One Shot

Coffee Prince

One Shot

“You're staring.”

The female's voice caused Himchan to jump, tearing his gaze away from the man standing at the other side of the café. It was just another day of the week where Himchan found himself sitting in the same chair, at the same table, in the same coffee shop with a drink in front of him. Occasionally Himchan would order a pastry to accompany the Iced Americano he always ordered and on days when he actually felt bold, he would order something other than his regular drink.

It had been that way since the Matoki Café opened a month ago. Himchan started coming to the café out of convenience when it first opened being that it was on his way to the rehearsal studio from his apartment. He initially had the plan to grab his coffee to go but it all changed when he discovered the view that was unique to the café: the owner. Himchan hadn't expected to see someone who looked as young as him as the owner of the new chic café.

The owner, who Himchan quickly learned was named Yongguk, was tall with a lean, muscular body. Himchan could tell that Yongguk was fit by the way his biceps looked in the button down shirt that he would wear. His raven hair was a bit long and wavy and would some times cover his eyes if it wasn't styled back or parted. Himchan had noticed just how elegant his hands were when Yongguk had handed him his drink one day. His fingers were long, thin, soft and manicured. But what got Himchan the most was Yongguk's smile. He had never seen a smile quite as big, gummy and heartwarming before in his life. At first glance Yongguk seemed like he could be a tough thug but whenever the owner would smile his features would soften causing Himchan's heart to flutter.

Since then Himchan started to come to the café on a daily basis – not to get his coffee to go, but to plant his down in one of the seats to enjoy his coffee and the views. Yongguk wasn't the only view that Himchan liked to see. The seat that Himchan always sat in was just next to the big window that faced the main road. Himchan some times liked to spend his time people watching but his eyes would always drift from whatever he was looking at or doing back to Yongguk when he heard the owner's baritone voice.

He picked up his black tea, not tearing his eyes away from Yongguk just yet. “I'm not staring.” He said before taking a sip of the hot tea.

Today was just one of those days were he just so happened to have his best friend with him. Hyosung wanted to hang out with him since they both had a free day. It had been a few weeks since they were able to see each other due to Himchan being busy with orchestra rehearsals for the upcoming concert and Hyosung busy with her clothing store. Himchan loved his noona, he really did. She was always there for Himchan whenever he needed her through the tough times in his life.

“Yes,you are.” Hyosung said, nudging Himchan in the arm. “Is my Himchannie in love?”

“I'm not in love.” Himchan took another sip of his tea, hoping that Hyosung can't see the rose tint that was now on his cheeks. “I just like the view.” He turned to the window to look out at the people walking down the street.

“There are a lot of good views here in the café. I can see why they're pretty popular.”Hyosung said as she looked at the other male workers. Matoki Café was one of those café's that only hired male workers. It was a concept that was popular among women, young and old. Her eyes shifted from the tall boy that looked like he was still underage to the owner. “Let me guess, it's Mister Tall Dark and Handsome over there.”

Himchan wasn't surprised that Hyosung was able to pick Himchan's crush on the owner. They grew up together and knew each other like the back of their hands. It wasn't like Himchan was obvious about it. At least he hoped not.

“I don't know what you're talking about.” Himchan said as he looked at a group of elderly women walking down the street chatting about something.

“You should go talk to him.” Hyosung suggested.

Himchan cocked an eyebrow and turned to look at his best friend. “Talk to who?”

“Don't play dumb with me Himchan.” Hyosung said as she turned back to face him. “I can easily tell that you have a crush on the owner.”

Himchan sighed. “I was pretty obvious wasn't I?”

“Just a little.” She smiled at him. “But I don't think anyone else noticed.”

Himchan looked over to Yongguk then back to Hyosung who's smile grew into her signature gummy smile. “What?” Himchan whined.

“Talk to him!”

“I can't!” Himchan said louder than he intended to, causing a couple of people around them to look in the direction of their table. Himchan's face heated up when he noticed that Yongguk was one of those people to look over, curiosity written on his face. Himchan wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

Hyosung brought her hand to , covering it as she laughed. “Look Himchan,” She cleared as her laughter died down. “I think it would be good for you to just talk to him. It doesn't have to be anything flirtatious or anything. Just talk to him like he's a friend.”

“I don't know. What if I say something stupid or if the filter in my brain doesn't pick up all the filth in my mind?” Himchan asked.

“Well he needs to know the real Himchan. Better to be upfront about who you really are than to hide behind a mask that isn't you.” Hyosung checked the new text she has received and pouted. “I have to go. Sekyung needs help in the store and Taehee had to take the day off because she has the flu. Call me and tell me what happens.” She winked.

