Chapter 1

The Painter and the Pianist

Taehyun's days worked around his daughter, EunSol. He woke up promptly at 6:30 AM, made her breakfast, argued over which toys she could and couldn't bring to school and dropped her off. She was a beautiful little girl and he loved her with everything he had, he loved her dark hair, her chocolate eyes, the way she curled up when she slept and how she braided his hair, giggling and telling him he looked like a girl so he would gasp and tickle her, pretending it was the biggest insult in the world and he hadn't heard it 208 times. He had raised her on his own since she was a year and a half, they were okay even through the stuggles because they had each other, she wasn't stupid and Taehyun was sure she was aware of more than he gave her credit for, especially when it came to money trouble and how lonely he was. Even so, he had to admit she was growing into a beautiful young girl and he was proud of her. 

She was 5 when she was introduced to a piano. Taehyun's parents were having a clear out and he had driven up with EunSol to help with the heavy lifting, his Dad's health wasn't what it used to be and being the mummy's boy he was he wasn't going to let her do all the heavy lifting. When they opened up the garage his Mum's old piano sat there, faded and used but full of character and EunSol had been facinated by it, Taehyun left her at the piano with a smile, working around her. When his parents had offered it to them her little face had looked so bright and Taehyun just couldn't say no, so they hired a van and moved it to his. The school were the ones to recommend Song Minho to him and had offered to help him apply for help with paying for lessons for EunSol. At first they agreed to a trail period but it became clear to both Taehyun and "Call me Mino, everyone does" that EunSol had something special, so Taehyun worked harder to provide the lessons, taking on a part time retail job alongside his painting. 

Taehyun looked forward to Friday evenings when Mino would come along to their house, making light talk with Taehyun while EunSol warmed up, her little fingers running up and down in scales. Taehyun longed to know Mino more, to have him stay for dinner or something, but being his daughter's teacher- Taehyun knew not to ask. 

In the end it was Mino who asked.

"Eunsol said something today that gave me an idea?" he started as Taehyun handed over the lessons fee.

"Oh ?"

"she said she wanted you to love piano as much as her, that maybe you'd be less sad if you did..." Mino knew he was tredding on fragile water, that he could potentially be building a bigger wall between him and Taehyun where he wanted to kick what was already there down. "There's a small festival being set up in a park near the school, it's mostly classical performances but there will be food and drink and some play equiptment, I think EunSol would enjoy it, and maybe you would too. If you'd like to come with me"  

Taehyun had never seen Mino's face look so serious, it was almost disconcerting-it just wasn't like Mino. He hoped he wasn't too concerned about him, after all it had been this way for years. 

"of course, when is it?" 

"next Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. We could go on Sunday for EunSol's sake, I think there will be less people and more targeted at a younger audience" 

"Okay, she'd like that"

"would you?" 

Taehyun paused before nodding, almost relieved when the playful glint returned to Mino's eye. He wasn't used to being called out, even if things were hard. But he had his chance now, his chance to be himself and share his precious time with someone he was happy to. Maybe for once he could even be a little bit selfish.