Chapter 1

That's Odd

Jongin loved trees. He loved climbing them and hugging them. He protested every time the government decided to cut one down. He believed trees are the shoulders humans need to lay their head on when they have a bad time. 

One day, Jongin decided to eat his lunch at the top of a tree. He loved the soft breeze that enhances the swaying of the trees as he listened to the birds tweet. It was paradise.

As he reached to the top, however, he heard a thud from below. He looked down to see a boy flat on the ground. His first instinct was to climb back down to help him up but he immediately ran off with his hair fluttering around.

"That’s odd," thought Jongin as he starts eating his cheese sandwich.

 

The same thing happened the next day, the same small boy with soft hair falls face first and runs off. And the day after, and the next. Jongin was very curious now.

So the next morning, he decided to not climb his tree. He hid in a little bush around the corner and watched from afar. And there's the boy; whom attempted to climb the tree but failed. He stood up embarrassed and ran off.

But this time, Jongin ran after him and grabbed his arm so that they're looking at each other.

"Who are you?" the boy asked.

"The owner of that tree, call me Jongin."

"Uh hi Jongin, w-what's up?" he stuttered as his face started flushing a bright crimson red.

"Are you that boy who keeps face planting in front of my tree?" the boy became flustered and quickly makes a run for it, as usual.

"That's odd."

 

The next day, Jongin decided to stand right in front of the tree, to make sure the other boy doesn’t avoid him again. He saw him run to the tree only to stop when he noticed Jongin.

"Hi, we meet again. I didn't catch your nam-" it didn’t take long for the boy to blink twice and run off again.

"Oh, that's odd."

 

Jongin grew a liking to this shy boy as he tried and failed every day. And so, a week later, he grabbed his hand and said, “Let me teach you how to climb a tree." Jongin grabbed the first branch and he copied him. With intertwined hands, they pushed themselves to the next branch. He gave the boy a reassuring warm smile as he smiled back happily. Jongin blushed at how cute he looked.

They both made it to the top of the tree and sat down facing each other.

"Why are you so determined to climb trees" he asked.

"I could ask you the same question; why are you so obsessed with trees?"

"Trees give me comfort; the type of comfort I can't get from anyone else. I can complain to them about my daily problems and they won't talk back. They just listen. What about you?"

"Oh, I just wanted to learn how to climb a tree. After seeing you do it, I just thought ‘wow he's so cool’ and decided to try it out when you weren't around. But you found out." the boy chuckled.

 

For the next few months, this became a daily routine. They would climb up the tree together and talk about their day.

Until one day, Jongin didn't show up.

"Well that's odd"

The boy waited and waited but he never came. He became worried until he received a text message saying, "Go up and climb the tree first, I'll be there in a min :D"

But he has never climbed a tree himself before. Jongin was always there holding his hand and guiding his way up. Nevertheless, he replies back with an “okie (:”

The small boy imagined Jongin’s warm smile and soft hands as he reached for the first branch. With all of his might he pushed himself to the next. After a few more branches , he finally made it to the top.

And Jongin was waiting there all along.

He held up a sign that practically yelled out “You did it!"

He continued to hold up more adorably designed signs of support and care. The boy couldn’t hold back his smile as the signs shifted while his eyes read every word carefully.

But then…

"I've known you for so long, but I don’t even know your name! That won't stop me." Jongin put the signs down and walked up to him grabbing his hands

"It's odd how I'm asking this without even knowing your name. Will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes!" he exclaimed as he hugged him. Jongin returned the warm embrace as he felt a sense of warmth running throughout his body. It must be love.

"I’m Kyungsoo. Now let's go carve our names on our tree."