“Nothing's going to happen.” Himchan said as he watched her get up from the seat.

“Always so pessimistic.” Hyosung said to him before walk out of the café.

Himchan turned back to look out of the window, watching Hyosung disappear down the sidewalk. He sighed. Maybe she was right. Maybe he should talk to Yongguk and say more than “large iced Americano please” and “thank you”.

Himchan turned back when he saw the reflection of one of the servers standing behind him. Himchan already knew that boy by name. He actually knew all of the workers here by name. It wasn't like he was stalking them. Going to the café everyday and seeing the same name tags, you tend to quickly learn their names. Yongguk however was the only one that didn't wear a name tag. Himchan managed to overhear one of the baristas, Youngjae calling Yongguk by his name. Himchan just managed to repeat his name over and over in his head so that it would get etched into his memory.

Himchan was surprised when Jongup slide a slice of chocolate fudge cake and a large iced Americano on his table. “I didn't order this, Jongup.” He said.

A bashful smile spread across Jongup's face. “It's on the house. For being a loyal customer since we've opened.”

Jongup didn't give him time to respond as he walked away almost immediately. Himchan watched the boy walk back to the counter to say something to both Yongguk and Junhong who were behind the counter. Himchan quickly looked away when Junhong glanced over as Jongup was talking. He hoped he wasn't too obvious.

Himchan looked down at the cake and coffee and smiled to himself. He wasn't planning on staying after Hyosung had left as he had finished his tea but now he was given more of a reason to stay a little longer.

******

Himchan stretched his arms in the air, throwing his head back he shut his eyes as he arched his back. He lowered his arms and rolled his shoulders, tilting his head side to side. His body ached from the intense rehearsal that he just had with his orchestra group. They had been practicing vigorously for the last week as their concert was in a month's time. Sitting on the floor in front of the janggu wasn't the best for his back sometimes and with the hours he spends practicing for the concert, his back wasn't a happy camper.

He sighed as he walked down the night's street of Hongdae. He was used to leaving practice late at night so having to walk home in the middle of the night wasn't a big deal for him. After rehearsal, he liked the silence that accompanied him on the way home.

He turned the very familiar corner and his eyes immediately landed on the coffee shop and the thought of Yongguk flooded his head. He smiled to himself as he walked up the road. He was a bit surprised to see the lights of the café on this time of night. Normally when he walked by at this hour, the café would be pitch black.

He shifted the messenger bag that was draped across his body as he walked closer to the café. The outdoor lights that were strung up and wrapped around the trees illuminated the patio and fenced entrance of the café. He froze when he heard a noise coming from behind the café.

“H-hello?” He said as he inched closer to the fenced-in entrance.

“Sorry, we're closed.” Yongguk's baritone voice was heard from behind the café before he appeared with boxes in this hands.

Himchan's breath hitched in his throat. The black button down that Yongguk normally wore as a uniform was now tied around his waist, his upper body only being covered by a black wifebeater giving Himchan a better view of Yongguk's muscular arms. Himchan's knees felt weak when he noticed the tattoos on Yongguk's arm and the big one that was on his chest. Himchan had seen the John Lennon tattoo that was on Yongguk's inner forearm before when the café owner had rolled up his sleeves but he had no idea just how many tattoos he had.

Himchan grabbed hold of the fence when Yongguk lowered the boxes on the ground to wipe his brow. The café owner smiled when he noticed that Himchan was the one standing there.

“Oh, Himchan right? I wasn't expecting you to be here.” Yongguk said, wiping his forehead causing Himchan to mentally curse him out.

“And I wasn't expecting to see the lights on at the café. There's normally no one here when I'm walking back home from rehearsals. I thought someone could have been breaking in or something.” Himchan shrugged.

“Nope. It's just me.” Yongguk grinned.

“I see that...” Himchan shifted. He was starting to become self conscious talking to Yongguk. He wasn't the self conscious type. He was normally full of confidence; it weirded him out the effect that Yongguk had on him. “Then...I'll let you finish whatever you're doing. Goodnight.” Himchan smiled at him.

“Wait.” Yongguk said when Himchan his heels to walk away. The musician turned back around with a questioning look, wondering why Yongguk had stopped him. “I'm...almost done here. Mind waiting for me to take these boxes in?”

Himchan blinked. “Why?”

“So we can walk together.” Yongguk said.

Himchan waved his hand. “You don't have to do that. I'm not that far from my apartment. It's fine, really.”

“Don't worry. I don't live that far either.” Yongguk said. He lifted the boxes that he had put down on the ground and turned back to Himchan. “So you'll wait?”

