Everyone

Second Generation

Monday morning.

The bell rings as the freshmen were all heading to the basketball court.

Rose was sitting on a bench near the park in front of the college building while sipping her hot chocolate as she finish reading The Catcher in the Rye, her all time favorite book. When suddenly someone came and sit next to her while peeking at her book.

“Whatcha reading there?” says the person.

It was none other than Jennie. Rose’s best friend. They were friends since they were little kids, cause their moms were also close friends since high school. Jennie was Rose’s first best friend after her family moved to Seoul from Australia when she was 10 years old. After Rose’s mom left her when she was 16, they would take turn sleeping over at each other’s house cause their houses were not far. But since Rose’s father came back to Australia, they would often sleep at Rose’s. They would sleep at Jennie’s if they know her mother doesn’t get drunk and complains about how childish her younger boyfriend is all night long, cause they wouldn’t be able to sleep.

“Don’t tell me that’s the book about the boy who wanted to escape or something, that you’ve read like a hundred times already.” Jennie rolled her eyes, but Rose didn’t say a word and kept reading the book.

“Anyway, you’re in tonight, right?” Jennie asked while fixing her make up.

“I don’t remember we had plans tonight.” Rose says while her eyes kept on reading.

“I texted you the invitation last night, silly. Don’t you read it?”

“Think I’ll skip it this time.” Rose answered.

“Aw come on Rosieee.. Everyone will be there. Plus, when was the last time you went out without a book in your hand?”

“The last time I got out with you, we ended up being grounded by your mom for breaking her precious crystals while sneaking into your bedroom at 4 in the morning, Jen.”

“See? It was yearssss ago. My mom probably forgot about that.”

“It was last week, Jen.”

“I’ll pick you up at 8, alright? Now come on let’s head to the court.”

 

Both of them were in the hallway heading to the basketball court until they heard someone shouting.

“HEY JEN JEN, ROSIE! WAIT UP!” It was Bobby, running to catch up with the girls and leaving Hanbin behind.

Bobby was Jennie’s best buddy along with Hanbin. The three are partners in crime. They would go to underground nightclubs even at school night or crashing into someone’s party. Bobby wraps both of his arms casually around Rose and Jennie while Hanbin walks behind them.

“Hey Jen jen, where were you last night? I turned my head for like 5 minutes and you were gone.” Bobby asks.

“I left early, so I could wake up earlier this morning to do my hair since it’s the first day of college.” Jennie says while lifting Bobby’s hand from her shoulders.

“Bummer. Anyway, you girls are in tonight right? It’s gonna be lit!!”

“Yeah, you girls coming right?” Hanbin adds.

“Whatevs.” Jen and Rose answer.

 

Jennie was strolling around the court until she saw Jisoo’s hand waving, motioning them to sit right next to her. They head straight to Jisoo to sit together. Rose sit next to Jisoo on her right side, while Bobby, Jennie, and Hanbin sit on the upper bleachers. On Jisoo’s left side, there was a skinny girl with blonde hair.

“Oh guys, this is Lisa.” Jisoo introduce the skinny girl sitting on her left side to her friends. “We’re in the same major, I met her while we were registering our classes a few days ago.” Lisa just smiled.

“What’s up Lisa, I’m Bobby.”

“Hey, I’m Jennie.”

“I’m Hanbin”

“Rose”

“Hi. I’m Lisa. Nice to meet you guys.” She says with a bright smile. Lisa is new in town, she just transferred from Thailand cause her dad got a job here in Seoul. Everything is new to her but she was glad to meet Jisoo on her first day and was introduced to the rest of the gang.

 

The dean arrives and gave a few speeches for welcoming the freshmen. He then talks about the clubs that we could join to collect extra activity points that will be calculate at the end of each year. Just a few minutes before the dean finish up his speech, the door suddenly open and everyone’s eyes was heading towards the door to see who it is.

Junhoe and Jaehyun were entering the court, heading straight to the most top of the bleachers. Junhoe just walks in and looking at his steps while Jaehyun looks around the room as if he didn’t know why everyone was glaring at them.

The dean leaning on his assistant and whisper to him asking, “Who are those punks?” the assistant answers, “It’s Jung Jae Hyun, sir. The grandchild of Jung Soo Man, our top stake holder. And the other one is his friend, Koo Junhoe.” The dean didn’t say a word and just nodding while staring at the two.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Earlier this morning----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Koo Junhoe and Jung Jaehyun were on each of their headphones, lying down on the garden bench near the green house at the college building rooftop when the bell rings. Their eyes were closed as they were reminiscing the old days as high school students.

“We would be knocking at Mr. Lee’s class hundreds of time before rushing to our class. Then left him confused when opening the door and laughing at his face at this time.” Jaehyun says while still closing his eyes.

