One In A Billion

The Stare

The events depicted in the story were based off a real video captured of the main character at a recent event..

------------------

Blinded again. 

 

Tzuyu's eyes twitched and blinked furiously as she desperately tried to remove any remnant white stings in her eye caused by a stray camera flash. You would think that after more than a year consistently attending media events she would be an expert in preventing precisely such a thing happening again. Maybe not. 

 

The lights and sounds beamed furiously in the direction of Tzuyu and her entire group. They proudly stood on stage shoulder to shoulder with countless important officials and dignitaries as they celebrated the opening ceremony of Seoul Welcome Week, with Tzuyu and her group invited as honorary guests and the faces of the entire event. The interests of the public were in full show. Besides the droves of media staff that clamoured to cover the event, not too far back were the group's legion of passionate fans, proudly and famously named Onces, screaming and cheering in delight at the mere appearance of the group. Furious and dedicated as they were, and a safety barrier as well as an entire team of security staff struggled to keep them in order.  

 

Tzuyu instintively glances periodically towards her adoring fans and the peeping eyes of the journalists and their cameras in rotation. 

 

Then, of all the flashing lights, all the sounds, one camera in particular caught her eye, in the far left corner, from a distance. Like a butterfly drawn to a flower her eyes glanced over in that direction instantaneously. Not surprising was that the camera had already been pointing in her direction. Tzuyu looks deeper and more meaningfully towards the camera, tilting her head unconsiously as a result. She may well had been punished once again with a bright blinding flash but at this point she did not care. Her full attention was at the man that was holding the camera.

 

The man sparked her curiosity.

 

The world and all that around her started to move in a slower pace. Everything else that was irrelevant felt blurry. It felt forever, as if the world had stopped revolving, as she continued to stare in the direction of the mystery man with the camera.

 

The other journalists who were starting to pick up on this unusual and unconventional behavior from Tzuyu began to shift their focus towards her. Cameras started panning in her direction almost immedietly. Sensing this, Tzuyu quickly repositions her gaze away, yearning for an immediete need to return back for a longer and thorough stare towards the target of her curiosity.

 

" Who was this person? Why was she so intrigued by him? ", she thought to herself.

 

One more glance.

 

That is all she needs. And it can be a fast one.

 

Tzuyu begins to roll her eyes, betraying her body language yet so evidently obscure about it. A seasoned veteran, that is what being in a nation's eyes constantly trains you instintively to do. As she locks on to the camera one more time, eyes fully focused on the camera lens and the man behind it, her attention gets cruelly and prematurely robbed by an event official, just as she was about to lock eyes with the mystery man.

 

The mystery man with the camera slowly dissapears and fades behind the crowd of swarming cameras and droves of fans, never to be seen again.