~ XIII ~

The Blue Flower

A new day has started behind the closed curtains and locked doors. Voices ring around the hallways and cars pass by behind the window, but everything is perfectly still and quiet in the room, in the hideout for the two of them. It hadn’t been like this for what seemed months even though it was just days, a sense of relief swirling in the darkness around them.

Wonho was still resting on top of ChangKyun - his head on the human’s chest right above his heart, listening to the rhythmic melody created by it beating quietly. His arms were tightly wrapped around the man and even though he wasn’t completely asleep he looked relaxed and calm after long days of distress. The tears he had held in for so long had finally dried up and it seemed that the rationally irrational fear of losing ChangKyun was pushed back in the darkness where it belonged.

The latter was resting his back against the end of the bed in half sitting position. His own, weak human arms held onto the slowly dozing off vampire, one hand gently running through the silver locks and despite the night terrors and painful memories this was a perfect moment for him. He need nothing more, he didn’t want anything else but what he had in this exact second and it was oddly liberating feeling - how little was needed to feel truly content. The only thing he hoped for was that this was enough for the man he was holding as well and that ghosts of past didn’t make him doubt anything.

“Wonho,” he speaks softly and there is a hum in response. “If you can show your memories in such details, not only visually but also in feelings, how well do you remember everything that has happened?” he can feel how the vampire takes in a deep breathe and snuggles closer to ChangKyun.

“The curse of the vampire not only comes the thirst for blood, the fear of sun and seeing everyone dear slowly perishing, it also forbids one to forget,” Wonho speaks a lot more calmly than few hours ago but the pain in his voice is still evident. “The years as a human slowly fade, but everything starting from the excruciating moment one’s whole body dies - poison of a vampire rushing through one’s veins - every detail is as vivid as if it’s happening now,” he explains and now it’s ChangKyun who pulls him closer.

“There are hundreds and thousands of beautiful memories of friends, of lovers, of laughter and mischief, but…” for a second his voice is light and joyful, but then the sadness makes its way back “but all the screams of pain, lives being taken, wars, betrayals, massacres and loses are as clear and it feels like there isn’t enough good memories to fight all them back,” he says and rises up from the comfortable spot he had found and looks at ChangKyun. His blue eyes sad, but at the same time hopeful, full of warmth and love.

“That’s why having a present that wins over memories is more than a cursed creature could ever wish for,” he smiles softly and they both move closer to each other, meeting mid way for the sweetest kiss. It’s just few seconds, just a moment but no more words need to be said to know that this moment is enough for both of them.

“You should go downstairs - eat, interact with someone who is not a pile of overwhelming memories,” he continues and gently caresses ChangKyun’s cheek, the human leaning into the touch for a second, before surprising him with a kiss as a reply.

“Will you sleep and rest?” ChangKyun asks and the vampire nods, stealing one more kiss. In its essence a kiss was such a simple form of affection, but it was also addictive and so obviously they couldn't get enough of it.

“Yes. If I will feel that I need my present to chase away my past, I will go and find you,” he ads with the softest, most precious smile on his full lips and ChangKyun’s heart flutters. He cups the vampire’s face in his hands and it ridiculously feels that his hands were made for this - showing all his feelings to the man before him.

“As you always have and always will,” ChangKyun points out and yet another kiss is stolen, and then one more and more and more, as the vampire gently pushes the human on the mattress and pins him down underneath him. It’s a natural, fluid movement from vertical to horizontal and it feels perfectly right.

“Always,” the silver-hair confirms, looking down at his wonderful now, at the moment what won against the darkness of his past that reeked of blood and ashes. His present, his now was what mettered.

It takes good 15 minutes and hundreds of soft and passionate lip locks before Wonho finally agrees to sleep and ChangKyun leaves the room. It has been a rough night and he feels a bit sleepy himself, but a soon growling stomach would not be the best companion for a good rest. He makes his ways to the kitchen, almost missing a step on the stairs, yet catching himself on the railing. It oddly reminds him of the first morning in the house, but then he was caught by the man he so oddly feared at first, but now has the urge to protect despite him being the weak human between the two.

“Good morning,” he greets the two people in the kitchen, receiving two ‘good mornings’ in return and takes his usual seat at the table, Kihyun placing a mug of steaming deep brown liquid in front of him. He has his baby blue/navy blue striped apron on, over a little bit oversized burgundy sweater, his faded pastel pink hair a frizzy mess on top of his head. He did not look like the almighty and powerful boss he actually was. If anything ChangKyun would describe him as almost mom like - focusing on the golden pancake leaving the pan one after another. Moms were like that - right?

He turns his gaze to Minhyuk - the other one being present in the kitchen - and it’s odd to see him without Shownu, but in a way it was also normal. They weren’t glued together, were they?

“Why aren’t you sleeping?” he asks, making the pixi like vampire to jump a little, as he looked beyond sleepy and not even here in spirit. It takes a second for him to actually understand who is talking to him, but when he does a smile appears on his face.

“Shownu needed to go to the city center for a bit, so I will wait for him,” he explains, folds his arms on the table and lays his head on them. “How’s Wonho?” he shifts the topic and his sapphire blue eyes follow Kihyun’s movements as he places a plate of pancakes in front of ChangKyun and sets a plate for himself as well along with a mug of coffee.

“He’s better. He had a lot stored up and the unfortunate event of my past popping up triggered some far too real feeling memories,” ChangKyun explains and blows at the dark liquid in the mug before taking a sip. “We had a talk, a good cry and now it’s okay. Well, as okay as it can be,” he ads before trying the pancakes.

“Good. He was a mess after Louis for a long time,” Minhyuk says with a nod and ChangKyun looks at him, questioning how he knew that name. He had noticed other tenants of the house knew why Wonho was acting so strange, but he didn’t know how much of the story they knew.

“I was there. I was young - not much older than a century, so I didn’t know a lot of things. For example that killing a coven of vampires twice your age because your friend was in despair isn’t the best idea,” he speak so matter of factly it seems he isn’t fazed by those memories at all. Perhaps he wasn’t or perhaps he just didn’t show.

“Killing a coven of vampire?” ChangKyun asks to clarify and glances at Kihyun, who sips on his coffee so calmly as if the conversation was completely normal. He once said he had his own dark past, the amount of power he displayed a few days back proving it, so he probably couldn’t judge. But how dark of a past one needs to have to accept all sins done by a vampire?

“He shifted from self destroying despair to rage driven revenge for what they did to Louis and both Gunhee and I followed along, both being young at the time. It was a bloodshed beyond imagination - dangerous and fun - but our reputation went down the drain after that,” the white haired vampire explained and ChangKyun couldn’t believe he had described bloodshed as “fun”. He did seem to have a ridiculous amount of enjoyment from slaying the filthy gang ChangKyun once had called comrades.

“At first we were hunted outcasts, but no one really could get too close to us so eventually we became feared legends. It’s still a horror story older vampires remember and we still have a reputation we kind of lived up to few days ago,” he continues with a mischievous smile on his face and it looks as if he actually enjoys such fame a bit too much. “Both Gunhee and I are more of side characters, Wonho taking the front lines, and for a good reason. He brought hell on earth. Literally,” Minhyuk talks with excitement and admiration. It’s admittedly creepy, to say the least, but ChangKyun didn’t know much about the pixi that was clinging onto the tanned giant and quite possibly it was his ‘thing’.

“I see,” is all ChangKyun can reply before returning to his pancakes. There was a lot more darkness, a lot more hidden memories in Wonho’s past. He knew that very well, even without Minhyuk sharing some of it. That only made sense as he had lived on this earth for around a millennium and no one could have a ‘clean record’ after such long time. In a life much short ChangKyun had seen and done horrible things himself. He couldn’t judge, not at all. He understood why Kihyun couldn’t either.

“Gladly all those rules died along with old geezers who tried to sustain them, so no one will ever have to live through such pain. We are free to love and keep our lover by our sides for eternity,” Minhyuk changes the rather dark conversation in a different direction and ChangKyun nods in response.

“That’s something great for you and Shownu too. It’s obvious you don’t want to ever let him go,” ChangKyun points out and Minhyuk’s face goes grim suddenly.

“I won’t change Shownu,” he replies almost too sadly and quietly for his own nature. Kihyun clears his throat and stands up, gathering the empty dishes and tapping out of the conversation he wasn’t even a part of to being with.

“It might not be my business, but...why?” ChangKyun asks and Minhyuk sits up, leaning against the back of the chair. The dark expression on his face is something the human has never seen before and perhaps that’s why it’s so fascinating to him.

“Shownu… is not entirely human,” he says and ChangKyun raises an eyebrow at such statement. “Vampires are not the only creatures of myths that exist out there, we are more noticeable do to the way we feed and how new ones of our kind are made. Other’s can blend in with society better - they always could do that - which has caused wars between the always outcasted vampires and other creatures, but that’s a different story,” he taps random rhythms and patterns on the edge of the table for a moment before continuing to speak. “Shownu is part werewolf,” he finally says and ChangKyun is taken aback.

“One fourth of his blood is pure werewolf. He doesn’t know how or which side of his family carries it. He has never turned and he probably can’t, but he still has the strength, the agility and some of the abilities his ancestors have. The very way how fast he adapted to nocturnal life with me was beyond human,” ChangKyun listens carefully and tries to figure out why Minhyuk wouldn’t turn him. Could it be due to the wars Minhyuk mentioned? Is it something forbidden? Fortunately, he doesn’t have to wonder for much longer.

“I am afraid of what will happen if blood of a vampire would mix with his. Would he turn into a vampire? Or perhaps it would allow his heritage to take over and he would become a werewolf? Maybe he would become the dangerous, uncontrollable hybrid of both,” his voice goes a pitch higher and grabs on the edge of the table, almost crushing it before Kihyun places his hand om the vampire’s shoulder.

