One

Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Waitressing at the beachside cafe just got better.

Sure, there’s always the decent pay, free ice cream, and a nice view of the beach, but now there’s also a nice view of hot guys. Hot surfer guys. The attractive pink-haired guy you’ve been ogling for the past hour or so does that celebrity hair flip, except it’s like a bajillion times hotter than when any celebrity does it. You’re about to fan yourself with a plate, but remember just in time that there’s still food on it. Close catch. You give yourself a mental pat on the back.

When you head to the back, Jungkook gives you a judgmental look as he wipes down a countertop. Although he’s typically at the register, he also takes on a bunch of the other jobs, being the son of the owner. Looks like he’s currently on some sort of cleaning duty.

“What?” you say, brushing past him.

“If you think you’re being subtle, you’re not,” he replies, tossing the rag to the side. He steps in front of the kitchen entrance, cornering you before you can make a run for it, or something.

“Subtle? About what?” Even after a good 7 years of friendship, understanding Jungkook is as hard as ever. He rolls his eyes.

“Oh, I don’t know, maybe about staring off into the distance, probably at some hot guy,” he replies. “It’s really obvious. I saw you almost empty that jug of ice water on a kid like, two hours ago, because you were too distracted.”

“Whatever,” you say, making ready to push past him. You have orders to take and food to deliver.

Jungkook snorts but lets you pass. “I hope he’s as hot as you make him to be.”

“He’s hotter than you,” you retort, hurrying into the kitchen.

“HEY–”

//

“Excuse me,” someone behind you calls. “Can you take my order?”

You turn around, pulling out your notepad and– “Oh, it’s you.” It’s the pink haired surfer dude from earlier. He gives you a confused look.

“What?”

“–I mean, uh, never mind. I’ll uh, just take your order. Yeah.”

The guy just laughs, brushing off your Moment of Awkwardness with ease, and orders. He leaves you a hefty tip and a lollipop when he finishes his meal. You like him even more now.

//

“Wait,” Jungkook says, pulling up a stool beside you. You look up from your phone.

“Yeah?”

“You like Taehyung?”

You give him a confused look. “Taehyung?”

“Yeah, you know, the guy who you’ve been drooling over for the past like, two decades.”

“Wh–oh, so that’s what his name is? Pink haired surfer dude?”

Jungkook gives you a look and nods.

“And wait what, slow down there, I don’t like him–not yet at least–I just like looking at him. And also, I’ve only just been aware of his existence for like, a week, thank you very much.”

“Whatever,” Jungkook says. “It’s basically the same thing. You look at him like you look at food.”

“No it’s not the same thing,” you protest. “And there’s no way I could look at anyone else that way. Food is my ultimate love. Though, itdoes depend on what food it is–”

“_____–”

“For example, the food that you make is not my ultimate love. Not even close. I think I probably look at it like I look at a trash can.”

“Oh my god it was just once! I burned the food once!”

“And blew up the kitchen and then somehow managed to make the icing all watery and–eugh.” You shiver at the memory of Jungkook’s cooking disaster. “Please never cook again.”

Jungkook flashes you a dirty look and waves the argument off. “Okay, but anyways, what I’ve been meaning to say is Tae and I are prettytight.”

“Wait, you’re friends with him?”

“Mhm.”

You stare at Jungkook, dumbfounded. “Oh.” That would explain how he knew Taehyung’s name. Right.

“So if you ever need a wingman–” Jungkook leans closer to you, wiggling his eyebrows.

You punch his arm playfully. “Nah, you,” you say, turning back to your phone. “I can score guys by myself.”

Jungkook laughs and hops off of his stool. “Whatever you say,” he calls over his shoulder. “Anyway, your break’s almost over, rush hour should begin in like, thirty minutes. Get your ready.”

//

As it turns out, Taehyung visits the cafe pretty often; sometimes as a customer, but mostly as a friend, cracking jokes with Jungkook during your break times. Naturally, you decide to join in on the conversations, choosing to ignore the suggestive looks Jungkook shoots between you and Taehyung.

“How long have you been surfing?” you ask Taehyung, slapping his hand away when he reaches for your cookie. No one gets your cookies, ever. Not even really hot guys you may or may not have fostered a romantic interest in.

He pouts and retracts his hand. “Not that long,” he says. “But I surf like, every day now, so I get a bunch of practice in.”

“Yeah, I see you out there a lot,” you say. You pause and feel your face heat up with embarrassment while Taehyung gives you an amused look. “I mean not that I’m actually looking for you or anything, it’s just that you’re like always just there and–”

“Chill, it’s cool,” Taehyung say

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter