Chapter 7

Canadian boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, he dreamed so intensely that when he woke up, his whole body was sore, his head was massively dizzy, and he had the biggest morning wood he'd ever gotten in his life. The last part he wasn't sure why – he was pretty sure his dreams were purely emotional, but he couldn't remember the details because they'd been so intense. Sunlight was streaming in powerful glowing rays through the slits in the window blinds, letting him know it was another nice day. The room was uncomfortably hot and he was sweating. His blankets had been kicked to the ground and he realized he was lying sprawled all the way across the bed. His shirt had also disappeared.

Then Haechan caught a wiff of something delicious, like roasted almonds. Curious, he pushed himself up. And realized he wasn't in his own room.

Oh ! Haechan scrambled around and realized his shirt was underneath him. What is this doing here?! When did it come off?! Then his stomach growled, and he doubled over with a groan as it cramped in longing hunger. Whatever…Rolling off the bed as usual, he crawled over to his duffle bag in the corner and dragged out a change of clothes, then headed into the bathroom for a quick morning shower.

Fifteen minutes later, Haechan headed down the stairs in khaki shorts and a white t-shirt, his hair towel-dried and sticking up everywhere and his morning well taken care of. Aside from the television – sounded like a kids show – it was suspiciously quiet, and Haechan stopped to peer cautiously into the kitchen.

Mark was leaning casually against the kitchen island, watching the pot of oatmeal in front of him with hazy eyes, apparently having nothing better to do. His hands were tucked in the same camouflage shorts and he was wearing a white vest hoodie. In the family room beyond, Haechan could see Pororo playing on the television and guessed their siblings were there.

Steeling himself, Haechan slipped into the kitchen. "Hey."

Mark's head jerked up like he'd been pulled from a dream. His eyes widened for a moment, like he'd forgotten Haechan was there, but then he smiled warmly. "Morning. Is oatmeal okay?"

"Sure." Haechan said, ruffling his hair self-consciously. As he sat down in one of the bar stools, he saw that the oven clock read ten-thirty.

Mark grabbed them two bowls and Haechan frowned at the second one as the red-haired boy bent back down to look for spoons.

"You haven't eaten?"

"No, I was waiting for you." Mark stood back up and placed a shiny spoon beside each bowl, then grabbed the pot and poured equal portions of oatmeal for them. "Don't worry," he added in response to Haechan's deepening frown. "I haven't been up that long. It was too hot and I couldn't go back to sleep."

"Yeah, it's getting warm." Haechan agreed off-handedly.

"Sugar?" Mark offered, holding up a jug of sugar cubes.

Haechan shook his head.

"Suit yourself." Shrugging, Mark popped several into his bowl and placed the jug back into the cupboards, then took a seat beside Haechan.

"When did Haneul wake up?" Haechan said, still feeling a little sluggish. As if on cue, he heard a spurt of laughter from the living room.

"After I came downstairs, they wandered down." Mark replied.

"Oh." Haechan said, and decided to concentrate on not burning his tongue.

After breakfast, they washed the dishes and Mark brought orange juice for their siblings. Haechan borrowed the blow dryer for a minute to dry up the rest of his hair, and while he was upstairs he packed their things back into his duffel bag. Returning downstairs, he prepared himself to suggest leaving, but the moment he walked into the kitchen, Haneul jumped up to him and gave him a hug.

"Good morning oppa!"

"Morning." Haechan said, a little warily. Haneul was rarely this sweet unless she wanted something.

Haneul looked up at him with wide brown eyes. "You're such a good brother. We should show Mark and Timmy around town!"

So that's it. Annoyed, Haechan nudged her forehead with his finger. "Silly, there's nothing to show."

"Yeah there is!" Haneul said indignantly, pulling away from him and crossing her arms with a pout. "We can go swimming!"

"Haneul, you don't even like swimming." Haechan pointed out irritably.

"Yes I do!" Haneul squealed indignantly, squeezing her unicorn.

Haechan sighed and opened his mouth, then sighed again and gave Mark a look.

Mark, snapping out of his daze again, gave him a smile. "Why not?"

Timmy's eyes widened and he hurriedly gulped the rest of his orange juice, gasping. "Yes please!" He said excitedly. "I haven't gone swimming in ages!"

Looking helplessly at the eager faces in front of him, Haechan slumped defeatedly against the wall and looked up at the ceiling. "I have to get our swimming suits. And we'll have to walk there…"

"No problem." Mark said, patting his pocket. "Why don't you head back to your house to ask your parents and get your stuff? I'll take care of Haneul. We can meet up in front of your house."

Haechan gave him a look, then gave Haneul a look. "Are you sure?" He said skeptically.

"I'll make sure she behaves herself!" Timmy boasted, trying to flex his little arms.

Mark chuckled. "I'll take good care of her."

"Yeah," Haneul added.

Haechan bit his lip, then picked his duffel bag up and slid the strap over his shoulder. "Alright, I'll be quick. Jeez…" he shook his head. "You guys." He headed out the door, pulling it shut to the sound of their laughter.

......................

 

"Mmm, the smell of chlorine."

Haechan stopped short and gave Mark an incredulous look, but the boy just looked back and grinned.

"What? I used to work out at the pool back in Canada. It was one of the most luxurious places in town." He stopped at the end of the hall, looking between the three doors. "So uh, which one?"

"We need to go i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter