In Memories of Our Encounter

In Memories of Our Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinyoung has known Mark since he was 10 years old. They were registered at the same orphanage at the same time. Unfamiliar with the surroundings and with no one to turn to, they rely on each other. Mark, being a year older, care for Jinyoung like his own brother. The same goes for the latter. It turns out that they both lost their parents and siblings in a car accident and were the only one to survive despite having a major injury to the head.

On one of the quiet nights at the orphanage, Mark called Jinyoung's name in a hushed whisper from the bunk below him. The younger peeked his head towards the bunk above and gave Mark a knowing smile. They snuck out of the dorm and went to their secret base, an old shed behind the orphanage.

This is where they would tell stories about themselves. The ones they could still remember. Mark had said that since the accident, he would often experience moments when he forgets something. Whether it’s what he has done or what he is currently doing. He explained that that’s why he would often stopped doing his chores midway and wander around the building like a lost child. Noticing the worried look directed towards him, Mark ensured Jinyoung with a pat on his back.

“It’s okay, Jinyoung-ah. I’m okay.”

His frown remained and Mark raised an eyebrow.

“Hyung,” the younger began, trying to form the right words to say to Mark after his revelation.

“Can it be healed?”

Mark’s heart fell at the serious tone Jinyoung used when he asked that question. He didn’t even know what he is going through himself, let alone explain it to Jinyoung. He decided to just be honest.

“I’m not sure, Jinyoung-ah. I didn’t even know what’s happening to me right now.”

“Let’s tell the teacher about it. Maybe she knows-“

Mark covered Jinyoung’s mouth with his right hand, signalling that Jinyoung should stop talking. Jinyoung slowly uncovered his mouth, looking at Mark with disappointment in his eyes. "But why?"

Mark could only look at the old wooden walls of the shed, avoiding eye contact with Jinyoung because he's not sure if Jinyoung would understand. "It's just that I'm afraid that it might be something serious. The forgetfulness that I have right now, it might be a sickness that requires lots of money to cure. The orphanage couldn't afford it Jinyoung-ah. I'm already grateful that they welcome us to stay until we are able to provide for ourselves. I don't want to be a burden to them." Jinyoung's gaze moved away from Mark’s to the dirt beneath his feet.

He knew that what Mark had just said was right. It's just that he's having a hard time accepting it. After a few minutes of silence between the two, Jinyoung spoke first. "Okay hyung, but just promise me this. Promise that even when it gets worse, even when you lose all of your memories, you'll still remember me" the desperation in the younger's voice broke Mark's heart.

"I'll take care of you for the rest of my life. I'll provide food and shelter for the two of us so please, just please keep this one promise." Eventhough it's painful, eventhough he's unsure of what the future held for the two of them, Mark gave Jinyoung the brightest smile he could offer.

"I promise"

 

But in the end, he wasn't able to keep it after all. At the age of 30, mark forgets everything and everyone he held dear.

 

It happened on a sunny afternoon. Mark was walking back from the hospital that Jinyoung works in after handing him the documents that he forgot to bring when he got lost in the middle of his walk back home. He tried asking passers-by but when asked about his address he zoned out. Completely forgetting what it was. They'd eventually left him by himself or told him to go to a police station but Mark had no clue where that was. Having no other options left, he wandered the streets by himself to see if he could remember anything but to no avail. As he was walking he realized that he was at a park. Feeling tired after walking for so long, he decided to rest for a bit.

 

He sat on one of the bench and wondered where he is at right now. He looked at his wrist watch, the time now is 9:00 p.m. Mark panicked. He knows he should be home by now or that person will be worried. His expression suddenly twisted into that of confusion.

"Who's going to wait for me again?" he pondered.

"Didn't I live by myself?"

 

It's 10:00 p.m. and he still hasn't found Mark. Jinyoung has been running around the streets near his apartment for 3 hours and he still hasn't caught even a glimpse of the elder. When he arrived home at 8:00 p.m., Jinyoung expected Mark to greet him like he usually does but all he get was an echo of his own voice in the empty apartment. Jinyoung rushed towards the door and ran downstairs, forgetting all of his weariness after working for a whole day.

 

He's worried that Mark might've lost his way. He had offered to send Mark back but the former refused strictly, saying that he didn't want to burden the younger. Jinyoung all but complied with his request and told him to be careful. Mark had shook his head in reassurance.

 

Jinyoung ran out of breath. He tried calling Mark's phone for a few times but he didn't pick up. He must've left his phone when he went out. Since he can't file

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter