The Memories

You're So Magnetic

 

 

Eunbi threw her back pack on her king-sized bed as she got mad to think how GOT7 ruined her day again.

 

She ran her fingers through her hair and in a deep breathe and sat on her pink cushion, to ease her mind.

 

Her phone vibrated for once and she took it out to read a new message.

 

It was Joo Hyuk.

 

'I hope your dad didn’t find out that you're taking the bus this whole day. Ha-ha! I know you're mad with those idiots about what happened earlier but don't bother to think about them! Don’t stress yourself, Eunbi. Call me if you need anything.'

 

She chortled after reading the message and noticed a cute emoticon that was sent to her after the text. Joohyuk is the best friend that I've ever had. He's always there just when I need him.

 

Eunbi put her phone on a table as she sent him a reply and went to get a hot bath as it was late in the evening.

 

Changing into a bath robe, Eunbi filled her bath tub with warm water and waited in the bathroom while turning on a slow music with her phone.

 

Letting her lavender scent bath bomb in the warm water, she stepped into the tub, laying down to calm her mind and enjoyed her time alone in there.

 

Her minds suddenly remembered about the news of her mother's marriage.

 

She bit her bottom lip of her mother's words that flashed in her mind.

 

 

Eunbi played with her plushies and some toys by herself, in her bedroom. She put three plushies together to sit on small chairs around her hot pink table with some of her cooking set were filled on the table.

 

"Ms. Yeon Hwa, have a cup of this tea. I baked a cake for you and the others, too!" Eunbi beamed and placed her yellow toy cups at the front each of her plushies.

 

She enjoyed playing it, alone even when she was the only the child in her family.

 

She giggled and playfully took a sip of her drink.

 

Until she heard loud noises from the outside of her room. She could tell it was her parents' voices.

 

"Oh! Mom and dad are home!" She grew excited and hurriedly headed to the door and twisted the door knob.

 

Eunbi went to the stairs and eventually stopped when she caught the sight of her parents were bickering.

 

"I told you, it was nothing!" Yoon Hee heaved a deep sigh when she tried to defend herself. She was wearing a short white dress that revealed too much skin which matched with her light brown hair above her shoulders.

 

"Nothing?! What do you mean by nothing when I saw you left the hotel with him?!"

 

"We were discussing over the next project together and had drinks, that's all. What were you thinking, Hyun Soo?!"

 

"Stop with your lame excuses, Yoon Hee! I'm tired for keeping this and acting like I know nothing over what you did behind me!"

 

Yoon Hee chortled and put down her purse on a dining table, "What are you going to do now?! Sue me?! Just tell me!"

 

Eunbi hid behind a wall and startled at the loud voice when she wasn’t expecting to witness the fight between her mother and her father.

 

"After all, we're married for no reasons. Don’t act like you care about this matter when we don’t love each other!"

 

Hyun Soo loosened his necktie and his face was flamed red, "Sure. We don’t love each other in the first place. But remember, Eunbi exist for a reason in this world! Where's your responsibility as a mother to your own daughter?"

 

Yoon Hee smirked, "Says someone who doesn’t even know his responsibility as a father to his daughter."

 

"What?!" Hyun Soo grew impatience at the words.

 

"I don’t think there's only one solution to this problem," Yoon Hee ran off to the master bedroom to get something from a drawer of her dresser.

 

It was a big envelope and she headed out to meet with her husband and threw it at him.

 

Eunbi bit her bottom lip of fear and waited what was going to happen.

 

"What is this?" Hyun Soo asked when he picked the envelope and took out a few pieces of papers in it.

 

His eyes were glued at the words written on the paper, "A divorcement?"

 

"I'm tired having to act innocent all this while. I realized something. I don’t love you. Not for once. We happened to be together because of this stupid arranged marriage!"

 

"So, you're really going to do this because of that guy?" Yoon Hee didn’t answer him and she remained silence.

 

Eunbi covered with her palm when she couldn’t hold the tears anymore.

 

The reality of her parents were going to separate stabbed her heart.

 

"…What about Eunbi?" Hyun Soo eyed her.

 

"I'm going to live on my own. You're her favorite, after all." Yoon Hee sneered before picking her purse.

 

Eunbi heard her mother's words very well and she knew Yoon Hee was going to leave the house, just by looking at her body language. Eunbi hurriedly ran downstairs and went to her mother.

