Art Incarnate

Art Incarnate

“Yoongi’s in art history, right?”

Tilting your head in confusion, you slightly nodded at the random question your friend had asked you as you turned around to face her better. The two of you were just chilling in the auditorium, seeing as theatre rehearsal just finished. You didn’t really know her too too well, only really aware of the fact that her boyfriend was also on the basketball team that yours was on.

“Yeah…” you responded to her question, glancing down at your phone’s wallpaper to check the time.

Of course, an adorable picture of him stared right back at you. Whenever he was bored (with access to your phone), he liked to leave you little surprises in the forms of new wallpapers. Of course, he never mentioned or even brought the little antics up in conversation, something that you thought was just so cute. You didn’t really mind the gesture- you returned it in exactly the same way.

“Why?” you asked her back, starting to pack up your things as she stood up as well.

It just so happened that basketball practices met on the same days and times as the theatre ones, so all four of you would always meet up afterwards. Some days, you and your friend made your way over to the sports center, and others, the boys would come over to the auditorium to get you. Today was one of those days, and if your calculations were right, the boys would be arriving in about five or so minutes.

“At least one male in this school has an appreciation for the arts! I swear, all my boyfriend does and talks about is sports, and athletes, and strategies!” she ranted in her usual manner, causing you to laugh at the way she was currently expressing her frustrations.

You knew that she was a bit salty about what had happened over the recent weekend. She had wanted to go to the nearby art museum with her boyfriend to check out the new exhibit as it opened, but he wasn’t in the mood for the trip, stating that it would be too crowded and also mentioning that there was a really important sports game that he wanted to watch live. It was obvious that she was disappointed, but you knew that she would bounce right back. They were an interesting match- one that people never really saw coming.

“Sometimes it’s like he appreciates art too much!” you offhandedly joke with a half smile.

“You should hear him go on and on about the different types of historical periods and how they influenced the world’s most iconic pieces.”

As much as you supported his love of the arts, at times you couldn’t help but feel like you were only second place to the inanimate objects. The way his eyes would sparkle and his tone would raise whenever he mentioned art made you happy, but it was a double-sided feeling. On one hand, you loved to see his passion flare, but at the same time, that attention that went towards art would make you jealous.

“Ohhhhhh I totally get you!” she nodded fiercely in agreement.

While you didn’t mention your feelings outright, she had no problems with venting about how she usually felt like her boyfriend only valued sports in her life. Going on about feeling neglected, she pouted and mused on different types of activities she and her boyfriend could try out that would satisfy and engage the both of them. You knew better than to interrupt her, so you just let her go on and on.

“What’s a girl to do when her man would rather play ball or look at art instead of his own girl, right?” she sighed rhetorically, signalling the end of her rant.

Patting her back, you heard a loud voice from behind. The noise caused the two of you to turn around, seeing both your boyfriends standing by the door. Gathering all your things, you and your friend made your way over to where the other two stood waiting.

As your friend made her way over to welcome her boyfriend with a hug, you on the other hand just smiled and greeted Yoongi with a small “hey”. The two of you were never really big on public displays of affection at all, rather saving all those kinds of things for when it was just the two of you alone together. Even though people were very aware that both of you were in a relationship, you guys never flaunted it or showed it off at all. It would be a lie to say that you had never thought about doing so, but you also did love the sense of intimacy in the air that your kind of relationship allowed in private.

Giving each other recaps of your day, you both followed the other couple from behind, a slight distance being kept in between. Surprisingly, however, Yoongi took your hand in his, intertwining them. Raising an eyebrow at the gesture, you turned to look at him, confusion on your face.

“We heard the last thing that your friend said,” he explained in a voice low enough that the other two were not privy to the current conversation.

You couldn’t help the embarrassed giggle that quietly escaped your lips. He heard that? Oh gosh… It hadn’t been the first time that your friend’s voice had carried over long distances, and you were positive that with her projection, it wouldn’t be the last time to happen either.

“Oh really…” was all you hummed in reply, not really sure how to drop the embarrassing subject.

Looking down at the ground, your eyes caught a glimpse of his hand with yours. Immediately, you felt a smile on your face, one you shared with Yoongi, who then had no qualms sharing it back.

“For the record… Even if you put me in a room filled with valuable, extravagant art… You would still be the only masterpiece I would stare at.”

 

 

 

 


October 12, 2016