet?"

"No, and that's not any of your, or YoungSaeng's business," HyunJoong wrinkled his nose at the younger, but the other wasn't dissuaded. 
"Have you had any more dreams?" HyungJoon was nearly bouncing in his seat and not for the first time HyunJoong wanted to tape YoungSaeng's mouth shut. 

"I don't want to talk about it," HyunJoong tried to focus on his meal but HyungJoon wasn't letting up, continuously asking him questions about details of the dreams. After a particular disturbing one, HyunJoong reached over the table and cuffed him upside the head. "Now you're just being gross," he snapped, ignoring the looks other people in the cafe were giving them. "If you don't knock it off, I'm going to tell YoungSaeng all about your little fantasies you've written and have stored on your laptop."

"You wouldn't," HyungJoon's eyes went wide and he gaped at HyunJoong.

"I would. You two need to stop dancing around each other by the way, it's getting irritating," HyunJoong went back to his meal and luckily the younger didn't bring it up again. After a long stretch of silence HyunJoong sighed, setting down his chopsticks. "If you really want to know, then yes, there have been more dreams. No, I'm not giving you any details. You'll have to pry them out of YoungSaeng, who apparently has very loose lips to go along with his morals."

"You're very critical of him," HyungJoon frowned, but didn't bring up the dreams again.

"Of course I am, I'm his best friend," HyunJoong focused on eating.

"I'm going to stop trying," HyungJoon said quietly and HyunJoong looked up at him. He frowned lightly at the younger and sighed.

"This is the part where I'm supposed to tell you to just keep trying, he'll come around eventually, but I know how he is," HyunJoong said, setting down his chopsticks. "You should try meeting someone else, go on a real date."

"I know you're right, but I can't help but like him," HyungJoon sighed, pouting down at his half eaten lunch. His head snapped back up and he scowled at HyunJoong. "We were talking about you and the redhead, what was his name? JungMal?"

"JungMin," HyunJoong laughed, shaking his head. "I'll call him, soon, I promise. Everyone needs to stop bugging me about it."

"You don't have the best track record when it comes to follow up's remember," HyungJoon said, sitting back in his chair.

"I'll call him," HyunJoong glared. He would call him. He had a feeling these dreams weren't going to leave him alone unless he did.

---------

The burning incense was making it hard for him to concentrate on the details he was supposed to be filling in. Everytime he closed his eyes, the room spun and he had to grip the brush to keep it from falling from his trembling fingers. It wasn't like he couldn't just finish this in the morning, but he was almost done.

He had been bent over the canvas for hours before he finally sat back, easing his aching muscles and throwing the brush down in frustration. It would just have to be finished in the morning, he sighed and started to rub at his , looking over the paining. At least it wasn't to be shipped for another few days, he couldn't afford another deadline missed.

"Something wrong Master?" A voice said from behind him and he turned to look over his shoulder at the apprentice who was dousing the incense burners for the night.

"No, was just hoping I could finish this tonight but it will have to wait till tomorrow," he stood up, picking up the dropped brush and placed it in the jar of cleaning solution. "Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

"Someone has to stay awake to make sure you're taken care of, sir," the apprentice smiled, leaning against the archway that led to his bedroom. "If you're retiring for the night I'll go to bed."

"I haven't excused you yet," he said, walking towards him and taking the younger's chin in his hand.

"My mistake," the apprentice was still smiling, staring into his eyes. "Would you like me to massage your back sir?"

Leading the apprentice in towards the bed, he slid onto it on his belly and waited for the other to climb onto the bed with him. The apprentice's hands were sliding over his sweat dampened skin, kneading into the knots and easing away the aches. he wasn't at all surprised when the hands began to remove his clothing and roamed uninhibited over sensitive areas. 

He moaned appreciatively at the lips that replaced the hands until the apprentice was pressed against his back and there mouths were caught in an awkward angled kiss. He didn't protest when he was lifted to his knees and the hands were roaming over his chest as the other moved against him.