 

"Mom, please don’t leave me! I'm sorry if I make you feel burden with me. Please don't!" Eunbi pleaded with tears rolled down and wet both of her cheeks.

 

Yoon Hee eyed her daughter with void of emotions. She didn’t feel guilty at all by looking how her daughter was begging and held her hand, firmly.

 

She pulled her hand off and in a deep breathe, "That is my final decision."

 

With then, Yoon Hee made her way to leave the house and Eunbi went to chase for her and cried for her mother.

 

Hyun Soo went to pull his daughter and embraced her tightly. Seeing how her daughter broke down to see her mother left the house made his heart ached.

 

 

"Ms. Eunbi!" Eunbi got startled at the call of her name and she heard a few knocks from the door of the bathroom.

 

She realized that she was asleep and the past memories were played in her head.

 

"Yes, Ms. Gong!" She answered the maid and stopped the music in her phone.

 

"It's almost dinner time. Your father will be home soon." She told against the door.

 

Eunbi stepped out from the tub, "I'll be there later!"

 

Eunbi stood in front of a large mirror with her bathrobe and stared at her face.

 

Her cheeks were wet. She knew that she had probably cried during her short nap. Why am I remembering the memories that I hate?

 

---

 

It was a dinner time and Eunbi stepped downstairs and saw her maid was busy preparing all the meals on a dining table.

 

She furrowed her eyebrow at the large amount of foods on the table. "Ms. Gong, are we having a feast or something? You prepared too much."

 

"It's me. I'll be joining for the dinner!"

 

Eunbi heard a husky voice answered her question and she turned around to see a figure was smiling brightly with his black and red stripes sweat shirt to match with his dark blue jeans.

 

 

 

She gawped, "Haneul oppa!" She beamed of joy before wrapping both of her arms around his waist.

 

"Oh no! You're going to make me die because of tight hug!" He joked and Eunbi pulled off to check him, from head to toe, "You've grown to become a handsome man now."

 

"Are you getting attracted to your own cousin now, Go Eunbi?"

 

"What if I say 'yes' for your question?" Haneul laughed with her tease and he ruffled her hair. The strawberry and peach scent of her shampoo could be smelled.

 

"When did you arrive? I thought you totally forgot everything in Korea after living in Japan." She half-pouted and half-smiled while he pulled a chair for her.

 

"This afternoon but I went to meet your father and my friends first," Haneul sat next to her and eyed the girl up and down, "Look at you now. You've grown to be a beautiful young lady."

 

"Glad you notice that." Eunbi wiggled her eyebrow and heard someone coughed to interrupt them.

 

She shifted her attention to her father who just returned home.

 

"I rarely see my daughter acts in this way," Hyun Soo took a seat at the head of the dining table and Eunbi's smile vanished.

 

Haneul helped to pour some drink for him, "Samchun, you're getting skinny. Have you been skipping your meals?"

 

Eunbi picked her chopsticks, "He's getting busy these days. I've been eating at home by myself most of the time."

 

The dining room turned to become silence with Eunbi's words and her father just didn’t know how to answer her.

 

Haneul tried to break the awkward situation, "This kimchi tastes good!"

 

"Of course! Ms. Gong is the best when it comes about kimchi," Eunbi fed a spoonful of her rice before picking some meats in her plate.

 

"How long you'll be staying here?" "Two weeks. I'm here due to semester break," Haneul answered.

 

The dinner seemed a bit awkward for Haneul since he was the only one who had to start a conversation.

 

Until Eunbi finished her last bite of meal in her plate and noticed her father had done eating.

 

"I'll do the dishes!" Haneul grabbed a few plates and bowls to be brought to the kitchen.

 

"It's okay, Mr. Kang. I can do this," Ms. Gong wanted to take the plates from him but Haneul insisted.

 

"It's okay. I'll do it. You can rest first. You cooked for us. You're helping me, right, Eunbi?"

 

Eunbi froze at her seat after finishing the last sip of her drink, "Huh?"

 

 

---

 

 

Joohyuk was on the brink of falling asleep before his ears caught the sound of a puppy whimpered somewhere outside near with his room.

 

He switched on his table light to check through the window. A girl bent down to look around the bushes, just outside of his house area.

 

"Cherry! Where are you?" She called a few times and tried to find her puppy but it was nowhere even when she had been hearing it whimpering.

