i.

The Diary of Mijoo Lee [Hiatus]

1960, Somewhere in England.

Drifting, the saturated clouds has blotted out the sun’s presence, produced a rain shower and left behind water droplets to damp whatever the wind took it. The steadiness of the outdoor weather was so calm, that with the window it would have been mistaken as a gloomy painting sitting alone on the bricked wall, in a boring room that belonged to two. Both Asians of the chamber, that could accommodate for four boys, were occupied by his own hobbies.

Woohyun Nam, black hair with sharp Korean facial features, was turning eighteen and his birthday was in a few weeks and so was his mother’s. Hence every year he always prepares a present for his lovely mother. Thus after settling down on his creaking, one mattress cot closest to the window, Woohyun put his artistry of pencil-sketching into good use by drawing from a source—a black and white photograph of his mother, younger brother, and him—that fit in his hand. The graphite smears around Woohyun’s fingers prove that even with skills, pencil sketching is never a tidy task.

It has been five years since he last set foot in his hometown, or his homeland for that matter. Which makes Woohyun desperate to do a very fine job with the artwork to make up for all the time he had missed out. The image reminded him of his good, old childhood days. So if he could, he would fly to Korea at any moment given. But it wasn’t Korea that Woohyun misses, it was the sight and voices of his friends and family. He missed being in their presences and being able to touch, see, hear, and be with them every day.

Though walking, running, and chattering were all audible outside of their opened door, the noise that woke Woohyun completely was his roommate, who has got off of his own bed and ran to the window.

“The headmistress is back!”

Woohyun glanced over, by the window his buddy Kibum Kim who goes by the English name Key was looking out the damped glass. In the same age boy’s hand was the comic book he has been indulged by. For a moment the scene reminded Woohyun of his and Key’s differences. Woohyun loved the winter season because he loved the rain and colorless skies. His roommate, however, hated it because of his glasses. Rain and dew are inconvenient for his vision, glasses, and books when he wants to be out and about.

Woohyun had left the photo and his drawing on the surface of his blue blankets when he joined the boy at the window. Together they observed the outside scene from the second floor. A beaver colored Bentley pulled into the driveway and quickly the chauffeur exit the vehicle, and ran around the front. In the back seat, the driver opened the door for a woman. Stepping out of the car was a nicely dressed Asian woman, a lady prepared for the cold weather. Just like the color of the Bentley, the woman was clad in a dark chocolate, long jacket with fur around the collar.

It was no surprised to Woohyun as boys gathered at nearby windows to welcome their dean. Afterall they were boys and the headmistress was eye candy despite being in her late 30s. Every boy were excited to see her return, all but Key. When Woohyun first met Key, the boy claimed there was something strange about the headmistress, whether it be her ageless appearance or her unchanging expression. At first, Woohyun thought Key was looking too much into it; he thought nothing strange of their lady dean. They say her youthful and flawless skin was genetic as her older, unseen brother was also an attractive man. And her never changing facial has to do with her needing to stay professional. Or it could be, she’s fed up with all of the attention given to her that even without a smile, she’s positive that she’s able to capture a man’s heart. Whatever it was, there was one thing Woohyun found odd. Her connection with the abandoned building next door.

She would not say the word but she has forbid everyone from going near the construction or even question it. Of course, as time passes, students forgot all about the school until they were indoor free.

“Do you remember what I told you? On the night before she left the school?” Key asked calmly. Woohyun look over and wait for him to continue as he didn’t feel like answering or trying to recall the moment. “I heard a scream,” there was a long pause as Woohyun set his eyes on his roommate waiting for the boy with glasses to finish, “it was the headmistress’s scream,” Woohyun could feel the chills creeping on him until someone stopped at their door and said—shouted;

“Key! Woohyun! Hurry, come, the headmistress is holding an assembly!” A British boy hollered. In the hallway, they could hear running and stomping as bodies squeezed through to get front seats, seats closer to the headmistress. Woohyun suddenly felt the urge to join the wave but stop when he noticed Key heading back and settling on his bed. The boy laid on his stomach and pulled out his book then began reading again.

In the three years that Woohyun had known Key, the Korean boy was always active in school activities, events, and attended every assembly whether they were mandatory or not. But after the promotion of the new headmistress, Key has dropped out of anything having to do with him contributing to the school. The new dean never noticed, of course, but every boy at the school including the janitor, Mr. Wilkins, and cook lady Ms. Kelly realized his unexplained changes. And when they questioned him why, Key simply answered, “I just don’t feel like doing it anymore,” a short answer that was easily accepted with no questions ask.

“Are you not going to this rally too?” Woohyun asked, knowing he has some time before the event start.

Key hummed, “Can you shut the door on your way out? Thanks,”

Without any objection Woohyun did what was asked of him. Thankfully he was the last one in the hall; there wasn't any pushing or shoving for him.

When Woohyun arrived on the first floor, the assembly room was flooded with three columns of six pews in each row. All the benches in the front were taken and there were very little empty space left. However, near the door, Woohyun found an open seat next to a large red-headed boy. As the teen sat down, he scanned the room for familiar faces. He noticed that his small group of friends were in the front all eyes and ears directly ahead, as the pretty headmistress stood straight and tall on the stage. “Any last gentleman or teachers coming in, please shut the doors behind you,” she said through the mic on the podium before her.

As the few boys who were late entered the room, they kicked and remove the wooden door stoppers, allowing the two large doors to completely sealed itself. And the two pews set aside and aligned with the walls were occupied by teachers who taught at the school. Once the room silent down, the woman placed her hand on the podium before leaning over the mic. “First of all it’s good to be back. I miss you guys and the school,” finally a small smile was seen on her peach lips, “during my absence I was told everyone was on their best behaviour. So I would like to reward good behaviours,”

The boys began to cheer until the teachers on the sidelines quiet them down.

“Starting this year, I would like to make it even more memorable for our seniors. I will allow everyone to go home a day earlier for the upcoming vacation,” the cheering and excitement halted her from finishing again, then quickly she went on to stop them, “please contact your parents or guardians to inform them of this special treatment as well. As for teachers, they will stay a day behind in case you students need them. Now that that’s been said and done, I will like to move on future events for when everyone return,”

As the rally carried on for nearly an hour, Woohyun and the boys remained attentive and even livelier. Without any expectation from the few four or five boys who did not attend the rally, the small party had started to spread a new rumor. And once the whole crowd was let loose from the assembly, the school was shaken by the news.

“They say Key saw a girl in the fields. A girl in a white dress near that haunted school over there,”

A/N: Not much of a storyteller but with Halloween coming up why not write a horror/dark story while I'm in the mood?

Please let me know what your thoughts are below :D

I promise the story won't be ghosts or spirits driven so don't click away!