Classmates

THE MISADVENTURES OF MARK TUAN. *EDITING
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Mark got home that night, Jinyoung didn't stay long. In fact, he merely walked Mark to the University gates then his heels and headed home without so much as a goodbye. Granted, he got an odd call before sprinting down the street.

Retracing his and Bambam's earlier steps led him back to their dorm where he found the door ajar. Finding it suspicious, Mark checked the number of the dorm several times before he cautiously nudged it open and ducked his head in. The stench of coffee was strong enough to scrunch his nose but nothing else seemed misplaced.

Atop the coffee table, Bambam's laptop illuminated the room giving the area a soft glow. When he came closer, making sure to close the door, he realised he was looking at Bambam’s blog. Just like Jinyoung had said there were many posts about the coffee shop specials making the male smile.

"Sorry I ditched you. 

Startled, Mark straightened up and his ears tinged red almost immediately having been caught snooping. "It's fine, I wasn’t–" 

"It’s alright, I don’t put anything that revealing on my blog." Bambam laughed as he approached, a towel around his shoulders, soaked hair haphazardly sprawled across his forehead. Mark rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "It’s lame, I know." He walked to the small kitchenette that the dorm provided and plucked a mug of coffee from the cheap machine. "Want one?" 

"No, no," Mark argued, grinning. "I think it’s cool. I could never keep up with a blog, besides, nobody would read it. There’s nothing interesting going on in my life." He added an extra shake of his head, denying the hot coffee. 

The younger walked over and took a seat on the sofa, looking back at Mark. "Honestly, in the beginning, it was just somewhere to put my thoughts, I almost didn’t want people to read it but," he paused, shrugging, "then people started to comment and advise me and I really liked meeting and talking to new people."

Mark took a seat on the sofa and glanced at the laptop again. “So do you actually meet up with internet friends?”

"Sometimes," he hummed, looking up at the ceiling in though while biting his plump lower lip. "Of course I have to scope them out a little bit, you know, make sure they aren’t–" 

"Forty year old men?" Mark finished and they both laughed.

"Yeah," Bambam nodded.

"My mom was so afraid of me being on the internet, I guess that’s why I became an outdoors kid."

"I'm the opposite." He noted, although it was obvious from the beginning.

"That’s not bad, though," Mark felt the need to add.

"I know." Bambam seemed content with the reaction, he didn’t mind what people thought. Now that his blog was quite popular it reached people he knew in real life and when they’d speak to him about it, he wasn’t shamed. A couple people felt the same way as Mark, neutral, some used it to keep a tab on Bambam (like Jinyoung) and others seemed to think it was attention seeking. He tried not to let it get to him either way.

"So what do you post about?" Mark asked, kicking off his shoes so that he could hug his knees and shuffle closer to the younger boy.

"Just everything," Bambam explained, scrolling aimlessly. He came to a halt at a few text posts. "Like, it’s not an everyday thing, just when something interesting happens or my thoughts get the best of me and I need an outlet." Mark nodded along, not making a sound but Bambam knew he was listening. "These few posts are about Jackson..."

Mark glanced at the screen and felt as though he was reaching out to an intimate side of Bambam he wasn’t sure he was at the right level of friendship to access just yet. So far, the young Thai had been open so Mark didn’t see why not.

"So this is a more recent one, about how I was going to bring up the cheating thing, here are the replies. People really do have some good advice on here," Bambam's voice seemed to get lower, more of a whisper. Mark eyed the boy cautiously, not wanting to probe. He put the laptop aside and turned fully to face the older.

Mark sat up straight, legs crossed. His brow quirked in a questioning manner.

"I know that you must be sick of hearing about Jackson but I can’t help it. I think I’m obsessed." Bambam confessed, his fingers rubbing against one another. "I really love him and I just can’t believe it could be over like this," he sighs but Mark lets him speak his mind, "it was the can’t eat, can’t sleep, reach-for-the-stars, over-the-fence, world series kind of love. He made me feel things that I never knew I could, you know? He just made me feel safe and he’s the only proper boyfriend I ever had. When everyone gave me disapproving looks for being who I was, coming out to the world, it was Jackson, Jinyoung and me against the world." Bambam bit his lip and offered a grin, "Now, you're a part of the squad."

Mark gave an affirmative nod and Bambam turned to the screen. 

"So, as I was saying: some people said it was a bad idea to bring it up, that I should stop creating problems for myself and just be happy with how it was. Some said I needed evidence but majority of them agreed with you, Mark," Bambam scrolled through the seemingly endless comments. "They said it's good to air things out that are bothering me, especially because relationships work on trust and that's something I believe in wholeheartedly but I'm afraid he thinks I can't trust him at all, he stormed out before I could really explain."

Mark reached out and placed his hand over Bambam's. He didn't know what to say – he knew what he wanted to say, how he wanted to ask where he'd ran off before but he wanted to wait until Bambam told him himself. "You did the right thing." he decided on the reassuring approach. "Hopefully he'll be smart enough to realise that and he will come back. If not, well, he's really not worth the effort. You're a good person, Bambam, I can already tell." 

Suddenly Bambam closed his laptop, his smile pressed thin as he placed the laptop on the coffee table and stood up. "Thanks, Mark, really." he said, "I'm going to go to sleep now. Do you start classes tomorrow?"

Mark tensed up, "Ah, yeah," he was definitely nervous and Bambam's smile widened. 

"You'll be fine, I think we have most of the same classes. Jinyoung has classes on Monday and Wednesday."

"Oh really?" 

"Yeah, he's taking business because that's what his dad would like, though he's really into acting. You should see the movies he made sometime." Bambam seemed a lot more relaxed as he leaned against the doorframe of his bedroom. "So he takes business classes on a Monday and theatre on Wednesdays. I don't have class on Wednesday so usually I go watch him rehearse." Bambam added before he pointed to the bed. "Goodnight, Mark."

"Goodnight," Mark's smile grew wide as he heard the other exaggerate the 'a' in his name as an 'o' sound and stood up, ready to take a shower himself. He headed for the bathroom and took a glance at the kitchen wondering if he could clean up for Bambam. Everything seemed clean as is, so he advanced to the bathroom where he started the shower and began removing his clothes. Just as he took off his boxers and piled them on the toilet lid, he caught a glimpse of white and red in the trash can. Upon closer inspection he realised it was tissues, blood soaked. Quirking a brow, Mark wondered why Bambam didn't tell him about it though if he suffered a nosebleed, why would he? Still, the older was suspicious as he backed away, trying not to think about it.

Passing the mirror, Mark noticed something else out of place. Painkillers and a small travel-sized first aid kid. The bandages were gone. Mark frowned, dipping his fingers under the sprays of the shower. These weren't the usual for just a nosebleed, he realised, but couldn't remember seeing any injuries on Bambam's body, despite the boy wearing shorts and a short-sleeved shirt to bed. He wondered if he should ask but seeing as Bambam was asleep, now, he didn't want to intrude. Forcing himself to overlook it, Mark climbed into the shower and later went to bed. 

- - -

Mark got up alone the next morning, his eyes barely open as he brushed his teeth. Memories to be had flashed in his mind and he thought of the fun times ahead of him, the new friends and the new experiences. Speaking of which, he should be bashing elbows with Bambam in a race to finish brushing his teeth before either got spat on however his future morning nemesis was nowhere to be found and come to think of it there was silence throughout the whole dorm. Mark finished cleaning up, ran a comb through his mousy locks and popped a pimple before leaving and peeking into the living area.  

"Bambam?" he called out but no one replied. He brought a hand to the nape of his neck and scratched until he coaxed a yawn, arms reaching high into the air while spiderman sock-clad feet thumped across the floor. Knocking once on the other's door, Mark ducked his head inside and noticed a small lump under the quilt c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter