Lady

하얀소녀

Jooheon took a deep breath as he stepped into the house one morning, not sure what to expect but the ghost waiting for him by the foot of the stairs was a surprising sight for him. She gestured to a room by the kitchen, a light induced sun room that was surprising for a dark haunted house.

 

“I’m Minhyuk.” The ghost spoke and her voice was a echoing inside the old house.

 

“Jooheon.” Jooheon replied out of courtesy.

 

“It’s a shame I could not offer you anything.” Minhyuk said then smiled at him. “I am pleasantly surprised that you can see me.” She said and Jooheon nodded.

 

“Me too.” Jooheon replied.

 

“I am sure that you have heard of my story.” Minhyuk said and Jooheon nodded. “That was true to some extent.” Minhyuk said.

 

“You didn’t kill him did you not?” Jooheon asked and Minhyuk nodded.

 

 

-----

 

It was a beautiful night when Hojoon visited the gumiho and his heart almost stopped as he stared at the beautiful creature that has been misunderstood. He stepped forward and smiled at the gumiho who returned his smile with a frown.

 

“Don’t ruin your beautiful face with a frown.” The shaman said but the gumiho continued to frown.

 

“You’re just being stubborn now.” Minhyuk replied and Hojoon chuckled.

 

“Yes, but is that a crime?” Hojoon replied and Minhyuk sighed.

 

“I already told you to stay away.” Minhyuk replied but Hojoon shook his head.

 

“I can’t do that.” He uttered. “I really want to love you.” He added and the gumiho’s eyes widened.

 

“You can’t” Minhyuk was utterly scared with his declaration.

 

 

“I can.” Hojoon insisted.

 

 

The shaman was persistent and with it made the gumiho return his feelings little by little. But a shaman of Hojoon’s caiber only meant that he had admirers and one of which was the daughter of the high priest, and she was as spoiled as her ancestry.

 

Minhyuk was drawn to the shaman’s room where she was shocked to see the bloody body of Hojoon while the girl held the knife on her hands, laughing hysterically like a crazed person shouting something like “if I can’t have him, no one can!”  before taking the knife and plunging it into her own body.

 

Minhyuk knelt at the dying body and found herself crying. Hojoon smiled placidly and muttered softly, a declaration of his love for the gumiho. Minhyuk smiled at him and leaned down to kiss his lips, and in a way, she transferred her life source to him.

 

“you may not survive now, but in time you’ll come back to me.” She smiled and laid his body down.

 

They heard a scream, from a servant, and her eyes flared, knowing that greedy humans had taken an innocent life, and for selfish reasons. She took light steps as she barred her fangs and her nails lengthen as she slashed every human that went her way. Her eyes were bloody red and she will avenge her lover’s death by any means.

 

“I will make you pay for what you did to my daughter!” The high priest shouted out of nowhere and Minhyuk found herself kneeling as the priest cast his spell and curse to seal the fate of the gumiho.

 

Minhyuk is a strong gumiho but without her life source, she wasn’t able to counter the curse given to her, and thus she found herself in a state she feared; a life that had no purpose.

 

----

 

“oh, that was tragic.”  Jooheon remarked and Minhyuk smiled at him bitterly. “I really am sorry for your loss.” Joohoen added.

 

“it is a rather tragic but ever since no one had seen me until you came.” Minhyuk confessed and Jooheon nodded.

 

“I am special then.” He joked and Minhyuk smiled a bit. “you said life source, does that mean, you’ll die or something without it?” He inquired and Minhyuk nodded.

 

‘Sort of. I am not sure if ghosts can die, but I do feel like I’ll be disappearing soon.” She replied and it shocked Jooheon. “I’m glad I was able to tell someone my story.” She said and Jooheon smiled at her.

 

“Thank you for trusting me.” Joohoen replied and Minhyuk bowed her head a bit.

 

 

“You were rather scared when I first met you.” Minhyuk pointed out.

 

“Oh yes, I was but I guess you are pretty harmless, really pretty I’ll give you that.” Jooheon said and heard something melodious. If ghosts can laugh as beautiful as Minhyuk’s laugh was, maybe Jooheon would not be afraid of them.

 

“Why thank you.” Minhyuk said and perhaps it was the sunlight that hit’s the ghost’s translucent skin or how  it highlights Minhyuk’s eyes, but whatever it was, Jooheon was captivated.

 

“Was it hard to cope? Losing  the person you love I mean.” Jooheon asked and Minhyuk nodded.

 

“It was but existing like this for the last 3 centuries would make you rethink and somehow move on.” Minhyuk replied then turned to watch the setting sun. “It’s getting dark soon, why don’t you return home.” She offered and Jooheon nodded.

 

 

“Yeah, It’s a good idea.” Joohoen replied and bid her goodbye. “Can I return here?” Jooheon asked and Minhyuk gave him a blinding smile.

 

“Of course.” She said and waved him off.

 

 

---

 

Minhyuk felt her face warm and its not because she bathed herself in sunlight. The smile was foreign to her but it felt nice to finally tell someone about that fateful night. Her heart felt light and it was a foreign feeling for her but it was a feeling she would gladly entertain. It has been centuries since she last spoke of the truth, and no one had seen her as she is right now so Jooheon is a pleasant change o her world. But she knew that without her life source, she would not last for very long and with the fading outlines is a telltale of her fate and she is just waiting for her time to come.

 

 

----

 

“You talked to her?” Jun asked as he stirred the hot chocolate given to him.

 

“Yeah, her name is Minhyuk and she’s pretty nice.” Joohoen replied.

 

“Wow that was new, you actually talked to a ghost.” Jun replied and they ended up laughing.

 

“Her story is pretty tragic though, kinda painful to hear.” Jooheon said and Jun nodded.

 


“She had a tough time huh?” Jun asked and Joheheon nodded. “By the way was she pretty?” Jun asked and Jooheon blushed a little as he nodded. “Hyung, you’re blushing!” Jun remarked and Jooheon blushed a deeper shade of red. “Ah, I kinda wish that I could see her too.” Jun remarked and it somehow made Jooheon smile knowing that only he could see the beauty of the ghost.

 

 

It took another week before Jooheon greeted the ghost and he even bought flowers, bright sunflowers to be exact because the place needed something warm and bright to make it less of a spooky haunted house and more of an inviting place.

 

“Thank you for the flowers.” Minhyuk aid as Jooheon arranged it (sloppily but hey he tried) on a vase.

 

“I thought that it’ll be nice to have something not grey.” Jooheon shrugged.

 

“Ah, it is pleasant.” Minhyuk said and smiled capturing Jooheon’s heart like that on cheesy romcom dramas on TV.

 

“Did I tell you how beautiful you look?” Jooheon asked and Minhyuk covered with the back of her hand as she laughed at Jooheon.

 

“You are adorable Jooheon-ssi, that is a funny statement.” Minhyuk replied.

 

“It is not a pick up line though.” Jooheon said and Minhyuk nodded and smiled at him. “I just dropped by, it get lonely when you’re alone.” Jooheon said and Minhyuk sighed.

 

“I am getting used to it, do not worry yourself.” Minhyuk replied.

 

“Still, it is quite nice to have visitors that aren’t screaming like crazy right?” Jooheon asked and Minhyuk nodded.

 

“Yeah, though you are the only one I could talk to. And still, you were scared the first time.” Minhyuk explained and Jooheon blushed.

 

“I am afraid of ghosts, it’s a hard habit to break but you are an exception.” Jooheon said and Minhyuk smiled at the kid.

 

“You sure use your words to your advantage young man.” Minhyuk said and Jooheon shook his head.

 

“You must be mistaken; I am not a player and really am not good with girls.” Jooheon replied.

 

“Oh, that is quite surprising; you are charming when you do use your words to your advantage.” Minhyuk told him and it made Jooheon blush quite harder than he already was.

 

“Please noona, that’s too much of a compliment.” Jooheon said and they fell into a comfortable conversation as the sun set and it bathed the sunroom in orange bliss.

 

Jooheon was smiling as he looked at the ghost and it was very peculiar but he is realizing now what is happening to him and it may sound illogical but it was what he is feeling and somehow he is getting mixed feelings about it.

 

“Do you believe in Love at first sight noona?” Jooheon asked and Minhyuk looked at him quizzically before smiling and then nodding.

 

“It is possible Jooheon-ssi, why have you seen a girl you really like?” Minhyuk asked and Jooheon nodded. “then congratulations are in order then?” Minhyuk asked and Jooheon laughed at her.

 

“I need to confess to her first.” Jooheon said and Minhyuk agreed.

 

Summer was short and along with the chill of the autumn wind, the bright sun was slightly dim and failed to illuminate the sky as it did during summers. But the moon was rather bright in contrast to the dark night and Jooheon had often found himself after dusk still talking to the ghost of the gumiho.

 

“You seem to be getting paler noona.” Jooheon remarked and Minhyuk just shrugged it off.

 

“Have you confessed to her Jooheon-ssi?” She asked back but Jooheon shook his head.

 

 

“I will though, after my birthday this weekend.” He said proudly and it somehow made Minhyuk’s non existent heart ache a little.

 

“I wish you all the best my dear.” She replied and Jooheon smiled at her showing his dimples and his eyes turning into crescents, just like the moon the hanged above their heads.

 

Jooheon was excited as he partied with his brother and friends on the eve of his birthday. He is finally turning 21 and that is a milestone they all are happy to celebrate. And Jooheon can finally confess his feelings to that special girl he was eyeing for God knows how long now.

 

As they waited for the clock to strike twelve, his mother had taken out the cake and placed the candles for him to blow later and his father had opened some expensive looking bottle of champagne for his eldest son. The kids, all were at least 18 years old now, were happy to be served alcohol although the adults were eyeing them just in case they get really drunk quickly and should they need to restrain the teens later on.

 

Jooheon wore a party hat and a ridiculous headband that looked like a bee antennae and he was a little nervous but heck, he’ll be perfectly legal in a few minutes so who cares if he looked childish now. They finally had a countdown and when the clock struck 12, Jooheon blew out the candles while everyone cheered for him.

 

But nobody expected Jooheon to suddenly have a fever and his breathing became laboured until he passed out on the floor, clutching his chest as he took in laboured breaths. There were screams all over and bodies colliding, it was a chaos and no one knew what happened to Jooheon but everyone wanted him to survive.

 

 

----

 

Minhyuk can feel it, she felt weakest tonight by far and the moon was shining bright tonight to mock her. It was finally time and her heart was a peace with this coming and she knew she had lived a ton lot to not want this passing peacefully. “Hojoon-ah, will we meet again?” She whispered to the autumn wind and closed her eyes.

 

----

 

It was a long ten minutes when Jooheon coughed loudly and panted. He looked around and shook his head as he struggled to stand up. “Hyung.” Soonyoung called out trying to help him stand up.

 

“I need to see her.” Jooheon gasped out and Soonyoung was confused.

 

“It’s Minhyuk” Jun uttered and Wonwoo knitted his brows. “Go help him!” Jun shouted and even though he did not fully understand, Wonwoo helped Jooheon up.

 

“I know you don’t understand but, I think Jooheon needs to go to the house by the forest.” Jihon told Soonyoung’s parents who nodded and started the van.

 

Jooheon was ushered in and the teens clambered inside before the van sa driven towards the direction of the house. Jooheon felt the strong pull his eyes dilated and as soon as the van pulled over, Jooheon was out of it and running towards the house.