 

Joohyuk decided to grab his sweat shirt and wore it before rushed out from his house and headed to the main gate.

 

"Oh! I found you!" Joohyuk saw the girl tried to pick her puppy from a drain as she bent down even more, "…Wait...a second.... Cherry. I'll bring you home."

 

"What's the matter?" Joohyuk asked out of the curiosity when he went to check it more closer.

 

She startled at the unfamiliar voice and stood up, "I'm trying to take my puppy. I lost it when we were walking around the neighborhood."

 

Joohyuk heard the puppy and he glanced at the girl who went back to struggle to reach for her white Pomeranian puppy.

 

 

"Let me help you," he spoke and rolling up his sleeves to pick the white puppy and managed to hold it in his hand for once.

 

The girl clasped both of her hands of joy when Joohyuk handed the pet to her.

 

"Oh my God, thank you so much! If you weren't here to help, I might not get my puppy back," she pouted and caressed the puppy in her hands.

 

Joohyuk let out his soft chuckle, "Yeah. I had to or else I won't get a good sleep because of your puppy," he joked.

 

She gawped, "I'm sorry about that! I didn’t know I'd be disturbing you."

 

"It's alright. Do you happen to live in this neighborhood? I've never seen you before. You don’t look familiar," Joohyuk bravely asked.

 

"I came here to visit my aunt today and that's why you've never seen me," she answered him and her phone rang in her pocket.

 

She held her puppy with one of her hand and answered the phone call.

 

"Oh, mom! I've found Cherry! We're leaving now? Alright, I'll be there," she hung up the phone call and kept it back in her pocket.

 

"I have to go now. We're going back to Incheon. Thanks again for helping me!" She beamed and waved her hand to say her goodbye to Joohyuk.

 

He heard she was talking to her puppy as they walked to leave his house area and shook his head while chuckling.

 

"Looks like I won't be able to sleep." Joohyuk sighed when he shut the front door closed behind him.

 

"Maybe I should play a game," he suggested to himself and dragged his legs lazily to his room.

 

 

---

 

Eunbi rubbed her thumb across a silver heart pendant in her hand. It was a gift from her mother on her 6th birthday before she left Eunbi and her father for another man.

 

 

Eyes prickle with tears and she stared at it and remembered promises that her mother said to her.

 

Those words about how she loved and cared for her daughter so much.

 

"You wouldn’t be doing this to me if you really love me," she whispered to herself and threw the pendant on her bed.

 

She leaned against the head of her bed and wiped off the tears on her cheeks.

 

A soft knock was heard from the door and she was a bit surprised to think who would be knocking at the time when she was about to sleep.

 

Hyun Soo opened the door to meet his eyes with hers and he flashed a small smile, "Do you mind if I enter your room?"

 

"Come in." She said, softly and he shut the door behind him before taking a seat on her bed.

 

Eunbi wasn’t looking at his face. He saw how she tried to avoid his gaze.

 

"Seems like your mother had told you about the news." He spoke to break the silence between them. Eunbi nodded her head, weakly, "I guess you already know about that too."

 

"She called me earlier. She was hoping that you'd come to see her on her wedding."

 

"I don’t feel like to go," Eunbi took one of her plushies and rubbed it to control her emotion from bursting in tears in front of her father.

 

Hyun Soo heaved a deep sigh, "I know you're mad for what she did but it's not a fault to see her again. She's your mother. It has been almost twelve years, Eunbi. I'm sure she misses you so much."

 

"If she misses me that much, she should have come and see me."

 

Hyun Soo scooted closer to his daughter, "Eunbi, listen to me. Just for this time, go and see her again. You're her daughter, sweetheart. Don’t you miss your mom?"

 

"There's no way I'm going there alone." She gazed at her father with no expression written on her face.

 

"It's up to you then. I can't force you to make the decision. But, let me know once you've decided for it."

 

Hyun Soo stood up from her bed and her cheeks, "Get some rest. You need to be early for school tomorrow." Hyun Soo bent down and pecked on her forehead, "Good night."

 

He left the bedroom and Eunbi stared until the door closed. Somehow, her heart softened to think that her father was still there for her, even when she needed her mother the most.

 

 


 

I decided to let you guess who she's going to end up with in the end. You'll know it soon. Don't worry ;)