"JungMin...." he moaned


HyunJoong sat up in bed, sheets damp with sweat and his heart racing in his chest. Once again his body was aching for a touch that had felt so real. Scooting to sit on the edge of the bed, he closed his eyes, thinking of a man he had briefly met, his name again and again until he was spent. Afterwards he felt better physically, but he couldn't get the image of JungMin out of his mind. 

----------

There were only two ways HyunJoong had found that would help him relax and clear his mind. As much as he enjoyed exercising, he did often admit to himself that the other way was much more satisfying on a primal level. As it was, he couldn't seem to get those dreams out of his head while he was exercising, which did nothing to help him relax. If anything it only exacerbated the situation. He especially avoided the types of moves that were too much like a act, just for his own sanity.

Luckily, the gym was mostly empty early in the morning, it being a Saturday most people preferred to sleep in than come in and work out. Normally he wouldn't be here this early either, but after a week straight of dreams that ended with him in a compromising position with some man who always reminded him of JungMin, he had been itching to exercise out his frustrations.

"Need a spot?" The baritone voice from behind caught him off guard and HyunJoong whirled around to look right into the face of the very person he had been thinking of. He caught the weight he had almost dropped not a moment too soon.

"J-jungMin," he managed to get out, getting the weight secured to the bar finally. "I didn't know you were a member here." He tried for all the world to not sound like he was shocked to see the red head.

"HyunJoong?" JungMin tilted his head to the side in amusement, as if he had just noticed who it was he had been talking to. "You didn't call," the man pouted, and HyunJoong resisted the very strong urge to kiss those pouting lips. Why was he thinking about kissing the man? He knew nothing about him, and no, the dreams did not count.

"Yeah, sorry," HyunJoong shook his head when he realized JungMin was waiting for an explanation. "I was going to call you today actually, once I was done here. For a drink." He wanted to add 'and then back to my place so I can bend you over the couch' but he didn't think that would have been polite.

"I'd love to," JungMin was beaming, although it looked a little smug the way his eyes crinkled at the corners.

"I'm sorry, what?" HyunJoong blinked, hoping like hell he hadn't said that last part out loud.

"Go out. For a drink," JungMin laughed, patting HyunJoong on the shoulder. HyunJoong tried not to shiver; it came out as more of a flinch anyway. "Are you okay HyunJoong? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Oh, no, I'm fine," HyunJoong shook his head, trying to give a relaxed smile. "I just haven't been sleeping very well."

"Nightmares?" JungMin frowned, looking worried.

"Something like that," HyunJoong gave a hesitant laugh and scratched at the back of his head. "So, drink then? How about at eight, at the bar around the corner."

"Eight it is," JungMin nodded. "I'll see you then, HyunJoong," he said, giving him another smile before turning to walk towards the locker room, his hands clasped behind his back.

------------

It was a quarter to seven and HyunJoong had already showered, shaved, and was dressed to go. He'd even picked up his apartment a little, just in case. Now he was just anxiously wandering around, stopping to look at the clock every few seconds, nearly jumping out of his skin when his phone rang in his pocket. Fishing it out, he didn't even have to look at the display to know who it was.

"What," he said, starting to pace again.

"Are you going to him?" YoungSaeng teased on the other end.

"Why would I even tell you that?" HyunJoong rolled his eyes. "Are you going to HyungJoon?"

"Not nice, nor relevant," YoungSaeng sniffed. "Besides, he's got a date tonight."

"My heart is aching for you," HyunJoong sighed. "Is this what you called me for? You've been toying with him for months, you couldn't expect him to wait forever."

"You're always so pleasant when you haven't been laid in a while," YoungSaeng said testily. "Get him good and drunk HyunJoong. If I call back in the morning and you don't have after voice I'm going to be very disappointed in the both of you."

"Hanging up now," HyunJoong warned and YoungSaeng laughed in his ear.

"Fine fine, are you going to tell him about the dreams?" YoungSaeng asked

"Doubt it, it's not polite conversation," HyunJoong scowled, trying very hard to not think about the dreams, or whatever they were, right before the date.