 

“It’s best that he do this by himself.” Jun informed then and sighed as he gathered everyone to tell a story  far too fiction to believe in.

 

 

 “Minhyuk!” Jooheon shouted, it was a call of desperation, like a lover about to lose his other half. “Minhyuk!” He repeated as he ran up the stairs and towards the room he knew Minhyuk would be staying.

 

His instincts were right as he found the almost translucent body of the girl by the window. He knelt down and touched her face, eyes widening as the color was rushing back to where his skin touched hers and he knew, he has to do one thing.  He gently lifted her head and he leaned down to kiss her on the lips. Something warm passed from Jooheon’s heart  and travelled out of his body and towards his lips. Minhyuk parted her lips as the warmth touched it and soon her body was engulfed in bright light.

 

Jooheon panted as he watched bright light, and his widened as the ghost he had come to love now sport long hair that is white as snow, with fluffy ears and nine tails. The gumiho has returned and Jooheon was at awe at her beauty.

 

“Jooheon-ah.” Minhyuk spoke, her eyes are gold like the moon. “I am Minhyuk, and I owe my life to you.” She said, lowering her body to bow at the man who had returned her life source.

 

“Then please spend it with me.” Jooheon quickly replied and Minhyuk sighed.

 

“You are as stubborn as your ancestor.” She said with a smirk and Jooheon laughed. “Then let me give my life to you once more.” She said and held out her hand to the human who took it and pulled her into a kiss. “Happy birthday Jooheon.” She said as they parted and they both looked into each other’s eyes.

 

 

----

 

It was already morning when Jooheon led the gumiho out of the house, and after three centuries, finally Minhyuk could experience the world once more. They saw the four teen cddled by the van while his father was dosing off on the driver seat. He smiled as he held the gumiho’s hand tighter and led her towards his father.

 

“Hi dad.” Jooheon greeted and the man rubbed the sleep off of his eyes and looked at his son and the beautiful girl he was holding.

 


“Are you okay Jooheon?” His father asked and Jooheon nodded.

 

“I want you to meet Minhyuk.” Jooheon introduced the girl who bowed her head in respect.

 

“I know what she is, Jun had this story and you know what, I don’t want to hear what you did there because we all heard.” His father said, making both Jooheon and Minhyuk blush. “And if the change in hair color is anything to go by, I sure would need a strong cup of coffee before I hear more of your story.” He said with a smile and gestured for them to board the van.

 

----

 

“You what? Hyung!” Soonyoung was babbling away as he tried to understand what Jooheon was trying to explain while Minhyuk was humouring Wonwoo and Jun who were asking the gumiho tons of questions.

 

“Yeah, mated. She was supposed to mate with Hojoon the night he was killed. It happened to be his birthday too.” Jooheon explained.

 

“They had .” Jihoon deadpanned earning glares from the brothers. “What? We are not elementary kids hyung, you had .” Jihoon reiterated and Soonyoung rolled his eyes.

 

“Thank you for being blunt.” He uttered and Jooheon smiled at them.

 

“That’s why I was able to see her, her life source has been passed down from generations but it only manifested in me when I took the dare a month back.” Jooheon explained and then turn to smile at the gumiho.

 

“Oh please you have the tendency to be subtle, you went all in already!” Jihoon said and Soonyoung had to pull his boyfriend (yes they finally admitted it) out of the room.

 

Jooheon watched from across the room while the gumiho entertained the two curious teens, smiling to himself at how he had fallen in love with the least likely girl, an entity that he was most afraid of, and ending up being dragged into a mythical world on his birthday.

 

“Jooheon-ah.” Minhyuk called out and Jooheon look up to gaze into those bright yellow eyes. “Happy birthday.” She uttered and leaned down to peck him on the lips.

 

He could live with this.

 

--

 

a/n: hey there.. thank you for staying with this story. Anyway, I am not yet sure if I can write the mating scene but if there are interested readers, let me know so I can plan it out somehow.