“Above all I fear his body might not react well and he might die during the process,” Minhyuk voices his biggest fear and now ChangKyun gets it. It might be a fear each of these creatures has - the fear someone they love might die because of them. Before he got here he could have never imagined such feelings being hidden in the still hearts of monsters feared by the society.

“Shownu has already decided that he can’t leave your dumb , so he will find a way while you panic and drown in stupid ideas,” Kihyun finally joins the conversation and the calming touch to Minhyuk’s shoulder turns into a hard slap on the back.

“Those are not stupid ideas!” Minhyuk tries to fight back, now sounding like his usual self a bit more. He frowns when Kihyun scoffs at him but he doesn’t say anything. Instead he turns back to ChangKyun. “Have you asked Wonho about being turned?” he asks quite directly.

“Not yet. A lot has been happening and it’s obviously a difficult subject for him. Besides, there is no rush,” he replies and the vampire nods in approval of his answer. The kitchen sinks into comfortable silence, only the water running while Kihyun washes the dishes, ringing through the air.

There is a faint, barely there sound of the front door opening and closing and Minhyuk is up from his seat in a second. He, however, returns rather soon, only now wrapped around Shownu like a koala around a tree. He was odd, a bit crazy creature and the world might come to and end in his sorrow if he would have to lose the big, quiet man he so obviously loved more than anything and anyone. The wrath of someone already unpredictable was something that had to be avoided.

Soon enough they leave the kitchen - Minhyuk still tightly holding onto Shownu - and ChangKyun departs to his favorite place - the library - as well. He doesn’t even look what kind of book he picks up and he doesn’t truly understand the plot or the characters or is he reading a phone book or a novel in a language he doesn’t understand, as his own tiredness wins over. Slowly, with book still in hand, he slips into deep sleep despite people walking around and conversations filling the air here and there.

He awakes in the most familiar place -Wonho’s arms. Just like when he had just arrived, when he was getting close to Wonho at first, the vampire is carrying him in his arms as it seems from the library to their room. His blue eyes look down, softest smile on his lips and ChangKyun, even though still sleepy, raises his hand up and rests it on the soft, pleasantly cold skin.

“I’m so glad these are no longer just dreams,” he admits and the vampire stops to press his lips against ChangKyun’s softly.

“So am I,” the silver hair admits, nuzzling his nose into ChangKyun’s hair as the latter rests his head against Wonho’s shoulder. The vampire starts walking again but then stops again, earning a small puzzled groan from the human in his arms.

“ChangKyun,” he almost whisper and looks down at the brunette, who looks up at him in return. “Let’s… Let’s leave The Blue Flower,” he says and ChangKyun is instantly awake, sitting up more straight in the vampire’s arms.

“What?” he asks in shock and Wonho lowers him on the floor before wrapping his arms around the humans waist and pulling him close like that - both of them standing on the wooden floor. “Why?” ChangKyun adds another question, his hands naturally settling on Wonho’s middle.

“Not for long, don’t worry. Just for few months to clear our head, to chase away some dark shadows of the past, to truly be just us two,” he explains and ChangKyun can see the excited sparkles dancing in his eyes and even if he wanted to say no, he couldn’t and he didn’t want to say it either way.

“To where?” he asks, lost in the starr filled, forget-me-not blue eyes before him.

“Wherever we want. Away from this city, away from this country. To places with no one but us or places with hundreds and thousands. I want to show you something beyond the images in my polluted memory. I want… I need new memories with you,” Wonho speaks with utmost passion, almost a childlike enthusiasm and it’s beyond endearing.

“I have never even been outside this damned city,” ChangKyun lets out a small laugh, looking down between them - their bodies naturally melting together - before looking back into Wonho’s eyes. “Okay. Let’s do it,” he nods and is swept off his feet immediately as Wonho lifts him as if he weighs nothing and swirls them around the hallway.

New memories, something beyond fear of losing each other or just the four walls they shared, was exactly what both of them needed. Perhaps such journey was about to bring an outcome unpredictable and life changing, or perhaps plant seeds for future decisions. Whatever it was, they would face it together as one.

Notes:

Hello!
A Christmas gift from me to you!
I think there will be one more solid chapter and then an extra epilogue. So this story will reach an end in January. Can you imagine how it will end?
Also, would you like to have a closer look to some of the mentioned scenes like Kihyun arriving to the house, Hyungwon being turned, Shwonu and Minhyuk first meeting etc. as extra chapters after the main story is complete?
Do use the hashtag #TheBlueFlowerFF if you tweet about the story or check it for my updates on my creative journey
!
Till next time!

 



Other WonKyun Fan Fiction

|| Come Back Alive || Leashes and Kisses || Ribbons and Rings || I'm Thankful for You ||