Chapter Eleven

Snowdrop

Yewon felt the refreshing night breeze as she rode unto the back of Yoongi's motorcycle. The cold night air contrast with the young girl's warm cheeks as she hold unto the older boy's waist. "Oppa, where are we going?" She asked, partly to distract herself from her fluttering heart. 

"To a place I haven't visited in a while."

"wae yo?"

"I guess I didn't really want to."

Yewon was gonna asked Yoongi again when she noticed that they're heading towards Han River."

"But Oppa... Isn't this Han River?"

"it is," he replies casually as he parked and mounted off the motorcycle. He also helped Yewon down.

"How are we supposed to pray in here?" The young girl asked looking puzzled. She examined the deserted park as Yoongi walk to the grassy slope. The older boy lie down on the grass with his hand behind his head. Yewon observed the blonde boy as he lie down down on the grass contentedly. She slowly followed him and lie down next to him while Yoongi smiled happily. Yewon smiled back at him but look away as soon as she felt Yoongi's heavy stare. She instead diverted her gaze to the night sky.

"Ah.. It's so pretty. There's so many stars," she remarked.

"Doesn't the sky feel much closer here?"

"Yeah, it kinda does," Yewon agrees with a grin. With the towering buildings behind them and the peaceful silence of the night gave the park a solemn atmosphere, Yewon finally understood why Yoongi brought her there. 

"When I was nine, my dad and I used to come here every night. I used to pray here every time because the sky felt so close and it seemed like everyone in heaven could hear us."

Yewon smiled at Yoongi's words, closed her eyes and clasped her hands. Dear God, please take care of my parents. I know they are still alive somewhere. Please help us find them soon, Yewon prayed silently. 

Yewon slowly opened her eyes when she finished and turned to look at Yoongi who's still staring at the sky.

"Oppa."

"Uhh."

"Thanks for bringing me here."

"You're welcome," replies Yoongi as he reach out for Yewon's hand and slightly squeeze it. "Have faith. It's all gonna work out."

Yewon held Yoongi's hand tighter as she felt a reassuring warmth envelop her. She turned to look at Yoongi again but the growing hotness on her cheeks made her turn away. She slowly tried to loosen her hold and pull out her hand but Yoongi just grasp it tightly.

"You know...I used to live life as if I was just there. Going through the motions of life but never really heading to anywhere." Yoongi spoke out of the blue that it surprise Yewon. "Like a long, cold, dark winter that never ends. Then, one day I met..." He stopped and turned to his side and face Yewon. "I found a snowdrop."

Yewon glanced at the blonde boy who's now lying on his side and staring straight at her. "A snowdrop?" She asked slightly confused.

"Yeah... They say in myth, snowdrop symbolizes a promise to break winter's spell and bring back spring." 

"Really!"

"Its a flower that works its way through the snow to bloom."

Yewon turned to her side to face Yoongi as she realize something. "Oppa, is snowdrop your favorite flower?"

Yoongi scanned Yewon's face and smiled. "Yeah, I think it is."

Yewon felt her heart pounding on her chest as Yoongi keeps staring at her. With only a few inches separating their faces, she felt her cheeks turn bright red. They stayed staring at each other until Yewon's phone suddenly rung. She quickly pulled her hand from Yoongi's hold and sat up. She took out her phone from her sweater pocket and answered her Aunt's call anxiously. 

"Yewonie, I have good news," the bright voice of her Aunt Sowon calmed the tense young girl. "The man they found wasn't your dad and the police also informed me that they are expanding their search to the islands near Kunsan as they believe your parents might have been cruising south of the Taean peninsula when the storm hit them. " 

"That's great news, Auntie." Replied Yewon, smiling brightly. "I'm really glad you called me. Thank you." 

" I also called to let you know that I'm coming home. So don't wait for me and just go to sleep," Sowon instructed her niece. 

Yewon put the phone down when the call was finished. She immediately notice that Yoongi was now sitting next to her. "It wasn't my dad," she told Yoongi as she hug him happily. 

"Don't worry Yewon-ah, they are gonna find your parents soon," he assures Yewon as he hug her tighter. 

"Thanks Oppa." 

"You're welcome." 

" Oppa." 

"Uhh..." 

"Why did you stop coming here?" 

Yewon was surprised when Yoongi suddenly let her go and turned away from her. "It's not really a happy story," she heard him speak in a strained voice. 

"Oppa, what happened?" 

" Actually, my mom.... She was diagnosed with lymphoma when I was a kid. The treatment was especially hard on her during the last stage. There were times she would be screaming in pain and one day when she looked particularly frail, my dad took me here. We would just lay down on the grass for hours while staring at the sky. Somehow, I started praying to God to give me one more day with my mom. And when I saw her the next day she looked much better. After that day, my dad and I would come here every night after we leave the hospital and I would asked for another day with my mom. That lasted for months but one day....," Yoongi stop speaking for a moment and choke-up. "One night we didn't come here and the next morning my mom died." 

Yewon stared at Yoongi's back with her tears rolling down her cheeks. " Oppa," she called softly. 

" I think we should go home. It's late," said Yoongi standing up. 

Yewon wipe the tears off her cheek as she stood up and followed Yoongi who's now walking to his motorcycle.