"Oh come on, you have to at least tell him the cowboy one, that one was my favorite! I mean, who would have thought you would do that on a horse," YoungSaeng was laughing again, clearly amused by HyunJoong's plight.

"You're not helping YoungSaeng, not helping at all, I have to go," HyunJoong grumbled, looking at the clock. At least the conversation had taken up some of his wait time.

"Okay, have fun, call me in the morning," YoungSaeng said, and HyunJoong hung up. He took one last look in the mirror before heading out the door.

-------

JungMin was already waiting for him, that same gray wool coat on, this time paired with black pinstriped slacks. HyunJoong half wondered how good those impossibly long legs would look hooked around his waist, before shaking his head to clear his mind. Not a good time for those thoughts, not if he wanted to get through this evening without having to sit cross legged the entire time.

"You clean up very nicely," JungMin said with a smile, leaning casually against the bar with a drink in hand. "I hope you don't mind that I started without you."

"Not at all," HyunJoong said, standing next to him at the bar, probably a little closer than he had meant, but the noise from the other patrons was loud enough to justify being that close. "I'm sorry if I kept you waiting." He motioned to the bartender for a beer.

"I have a little confession to make," JungMin said once they were seated at a table in a quiet part of the bar. "I may have a small idea as to why you're familiar to me."

"Oh?" HyunJoong blinked, looking at him questioningly. He wondered, for just a brief moment if JungMin had been having the dreams as well, but that was crazy. Not that the dreams themselves had been sane to begin with, but sharing dreams? Now he was just being silly. "Well, I have a confession to make too then, you go first," HyunJoong took a long pull on his beer. Why had he just said that?

"You're going to think I'm crazy," JungMin laughed, his finger tracing around the edge of his glass. He was leaning across the table, chin in his hand as he grinned at HyunJoong. "See, I've been having these-"

"Dreams?" HyunJoong blurted out, unable to help himself and realizing how much of a mistake that had been when JungMin blinked at him. "Er.. I mean.. uh.. sorry, go on."

"I was going to say weird cravings for coffee, and I don't even like coffee," JungMin said slowly, eyes still on him. "You were familiar to me because I'd seen you at the coffee shop on my way to work sometimes." He pushed the drink out of his way, clasping his hands in front of him on the table and leaned forward. "So, tell me, why did you say dreams?"

"It's stupid, just forget I said it," HyunJoong was hiding behind his drink, wishing he could crawl into a little hole now.

-------

Somehow, they had ended up back at HyunJoong's apartment. JungMin had let the dream comment go and they chatted and flirted and had more drinks than HyunJoong could count. At his apartment, he fumbled with the keys to get the door open but managed it after a moment with an embarrassed with smile at JungMin.

Inside he pulled off his coat, heading to the kitchen. "Would you like some wine?" He asked, and JungMin nodded, closing the door behind him. HyunJoong watched him for a moment move about the room. All long legs and graceful movements of his hips until he snapped out of it and remembered what he was supposed to be doing. Pouring them both a glass in the kitchen, he rejoined JungMin who was now seated on a couch, one leg crossed over the other and went to hand him the glass.

"So," JungMin said, his fingers brushing against HyunJoong's as he accepted the glass. That bright smile had a coy twist to it and he was staring into his eyes. "Tell me about these dreams."

HyunJoong stared at him, not entirely comprehending and he swallowed roughly, trying to laugh. He pulled his hand back and sat down in a chair opposite the couch. "It's nothing, I was just.." he fumbled for something to say, some kind of excuse, but JungMin's eyes were boring holes into his head and he couldn't bring himself to lie. "You're going to think I'm crazy...."

HyunJoong sipped nervously at his wine, the room quiet now that he was done explaining about the dreams. He'd started off simply, just glossing over what the dreams had been, but the more he talked the more detail he gave until at the end he was just rambling. The entire time, JungMin had continued to stare at him, his expression unreadable.

