Chapter 1

By Your Side

"You're injured."

"I'm fine, hyung."

"No, you're not. Hanbin, I want you to take care of yourself more. You work so hard for us and for the fans. You've been a great leader and you've already done so much. You're in so much pain right now, I don't want to let you perform for the upcoming concert. I think you should rest." Jinhwan sighed. "I don't want you to get worse." he whipsered in a low voice half wanting for Hanbin to hear and half wanting for him to not. But the younger heard it.

Hanbin looked down the floor understanding how Jinhwan is feeling right now. He always treat him like his own little brother whom he loves so much. The older had always been worried and cared for him more than anyone else does. Whenever he stayed up all night in the studio to compose songs or when he push himself too hard to get their team perfect, getting so stressed out, Jinhwan would always be by his side cheering him up and comforting him. Hanbin had always rely on his hyung for everything. When he misses home or needs comfort, he would always find Jinhwan and have some small talks with him so that he will feel better. Jinhwan always has the right words to say when he needs it.

"Hanbin please..." Jinhwan trailed off. "Health comes first. The fans will understand."

"I'll think about it, hyung. Don't worry." Hanbin smiled at Jinhwan to make sure his hyung won't worry too much for him.

"Let's go to sleep my Jinanie. You yourself need to rest well for the concert too." Hanbin said childishly and grinned widely just to lift the mood up.

Jinhwan just nodded and smiled softly to Hanbin and walked to his bed. Hanbin knows his hyung is overly worried for nothing. He likes it though, having someone who actually cares and loves him. He went to bed and fell asleep after a while.

But Jinhwan, on the other hand, couldn't sleep. He's thinking way too much. About their team members, about their upcoming concerts, about Hanbin. Ever since they first met as trainees, he can see Hanbin is so passionate about what he does. He loves and respects the younger for that. And as time passed by, he see how Hanbin can sometimes be so vulnerable and need someone to comfort and cheer him up. At those times, Jinhwan would become a big brother for Hanbin and make him happy. After all, he's still a young teenager chasing for his ultimate dreams through so many hardships. Jinhwan knows Hanbin has a lot of tasks to do and has always been living under too much pressures since he's the leader. That's why he cares for him the most. He's always worried and always telling Hanbin to stop pushing himself so hard. Hanbin is also thankful for that too.

As Jinhwan is lying awake in his bed, he hears some faint whispers. He turned and looked at Hanbin's bed where he sees Hanbin whispering something.

"Hanbin-ah?" Jinhwan asked.

No reply.

He gets up and walked towards Hanbin's bed to see if he's sleep talking. And he isn't wrong. He sits on Hanbin's bed, figuring out what he's saying.

"I'm okay... don't worry" he heard a soft whisper.

"Aishh... this kid" he thought, saying he's fine even in his dreams.

Without him even noticing, his hand moves forward near Hanbin's face. His fingers caressed Hanbin's face, admiring it. He traced Hanbin's eyes, cheeks, nose and when his fingers came across his lips, he backed away immediately as his heart beats faster, not knowing what happened. He blinked a couple of times and shake his head constantly. He stood up and was about to walk away but Hanbin grabbed his hand and let out a soft "No…" and then release it slowly. He checked if Hanbin is awake but he's still sleeping.

Thump thump… thump thump…

He can hear his heart beating so fast.

"What's wrong with me?" he thought and then went straight to his bed. He fell asleep not long after that.

 

Next morning.

Hanbin woke up with a painful sting in his eyes. He tried to open them slowly but he couldn't bare the light coming from the window between the curtains. He feel like his eyes got worsen. He closed his eyes and turned around so that he wouldn’t be facing the window anymore. He opened his eyes again and this time he was able to do it. He blinked a couple of times to make sure he could really open them. After a minute or two, he saw Jinhwan still sleeping on the other side. He checked the time and it says 9:08 am. He was actually surprised to see Jinhwan still sleeping till this time. Jinhwan was usually the one to wake up no later than 8 am and always the first one to wake up. He wonders if Jinhwan stayed up till the dawn. A guilt rush upon him because he exactly know that his hyung was overthinking and worrying a lot for him that he wasn't able to fall asleep.

He pushed his thoughts aside and got up and walked to the bathroom to wash up. He looks at the mirror in the bathroom and saw himself with red and sore eyes.

"Oh god, no." he muttered.

He started to get worried. He looks horrible and there is no way that he can perform for the upcoming concert unless he gets better in time.

"Damn it" he cursed and quickly get out of the bathroom so that he can just go back to bed and hide his eyes from Jinhwan because he's pretty sure that the older will make a big deal and tell everyone. As he stepped back into the room, he was startled by Jinhwan sitting still on his bed looking straight at him.

"God you scared me, hyung." he said and turn his face right away.

He knew he was too late because he heard his hyung saying "Oh my god Hanbin, your eyes got worsen." with a concerned voice. Jinhwan immediately got up and walked over to Hanbin to check his eyes. He put his fingers on Hanbin's chin and turned to face him as the younger was facing the other side.

"Hyung, I'm fine." Hanbin groaned.

”SHUT UP KIM HANBIN!" Jinhwan shouted. "YOUR EYES ARE RED. I KNOW YOU'RE HURT. STOP SAYING YOU'RE FINE WHEN YOU ARE NOT.”

Saying Hanbin was startled was an understatement.

"Kim Hanbin, stop being so stubborn and get some rest. I am literally begging you. It hurts to see you like this." Jinhwan let out in frustration. He was tired of the younger saying he's fine.

Hanbin looked at his hyung in disbelief. The older has never been this angry with him before. He has never shouted at him before. This was a surprise for him. But he knew that Jinhwan just wants him to rest, not let himself all worked up and get tired.

"It hurts to see you like this"  the words repeated in his head.

He felt happy because Jinhwan really cares about him but also mad at the same time because he made his hyung sad.

"I'm telling the members." Jinhwan said and walked over to his bed to search for his phone.

He told everyone about what's happening and then it was finally announced that Hanbin won't be performing for the Nagoya concerts. The older felt bad because he knew how much the younger loves performing. But still, with his condition, he knew he made the right choice.

After like 6 hours without talking to each other, Jinhwan starts the conversation.

"I'm sorry for earlier. I shouldn't have done that. It's just that I freaked out when I saw your eyes and was worried that you might be hurting so bad." he apologized.

Hanbin just smiled and walked to Jinhwan's bed and sat next to him.

"Saranghaeyo hyung~" Hanbin giggled. "For caring about me more than I care about myself. For being there for me whenever I needed someone. And for knocking some sense in me that I should rest." he smiled and hugged the older.

Jinhwan looked at him and smiled. For a minute, Hanbin was lost in his smile. He just stared at Jinhwan.

Thump thump… thump thump…

He can hear his heart beating faster. He was getting closer to Jinhwan's face, staring at his hyung's lips, until he was cut off by Jinhwan who is waving his hands in front of his face.

"Hanbin, did you hear what I just said? I swear you need some rest. You're spacing out." Jinhwan stated.

"Uh… what did you say again hyung?" Hanbin asked smiling shyly, rubbing the back of his neck.

I said "Let's go get some ice-cream but seems like you need rest more than you need ice-cream."

"NO! I love ice-cream. We will go. I can rest later. Besides, I'm not even tired." Hanbin grinned.

"Are you sure?

"Yes."

"If you say so then."

And just like that, the two went off.