Himchan nibbled his bottom lip and nodded. The butterflies in his stomach fluttered around when Yongguk smiled at him before disappearing into the café. Himchan quickly opened his messenger bag and pulled out a small hand held mirror. He looked at his reflection in the mirror and sighed when he saw just how tired he looked. There was nothing that he could do about the bags under his eyes right now so he'll just have to live with that for the moment. He shoved the mirror back into his bag and quickly checked his breath. He looked down and ran his hands over his shirt, smoothing out the non-existent wrinkles.

Yongguk reappeared from the café after a couple of minutes with his uniform shirt back on. The black button down was left open and untucked, allowing Himchan to still see his wife beater and most of his chest tattoo. Himchan found himself cursing out the café owner in his mind because of how good he looked like that. Himchan wondered if there even was something – anything – that Yongguk didn't look good in. Yongguk turned around and locked up the now dark café. Himchan wanted to throw something at Yongguk when the café owner rolled up his sleeves.

“All set.” Yongguk said as he walked out to the street. “So how far are you from here?”

“Just a few blocks away.” Himchan said as he and Yongguk started to walk up the street. He wrapped his hands around the messenger bag's strap across his chest in hopes that it would help with his nerves.

Yongguk stuffed his hands into his pockets and hummed. Silence fell between them for a couple of minutes before Yongguk spoke. “You mentioned that you were on your way back from rehearsals? Are you an idol trainee by any chance?”

Himchan lowered his head and chuckled. “No, I'm not an idol trainee but I am a musician.”

Yongguk's eyes widened. “Really? What instrument?”

“Mainly the janggu but I can play a few more traditional instruments considering that I was training most of my life.” Himchan said, trying not to sound like he was bragging.

Yongguk whistled. “Wow. That's...surprising.”

“Surprising?” Himchan asked.

Yongguk shrugged. “You just didn't seem like the traditional musician type. I thought that maybe you lived your life as an ulzzang or a model or something. You have the face and body for both of them.”

Himchan's face instantly started to burn. He wasn't expecting Yongguk to be so straightforward like that. He smiled bashfully. “You're too kind, Yongguk.”

“It's the truth.” Yongguk said. “So what made you go into traditional music?”

Himchan looked up and the night's sky and smile. “My grandmother. She's the one that introduced me to it when I was in elementary school. My parents thought it was a good idea to put me in classes. I fell so in love with it that I ended up going to the National Gugak¹. Middle School and High School. I even majored in Traditional Arts at the Korea National University of Arts.”

Himchan looked back at Yongguk when he was met with silence. He blushed when he noticed Yongguk staring back at him in astonishment.

“...Wow. That is really impressive.” Yongguk said.

Himchan smiled bashfully. “You think so?”

Yongguk nodded. “I do! You don't hear a lot of people our age being so interested in gugak. It's kind of rare. You're a rare breed, Himchan.” He said, causing Himchan to laugh.

“I guess I am.” Himchan said. He stopped laughing when an idea popped into his head. He opened his messenger bag and pulled out a flyer before handing it to Yongguk. “The orchestra I'm in is having a concert next month. You should come. I mean, if you want to. You don't have to if you don't. Like you said, not a lot of people our age likes gugak.”

“I'd love to come.” Yongguk said, cutting Himchan off from his rambling.

Himchan's eyes widened. “Really?”

Yongguk smiled. “Yeah. Definitely. Matter of fact, do you have another one of these fliers so I can post it in the café?”

“You'd really do that?” Himchan asked.

“I would.” Yongguk took the other flyer that Himchan handed him.

There was no way of wiping the smile from Himchan's face. The fact that Yongguk seemed interested in what he did made Himchan like the café owner more. Even the fact that they had already gotten to his apartment wouldn't stop Himchan from smiling.

He started to fidget when he stopped walking. “This is me.” He said, pointing to the building.

Yongguk looked up at the building before catching Himchan's gaze. “Will I see you tomorrow at the café?”

“Do you even had to ask?”

Both men chuckled.

“I just wanted to make sure.” Yongguk said before waving. “Good night Himchan.”

Himchan waved back as Yongguk started walking down the street. A voice in his head told him not to let Yongguk walk away, to invite him up to his apartment.

“Yongguk!” Himchan called out causing the café owner to turn back around. He bit his bottom lip as his nerves got the better of him. “Thanks for the free coffee and slice of cake the other day!”

Yongguk flashed Himchan his gummy smile. “Anything for my favorite customer!”

 


1Gugak translates into Traditional Korean Music.

 

So I just realized after writing this that I had left out Daehyun.  I mentioned everyone else but forgot to mention Daehyun.  Don't worry he works at the cafe too.  I hope you guys like it so far!

Please subscribe, upvote and comment!

Till next time lovelies~