Chapter 1

The Ups and Downs

“Yah! Park Chanyeol!” A young woman with long, curled hair stomped towards a tall male, his hair a mess from recently rolling out of bed.

“What is it now?” The male yawned with a hand reaching up to scratch his head, making the hair up top even more unruly than it was previously.

“You didn’t wash your dishes last night.” She pointed an accusing finger at him before redirecting it towards the kitchen. There was no wall separating the kitchen from the living room; a full view of the refrigerator, counters, kitchen table, and everything else in the kitchen were visible from the living room couch by simply turning one’s head to the right. “Go wash them now.”

“How do you know it was me? It could’ve been someone else.” He yawned and pushed her aside with one arm. “Now excuse me as I go freshen up.”

“I’m not letting you go until you wash your dishes.” She jumped in front of him, blocking the way to the bathroom.

“I told you. It wasn’t me,” he argued, agitation showing on his face.

“That’s what you said last time, but it turned out that it was you.”

“That was last time. This time I’m being honest. I didn’t even come back here after my classes ended. I’m serious!”

She wavered after seeing the sincerity in his face. She was too soft on the inside, even though she hated to admit it, and because of that she started to believe him. “If you’re really serious,” she started, "then do the pledge.”

He scoffed. “Do I have to do that?”

“Yes! We, as dorm mates, all agreed on that.”

A disgruntled grunt bellowed from him before he gave in. Raising an arm, he said, “I, Park Chanyeol, pledge to you, Im Ahreum, that I did not leave my dishes in the sink until morning without washing them.”

Ahreum smiled, took a step out of his way, and nodded towards the bathroom door. “You may go.”

“Thank you,” he said with a fake smile.

As he once again started towards the bathroom, another person came down the stairs, yawning the entire way. With eyes closed, she walked towards the kitchen until she bumped into the sink, causing her eyes to flutter open. “Oh, the dishes are still here. I guess he didn’t wash them after all,” the female said, oblivious to the bloodshed that those two sentences were going to start.

At that, Chanyeol froze. He was only a foot away from the door, yet he wasn’t able to move with the dark aura behind him, freezing up his spine. “Park Chanyeol…” A low, animal-like voice came out of Ahreum as she came closer to him.

“Okay, it's not what you think.” He turned to face her, a hand stretched straight out in an attempt of a shield.

“Oh, really?” She raised both brows at him. “Because what I think is that Seul-ah saw you dump your dishes into the sink last night.”

“She saw wrong. Maybe there was a burglar, or maybe she saw the ghost of this house. She’s weird. I’m not surprised if she happens to be able to see paranormal stuff.”

Ahreum did not believe anything that came out of his mouth, and therefore turned to Seul-ah. “Seul-ah,” she called to the other female who was rummaging the fridge for her morning jellybeans.

“Yes?” Seul-ah answered, head perked up with a hand holding a jellybean packet.

“Who is the he that you were talking about?”

“What he?” she asked back. Her big, round eyes were staring at Ahreum in questioning.

“The he that didn't wash the dishes.”

“Oh. It was Chanyeol.” She pulled open the small packet before picking one blue jellybean, bringing it up to , and trying to bite it in half. Though the attempt failed as the bean was hard from being in the refrigerator for too long.

“No it wasn't,” Chanyeol blurted. “Seul-ah, you saw wrong. I didn't come back here until 1 AM yesterday since I was hanging out with my friends at a bar.”

“But I saw you come home at 11,” Seul-ah said. She then took out something from her pocket, went over to the two, and showed them a picture.

Chanyeol silently cursed under his breath while Ahreum squinted her eyes at the photo of what looked like Chanyeol, standing in front of the sink, placing in a bowl and chopsticks. “Well, you lied again,” she said. “Good job taking that picture, Seul-ah.”

Seul-ah shrugged and pocketed her phone. “I only took it because I thought that he would leave the sink cluttered again. Make sure he cleans everything until it sparkles,” she said before hopping back up the stairs.

Chanyeol silently cursed once more, bolting towards the bathroom as soon as Ahreum diverted her attention somewhere else. “Yah!” Ahreum yelled. “Come back here!”

She jostled the doorknob, but it was already locked. “Park Chanyeol!” Her hands repeatedly banged at the door. “Open the door!”

“Okay then, since you want me to open the door so much, you wouldn’t mind that I’m wearing nothing right now, right?”

Ahreum stopped banging, heat rising to her cheeks. The door slightly moved, but she immediately pulled it closed. “I change my mind. I'll get you when you're done!”

“Wait however long you want. I'm going to enjoy a nice, long shower.” He smirked on the other side of the door.

“I swear that I’ll wait for you to come out!” At that, she kicked the door, stubbing her toe after doing so, and quietly winced.

The doorbell sounded in the midst of it all. “I think our new roommate is here,” Seul-ah said while coming down the stairs and turning towards the kitchen to grab another jellybean packet. She found that one packet wasn’t enough to satisfy her and felt like more was needed before starting the day.

“Roommate?” Ahreum questioned in confusion.

Seul-ah nodded and replied, “They sent a notice to us a few days ago. It's right here.” She pointed towards the refrigerator door where a yellow piece of paper was stationed with a magnet.

“I never noticed that was there,” Ahreum said. “Whatever, I’ll just open the door.” She rushed towards the front door, quickly opening it to reveal a person carrying luggage in one hand, a backpack in the other, and a guitar case strung over his back.

The guy smiled. “Hello, I’m Gong Myung. It’s nice to meet you.”