"You forgot one," JungMin said after the stretch of silence.

"No, I... what?" HyunJoong's head snapped up to look at JungMin, who was smiling now and sipping at the wine.

"You didn't mention the first one, the one where you were a Pharaoh and I was a a priest of some sort," JungMin said, his brow creased in thought. "You had just married your cousin, or your sister or something, I don't quite remember what relation she was to you and you came to the priests for guidance."

"I.... I didn't have that one," HyunJoong stared at JungMin wide eyed. How could they have had the same dreams? Was that even possible? 

"Shame, I rather liked that one," JungMin set his glass down on the table and leaned back, his arms stretched out and resting on the back of the couch.

"What does it mean?" HyunJoong asked, tilting his head slightly to take in JungMin's pose on the couch.

"Hell if I know," JungMin shrugged, laughing. "All I know is, they were y as hell, and truth be told, I was more than a little curious if it would be the same now."

There was silence again as HyunJoong considered his words. He had never been much of a cautious person in his life, and quite like JungMin, he was curious. Shrugging as well, he set down his glass and stood up. "Can't say I'm not curious as well," he smirked, moving towards the man on the couch. JungMin had that devious grin again and he uncrossed his legs. Pressing one leg into the cushion next to him, HyunJoong leaned over the redhead, running a hand up JungMin's thigh as he pressed their lips together.

There was a flurry of limbs and tearing off clothes after that first long deep kiss. They stumbled their way into HyunJoong's bedroom, breaking off only when clothing removal was a hindrance to lips locked together. Collapsing on to the bed, they tasted and teased at each other's skin, hands gripping sensitive areas. Teeth scraped and tongues lapped until they were roiling together, connected in the most intimate of ways.

Maybe it had been the dreams that incited the passion, made it feel as if it was an affair being rekindled after many years apart. It was passionate, and exciting, and even several hours later when they were exhausted, sore, and sated many times over they didn't want it to end. Only the limits of what their bodies were capable of hindered continuing.

----------

HyunJoong didn't dream that night, or if he did, it wasn't worth remembering when he woke to find JungMin still curled up beside him. Smiling to himself, he placed a kiss to the man's broad shoulders as he untangled his legs from the others and slid out of bed. 

Throwing on a pair of sweats he padded out to the living room to go through the pockets of his coat. Finding his phone, he scrolled through his contacts and called the number he was looking for. Sitting down on the coach, he stifled a yawn as the other end picked up.

"What," YoungSaeng grumbled on the other end. "If this isn't a 'I had the greatest night of ever phone call' I'm hanging up."

"Guess you don't need to hang up then," HyunJoong chuckled,shifting to lay down on the cushion.

"About time," YoungSaeng said, his voice sounding much happier. "You owe me details later."

"What, you're too busy now?" HyunJoong smirked, shaking his head.

"Let's just say you're not the only one who had a great night last night," YoungSaeng mused lightheartedly. "HyungJoon's date didn't go so well."

"You sound a little too happy about that. Are you done toying with him now?" HyunJoong sighed.

"I could be persuaded to give it a try," YoungSaeng laughed. "Last night may have been enough persuasion though honestly."

"I'm happy for the both of you," HyunJoong replied. "Are you going to stop meddling in my love life now?"

"I will, soon as I meet this mystery dream lover of yours," YoungSaeng said. 

"Yes, yes, we'll get together for drinks or something," HyunJoong stifled another yawn, he was ready to go back to sleep now.

"It's a date. Go back and join your new boy toy, we'll talk later," YoungSaeng said and they hung up.

For a long few minutes HyunJoong lay where he was on the couch. He still wasn't sure what to make of what the dreams. Were they just that: dreams? Or were they something more. Sitting back up, he pushed himself off the couch and headed back into his bedroom. He crawled back into bed to curl up around JungMin again who was stirring into wakefulness. Peering down at the sleepy face, he smiled and leaned down to kiss him again. 

Whatever the dreams were, they had a lifetime to figure them out.