“Those old days.” Junhoe replied.

Both of them were aware of the bell ringing, but they choose to ignore it. They just wanna lay down until their first class of college starts.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Back at the court-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As they sit down, Jaehyun finds Rose staring at them and shaking her head. Jaehyun replies with a bright smile.

The dean finishes his welcoming speech and told everyone they could leave the court now to head to their classes. While other students were heading outside the court, Jaehyun and Junhoe head towards Rose and the rest of the gang.

“Where were you guys earlier?!” Jennie asks with high tone.

“We didn’t hear the bell rings.” Junhoe answer.

“Bet you guys had those headphones stuck on your ears.” Bobby adds.

“So, I’ll see you guys tonight, right?” Jaehyun making sure everyone is nodding their heads.

After high fiving everyone, each of them heads to their own classes.

 

It was 10 minutes before her last class is finish when Rose asks her lecturer to excuse her to the ladies room. She goes outside and head towards the stairs. She finds herself reaching the top of the building and opens the door. She goes to the rooftop, and reaching out her packs of cigarette. She lights up the cigarette when suddenly there was a man’s voice.

“Why do you always find our secret hideout place?” Jaehyun ask with a smile while exhaling his last cigarette.

“It’s not a secret hideout if everyday the gardening club would come here and check the green house, stupid.” Rose exhales her cigarette.

“Whatevs. Why are you skipping your class anyway?”

“My class ends in 5 minutes, ask that to yourself.”

“Whatevs. I’m going downstairs. I’ll see you tonight”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Text from: JenJen

 

I’ll be there in 5 minutes. Get dress!

 

Rose was already dressed in her pale pink long sleeves shirt, black high-waisted black shorts and her black 6-hole docmart boots. As she puts on her lipstick, Jennie’s car was already park outside her house. Rose heads outside her house and finds Jennie in her pink sequined crop top, black high-waisted black shorts and her favorite black knee high boots leaning back to her car while waiting.

“Gosh! You look great!” Jennie says, admiring her best friend.

Rose is just smiling heading towards Jennie’s car and goes inside.

 

They arrive at the address given on the invitation and park the car. They meet Hanbin, Jisoo, and Lisa outside. Bobby was already inside the house. The owner of the house slash the host of the party is Song Mino, their senior whom Bobby already been friends with since high school.

As they head inside, Jaehyun arrives with his cousin.

“Hey guys, what are ya still doing outside?” Jaehyun asks.

“We also just got here. Who’s that?” Jennie asks to Jaehyun referring to the guys next to Jaehyun.

“He’s my cousin, Ten. Ten, these are my friends.” Jaehyun introduce Ten, while Ten waves his hands at the gang.

“Just the two of you?” Rose asks.

“Yeah, why?” Jaehyun confused.

“Nothing, let’s head inside.”

Then everyone went inside the house. Mino’s house was already pilled up with other students. The music was so loud, you could hear it from outside, there’s DJ set, tons of foods, drinks, games, and he even had some lighting decorations.

Bobby was already playing beer pong with Mino, then Jennie joins him while Hanbin and Jisoo is cheering for them.

 

Rose went outside with her beer. She reach her packs of cigarette inside her purse, picks one and put it on , but suddenly remembers that she didn’t bring her lighter when suddenly someone lights up her cigarette for her. It was Junhoe.

“Thanks.” Rose says.

“Why are you outside?” Junhoe asks.

“Just need some fresh air.”

“Rose, about last night…”

“Could we not talk about it?”

 

Lisa was strolling around Mino’s house while holding her tequila, it was the hugest house she had ever been into. She browses the house from the living room, guest bedroom, bathroom, and went to the kitchen. She sees a few canned foods on the marbled table and began to arrange them as colored. She had this habit of arranging things since she was little and would feel anxious if something doesn’t go as arranged.

Ten suddenly shows up and approaches Lisa while being curios of what she’s doing.

“What are you doing?” Ten asks.

“Arranging.” Lisa answers.

“But that’s not even yours nor this is your house”

“Unsorted things hurt my eyes.” Lisa replies.

Ten finds it strange and figures that Lisa is something. He then ask Lisa to look for the swimming pool with him cause he heard it was huge and Lisa agree. So, they both went to the swimming pool.

 

The next morning Jisoo was the first one to wake up seeing all of them were asleep in the living room. She looks at the time showing 6 am in the morning and her eyes grew bigger. She tries to wake Jennie up and then Lisa so they could wake everyone up. Everyone was still half asleep when suddenly they hear the sound of a machine parks outside Mino’s house. It was Mino’s parents, they came back early and are heading inside their home. Everyone panics and rushes to get their things before sneaking out of Mino’s house from the backyard. They all head towards Jennie’s car and went inside. As they drive home to each of their houses, they were still half awake and blurred out about what happened last night.